Modern cars and drive-in movies

I know a guy who ran from the cops, rounded a corner, and pulled into a driveway. He got bagged because his foot was still on the brake.

Letting the BCM run the lights because software says it can was a huge mistake, now they're making up excuses to light things up. GM SUVs running backup lights because someone touched a key fob is a particular irk of mine. The only thing I like is when my Silverado uses individual parking/ tail lights to help program tire sensors.

Reactions: D60
The wife and I went to the drive-in last night, we've been to it lots of times. I get the feeling modern cars are becoming less compatible with them.

First off, this was the first time I'd driven the truck there. Remembered that in accessory mode, it times out after 10 minutes, and since you need the radio, that's not going to work out. And even while it's in accessory mode, the dash is all lit up. Wife wanted the A/C, so I left the engine running so we had A/C and to avoid running the battery down, but the DRLs were on. Remembered that I can turn them off through the radio settings, so all the lights were off. Not surprisingly, lots of folks had trouble turning their lights off, and they give you a how-to sheet on the way in that covers most vehicles.

Throughout the 2 movies (Indiana Jones/The Boogeyman), folks' lights kept turning on. A lady in a late model Chevy Equinox next to us took some time to figure out how to turn off her lights, and those kept turning on at odd times. Getting ready to leave, my wife said she thinks that same lady now has a dead battery. Sure enough, she walks up to my window and asks if I can give her a jump Drat, my cables are still in the Pilot! Thankfully, someone else had cables, but I offered to stay and help. First surprise, she can't get her key out of the ignition. Next, her running lights are on and turning the headlight control won't turn them off.

The good samaritan with the cables pulled up, and she couldn't figure out how to open her hood. Ditto for the one with the dead battery. :eek:Guess it's a good thing I stuck around and had a flashlight in the glovebox. Hooked up the rather lightweight cables, and... Nothing. Not even a spark. Wiggled the cables, still no spark. Noticed that one wire on these rather dinky cables was fraying at the clamp. Uh oh. Wiggled them again, finally got some spark, but can't get more than a click from the solenoid, and the running lights are still stuck on. Even when we waited a few minutes to see if it would charge the battery some we got nothing.

Finally, we noticed there was somebody in the closed concession stand, and I remembered they had a jumper pack. Flagged him down, and he brought it out. Apparently it just needed more oomph than the iffy cables from the good samaritan, but we got her car started.

I'm just kind of amazed that while it still had enough juice to show signs of life, it had no control over the lights and the key was stuck. It's too bad that auto manufacturers seem to be bent on having the dashboards all lit up at all times, and they have to make it unusually difficult to turn all the exterior lights off. And apparently the batteries don't have lots of capacity.

And yes, I got a new set of jumper cables to keep in the truck (y)
drive in's do not fit the globalist \ zionist agenda.

Your post is a prime example of the ridiculousness of cars these days.

How was Indiana Jones?

Be honest... is it another "Crystal Skull" that should have been left in the dustbin of some writer's imagination?

I am skeptical of any Indiana Jones film not directed by Steven Spielberg, but again not even he could save Crystal Skull... I just wish they would stop remaking my childhood...
Old Indy, divorced and broken, drinking and falling asleep on his couch while watching TV tags alongside his goddaughter who constantly belittles him, says she wishes, he'd get shot, while she herself is smarter and braver and more knowledgeable than anyone else makes a foo, of Indy. The first 20 minutes of flashback scenes set in the last days of WW2 are okay but are a bit dumb on closer examination. You do have to get over a Harrison Ford bobblehead on a stuntman's body with old Harrisons' gruff voice. The movie recycles the makeout scene on Katanaga's ship from Raiders and has the same ending as Crystal Skull, with Indy and Marion back together. It's a boring slog with very few moments reminiscent of anything in the spirit of Indy.

We got three great Indy movies. There is a reason why Spielberg didn't want to do the fourth and bailed out of doing the fifth. This movie needs to bring in between 900 million and one billion just to break even. This is not going to happen. KK needs to go and Disney needs to stop ruining all the IPs they have acquired by making agenda-driven crap that most people don't want to see.

Last edited:
Our little town of 1500ish people is lucky enough to have a drive-in theater, it's less than a mile from my front door down Main Street. I've been here more than 10 years (wife more than 20) and haven't been yet. Need to change that this year!

If you're curious, Stardust Drive-in in Watertown, TN. Watertown is an old train town, aka whistle stop. About 30 minutes East of Nashville off of I40.

Prius seems like a good drive in car. AC compressor is electric for 2nd generation forward. Battery drain managed by computer.
With air conditioning on, the engine will have to run intermittently to recharge the traction battery. Even without air conditioning, time in ACC mode is limited to avoid discharging the 12-volt battery.

With air conditioning on, the engine will have to run intermittently to recharge the traction battery. Even without air conditioning, time in ACC mode is limited to avoid discharging the 12-volt battery.
We test drove a Prius about 5 or 6 years ago and in that model the engine started as soon as you turned on the AC. Around here we run the AC about 11 1/2 months a year, either as AC or as part of the windshield defroster system so I was very disillusioned to find out that basically here you would never be able to run purely off of battery power, regardless of what the salesmen and the car company pitched.

My wife loves going to the drive in. We took her 04 Tahoe one time. It was about 113F that night so we had to run the ac. Couldn't figure out how to turn the stupid lights off! Tried the parking brake, switch ,google etc. Gave up. Turned the ign to on and even with the engine off still had lights. Gave up and went home.

We test drove a Prius about 5 or 6 years ago and in that model the engine started as soon as you turned on the AC. ... I was very disillusioned to find out that basically here you would never be able to run purely off of battery power, ...
Air conditioning can run for a short while with the engine off, for example a couple of minutes while stopped for a red light or train. The battery isn't large enough to power the compressor for very long. Specifically how long depends on the details. Much longer in a full-fledged electric car, of course.

I remember a few drive ins in the 1970s that had AC. You had to pay extra for it and it had a hose that came up out of the ground near the pole that the speakers were hung on when not in use. You had to roll your window down and hang the hose in the opening. To me, it didn't seem to work very well because of gaps on both sides of the hose and there also wasn't much air coming out of the hose and also it wasn't very cool. I only saw it once or twice so I don't know much else about it.

Today, a drive in would probably do well to put in electric auto recharge stations so that the E and H cars could run their AC continuously (if that's even possible.)

Drive-in theaters don't provide speakers any more? That's news to me.
I only remember going to one drive in that didn't have speakers. You had to tune your car radio to a specific frequency to listen to the movie sound tract and the movie sound tract was broadcast over the air waves. IIRC it was an AM frequency and the sound was in monaural and was pretty lousy. In today's "modern" cars I'm sure that you also wouldn't be able to run your radio continuously for a ~2 hour movie.

There is a drive in about 70 minutes drive from me, been there several times.

http://www.parkdrivein.com/

As for lights, open hood, unplug them, and lower hood.
After the movie just plug them back in.

On some vehicles applying the parking brake shuts them off, so try that first.

Reactions: GON
The last drive through around here was already closed when I first saw it in 1988 and became a Chrysler dealership in 1995/1996 or so.

I remember going to look at the remains before it became a dealership and seeing the speakers on the poles in the parking lot. The screens were still standing but falling apart.

No idea when it closed.

There were at least 5 drive-ins in my general area into about the early 80's. One hung in until about 1990. All gone. Did regular visits from the late 60's and on. I believe they all ran year-round. The speaker to hang on your window was a pain and the poles they hung on were often hit. Someone always drove off forgetting to hang up their speaker and broke their door glass. The radio channel sound was a big improvement and I believe it was on the FM band. Loaner FM radio for those that didn't have an FM car radio. They were always double features, so if you stayed for both, you had to recharge your battery now and then.

I had no idea of the problems on the newer vehicles just to idle without lights.

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 14
Back