Modern cars and drive-in movies

I didn't realise drive-in movies actually existed. Just thought they were made up for American films of old! Americans hate having to get out of their cars don't they. :ROFLMAO:
You never had those in Britain? You guys have no idea of the many experiences that you missed!

I'll bet that you didn't have any A&W drive-in hamburger stands either where you sat in your car and the waitresses used to come out to serve you on roller skates and wearing their short short skirts.

I can't imagine what it must have been like NOT growing up in the 1950s and 60s American car culture! :)

I know a guy who ran from the cops, rounded a corner, and pulled into a driveway. He got bagged because his foot was still on the brake.

Letting the BCM run the lights because software says it can was a huge mistake, now they're making up excuses to light things up. GM SUVs running backup lights because someone touched a key fob is a particular irk of mine. The only thing I like is when my Silverado uses individual parking/ tail lights to help program tire sensors.
I installed a brake light kill switch on my OBS Ford. Of course back then it was as easy as splicing into the wire at the BOO

It wasn't for evading LE. We camped in the vehicle regularly (I was overlanding before overlanding was a thing) and would often stack gear in the driver foot well. I didn't want to wake up to a dead battery because a bag had put light pressure on the brake pedal all night....

edit: oh and I definitely got laid at the local drive-in.....was easy in a full-size Bronco w no back seat ;)

You never had those in Britain? You guys have no idea of the many experiences that you missed!

I'll bet that you didn't have any A&W drive-in hamburger stands either where you sat in your car and the waitresses used to come out to serve you on roller skates and wearing their short short skirts.

I can't imagine what it must have been like NOT growing up in the 1950s and 60 American car culture! :)

I wasn't born until '92, but I don't think they were ever over here. Certainly never heard anyone speaking about them.

I installed a brake light kill switch on my OBS Ford. Of course back then it was easy as splicing into the wire at the BOO

It wasn't for evading LE. We camped in the vehicle regularly (I was overlanding before overlanding was a thing) and would often stack gear in the driver foot well. I didn't want to wake up to a dead battery because a bag had put light pressure on the brake pedal all night....
That's ok you don't have to explain. All of the bootleggers and pot haulers put cut off switches on their car's brakelights.

Reactions: D60
I wasn't born until '92, but I don't think they were ever over here. Certainly never heard anyone speaking about them.
Do you even have the real estate near any town to dedicate ~5+ acres to a large lot for just parking cars on Friday and Saturday nights yet far enough from homes local residents won't complain about the large screen, light and noise?

While Americans are incredibly lazy about getting out of their cars I think drive-ins were uniquely American because we have so much space.

I didn't realise drive-in movies actually existed. Just thought they were made up for American films of old! Americans hate having to get out of their cars don't they. :ROFLMAO:
They're very much real (if fading into obscurity now). And guilty as charged. I prefer not to have to get in my car, let alone travel somewhere and then get out of it! 😂

They're very much real (if fading into obscurity now). And guilty as charged. I prefer not to have to get in my car, let alone travel somewhere and then get out of it! 😂

In the southern US once most indoor theaters installed air conditioning, everyone (everyone that wanted to watch a movie that is) quickly stopped going to the drive-ins and went to the indoor theaters instead.

This is a common occurrence at both drive-ins I grew up at, one more so than the next.

It's has nothing to do with new cars although there are more cars now with DRL's so you notice it more. Even back in 2000 it was still an issue. It comes down to one thing and one thing only.

People are car stupid, they want an appliance/app that just works with 0 thought or interaction. I've met people who didn't even know their car has ACC function. I've jumped more big SUV's with our little Mazda 3 than anything else at the drive-in. I'll admit there are cars that don't and use "Retained Accessory Power" instead like the Tiguan. Annoying but it prevents a dead battery at least. Radio only last for 10 mins or so until you open a door again, press the radio and boom another 10 minutes or so of radio time. The truck is smarter and while you can disable all lighting if needed.

It takes nothing to open a fuse box and pull out the headlight relay. I did this on my 2009 Forester as it a precaution even though the parking brake was usually enough. I did have to find the interior light fuse just because they stayed on for a few minutes every time you opened the door, an annoyance really.

Most times we actually sit outside the car in chairs if the weather is nice. It's a fun experience and the kids enjoy it and to be honest I enjoy the nostalgia.

In the southern US once most indoor theaters installed air conditioning, everyone (everyone that wanted to watch a movie that is) quickly stopped going to the drive-ins and went to the indoor theaters instead.
Have lived here all my life, and that's one of the reasons we don't patronize our little drive in. Just too hot during the summer (which is like 8-9 months of the year) even at night! 🫨

We still have a few of those around here.

They were great when they had a super cheap child admission. And they allow outside food, although no alcohol is supposed to be consumed.

Once I didn't want to run the car radio for about 4 hours so I brought a battery powered radio. Another time I went there with the family and my wife wasn't interested in the first movie (an animated one) and took a nap inside the car as the kiddo and I watched outside in camp chairs with the radio. Later she watched from inside using the radio while the kiddo was sleeping outside with a blanket.

And yes they usually have portable jump starters. I offered mine once and found out that it was no longer working well.

In Pasadena TX we had an adult drive in, full size screen! That was something to see.... Had another on Sheldon TX where each car had it's own screen about the size of a 50-60" led tv now, arranged in a circle (insert your own joke here). Either one could have saved Pee Wee Hermans career lol.

I would like to experience a drive in someday.
My F150 would do well, I can sit in it motor off and listen to the radio. If idling and want the headlights off, put the park brake on.

Let’s throw a grenade, EV with all the special modes including Camp mode(climate control only and radio) would be an excellent vehicle for this.

Back