Truck insurance bill ... Big surprise; went down!

We added two teenage drivers to our policy a few years ago. I don't look at the bill because it's too depressing.
No kidding... had I know just how bad it was going to be, I would have spent more time looking for a jalopy instead of a newer car.

Thankfully my wife pays the bills. I just cry whenever I try to set up the budget and think about what I won't have left over to spend on toys next year...

State Farm mine is $100 dollars more for six months than two years ago. No tickets, no accidents
315$ to $500 here. That is for 1 car out of my 3 pc insurance package.
House went up 23%
Other car went up 46%

Sad part I cant find anyone that would beat it(all 3 total) by $100 which is my threshhold to move.

We had Insurance Reform a year or two ago here in Michigan and the cost was reduced quite a bit . No complaints
For me, it resulted in a one-time credit, and after that the rates went right back up and continue to climb. I am paying more now than what I did before the reform.

This is Texas. It only goes up - about 20% here, too. Constant inflow of people, more traffic, more accidents, more expensive cars.

New cars are getting a lot more expensive to buy and probably more expensive too repair after crashes so I bet the percentage of totalled wrecks had gone up, also This makes them more expensive to insure.

Not saying that's the primary reason prices have gone up, though.

Last edited:
My 16 year old got his license and our bill went up ~$200 for best liability, coll & comp on the two newest cars. Then he got sandwiched in an accident and the renewal a few weeks later went DOWN. I paid that puppy as fast as I could, LOL.

This is Texas. It only goes up - about 20% here, too. Constant inflow of people, more traffic, more accidents, more expensive cars.

Although we only moved here in January, ours went up almost 34% for the present policy period...from $750.00 per 6 months to $1002.00. This is for four cars; two with full coverage and two with liability only. No claims of any kind in 8-plus years.

What's really interesting to me is virtually every other carrier is much, much more expensive than what I have (Progressive). USAA was $1800.00 for the same coverage; State Farm, Farmers, Allstate, etc. were well over $2K for the very same coverage. Homeowner's is through a local Farmer's agent, so no "bundling" here.

I'm not personally thrilled with Progressive as a company, but will obviously stick with them (for now).

Although we only moved here in January, ours went up almost 34% for the present policy period...from $750.00 per 6 months to $1002.00. This is for four cars; two with full coverage and two with liability only. No claims of any kind in 8-plus years.
I've heard Texas car insurance is higher than Michigan, but your case disproves it. I'm paying $1,200/6 months for just 2 cars (full coverage), 2 drivers, no accidents, in Michigan.

Back