Truck insurance bill ... Big surprise; went down!

We added two teenage drivers to our policy a few years ago. I don't look at the bill because it's too depressing.
My ex boss told me his nearly doubled with same two cars, teenaged daughter added. Since now is the third time around, he’s not as bothered…

No kidding... had I know just how bad it was going to be, I would have spent more time looking for a jalopy instead of a newer car.

Thankfully my wife pays the bills. I just cry whenever I try to set up the budget and think about what I won't have left over to spend on toys next year...
When the wife pays the bills it doesn't seem it is with my money.

For me, it resulted in a one-time credit, and after that the rates went right back up and continue to climb. I am paying more now than what I did before the reform.
The biggest change for Michigan motorists is that mandatory comprehensive lifetime no-fault personal injury protection (PIP) insurance coverage has been replaced by a tiered system that allows individuals to opt-out or purchase as little as $50,000 worth of PIP coverage for medical expenses under certain circumstances. Did you change the PIP coverage ?

315$ to $500 here. That is for 1 car out of my 3 pc insurance package.
House went up 23%
Other car went up 46%

Sad part I cant find anyone that would beat it(all 3 total) by $100 which is my threshhold to move.
The way I see it all of these EV's that are getting in wrecks and the insurance companies are totaling them is why your insurance is going up.

Mine has remained the same since August, 2020.
This is Twilight Zone stuff. Every single aspect of owing a vehicle has gone up. Repairs and body parts being a big one. Who is your insurance company? Is this the same Insurance Company you have had since 2020? Do you know their "AM Best" rating?

Remember when you were 16 and they told you as you get older the insurance would drop? They lied.
“Your insurance will drop once you hit 25!”

It did not in fact drop at all, nor did it drop when my wife turned 25. I have been paying ~$220/month since I bought and insured my first car at 18… granted we now have 2 cars and 2 drivers with full coverage but I digress.

Nice! Without having to do anything?

I switched back to progressive from GEICO so my rates went back down like 25%

This is Twilight Zone stuff. Every single aspect of owing a vehicle has gone up. Repairs and body parts being a big one. Who is your insurance company? Is this the same Insurance Company you have had since 2020? Do you know their "AM Best" rating?

It is not "Twilight Zone" stuff, just because you say it is, Biff.
Have been insured with Erie Insurance since 1993.
Since I am a long term customer in good stead, my policy is covered by their Rate Protection Endorsement. This means, according to the company, Biff, that my entire policy premium will remain the same until I make a change. (ie: purchase another vehicle.)
I did when I purchased the 2020 vehicle. My premium went up at that point. It has stayed the same since purchasing that vehicle, Biff. One thousand and seventeen dollars /year full coverage for all four vehicles in my signature, Biff.
I'll put my company up against your Flo, Gecco, or the Allstate thug that you and your cronies seem to bounce back and fourth between on a yearly or six month basis.
When my wife was sued for over 200K in a lawsuit that spanned over 7 years, Biff, not only did my premium not go up, it actually went down. That's right, Biff, my premium actually went down.
That's the benefit of thorough insurance shopping, and going with a quality company that is prudent about underwriting train wrecks.
I shop every two years. Once I could have saved $60.00 a year on home/auto combined by going with one of the lesser companies. Merely chump change. I'd rather be with a quality company.
I've done my homework, Biff.
Perhaps you should make less noise, and go do yours.
Buh-Bye Biff.

I just got my State Farm renewal for my 2019 F-150. $606 for six months, up from about $300 when we bought it in early 2020. That is with multi policy discount and have been a customer for over 20 years. I did a quick check on Progressive and it looks like I can get all my vehicles insured with identical coverage for less than the cost of my F-150 alone on State Farm. I had then years ago with no trouble, but I hope it isn't a bait and switch.

I've heard Texas car insurance is higher than Michigan, but your case disproves it. I'm paying $1,200/6 months for just 2 cars (full coverage), 2 drivers, no accidents, in Michigan.

I heard the same when relocating from the Illinois side of metro St. Louis, where I was paying about $500.00 per six months for the same cars and coverage. Like I stated earlier, I don't see how Progressive is half of what the others charge, but she's been holding relatively steady for the past couple of periods.

The way I see it all of these EV's that are getting in wrecks and the insurance companies are totaling them is why your insurance is going up.

The way I see it...and this is strictly based on geographic location...is we rather suddenly have millions of "new" people in the USA, many of whom (at least in these parts) have no licenses, valid ID, insurance, etc. The whole "uninsured/underinsured" requirement can be a steep price to cover others' irresponsibility.

I think the Kia Boyz and related long term rental bills due to supply chain issues had a bigger effect on insurance company payout than EVs

I don't disagree EVs can cost more, but I don't think they're the only thing to blame

It is not "Twilight Zone" stuff, just because you say it is, Biff.
Have been insured with Erie Insurance since 1993.
Since I am a long term customer in good stead, my policy is covered by their Rate Protection Endorsement. This means, according to the company, Biff, that my entire policy premium will remain the same until I make a change. (ie: purchase another vehicle.)
I did when I purchased the 2020 vehicle. My premium went up at that point. It has stayed the same since purchasing that vehicle, Biff. One thousand and seventeen dollars /year full coverage for all four vehicles in my signature, Biff.
I'll put my company up against your Flo, Gecco, or the Allstate thug that you and your cronies seem to bounce back and fourth between on a yearly or six month basis.
When my wife was sued for over 200K in a lawsuit that spanned over 7 years, Biff, not only did my premium not go up, it actually went down. That's right, Biff, my premium actually went down.
That's the benefit of thorough insurance shopping, and going with a quality company that is prudent about underwriting train wrecks.
I shop every two years. Once I could have saved $60.00 a year on home/auto combined by going with one of the lesser companies. Merely chump change. I'd rather be with a quality company.
I've done my homework, Biff.
Perhaps you should make less noise, and go do yours.
Buh-Bye Biff.
Whose Biff? Nothing says I have been on the Earth a long time by trying to use "Biff" in a derogatory fashion....oh and the word "cronies".

Last edited:
Back