AAA - paid for itself in one hotel stay.

Hopefully not posting in the wrong forum - if not mods please move. Figure its auto related as its an auto club. :ROFLMAO:

Have always slapped the roadside assist on my insurance policy which is just under $2/month. While my ID.4 has roadside assist courtesy of VW CPO unfortunately they will only tow to a VW dealer even if flat tire so I need a side policy just in case (flat tire mostly). Received a promo mailing from AAA to get their basic level plan (Classic) for $37.50 for the first year which also includes up to two household members, for both of us to drop roadside off insurance it saves us a few bucks a year and of course I trust AAA more than dealing with Progressive. Well we have a trip planned in October so curiously I decided to check what our hotel would be with AAA rate - ~$51 cheaper so on top of the couple dollars we are saving it has already paid for itself after just one weekend getaway.

Going to check into some of the other perks. My dad swore by AAA and was a 30+ year member but I never really saw the value in it until now, I always figured roadside assistance is roadside assistance no matter who you get it from but I am a convert. If I can extract more value out of the program via discounts I will probably upgrade to one of their better plans.

One of the better promo mailings I have received, one of the weird times it was really not junk mail.

West of the Mississippi there are numerous places where you are 100's of miles from anywhere. As long as you are on a normal PAVED ROAD -AAA must aid you. Of course-I understand it could take them awhile. This tow alone on a commercial basis could be several hundred (or more) dollars.

I used to get AAA but their price got way too high. I actually did the $39 promo rate again a couple years ago but the renewal rate was $120 or something. It’s now lapsed. If the offer another promo rate I’ll sign back up.

The hotel deal was always good - but many hotels offer as good or better with their loyalty program. Didnt used to be that way but seems to be now.

In Eastern CT the DMV has partnered with one of the regional AAA organizations to allow driver license renewals, replacements to be issued at a AAA branch office.

You don't even have to be a member IIRC. Very convenient.

I agree their prices are going up at AAA roadside assistance.. but I paid it anyway and this past March I needed a tow for the Civic. My shop was about 120 miles away so AAA had to get a long haul provider. Not a lot of those around.. Took the guy 4-5 hours to get to me but when he showed up it was exactly what I prayed for! A flat bed.. and.. NO HOOKS! He secured the car with straps over the tires! Like Carvana does.. now we're talking! no more so-called "professional" who wants to pull the car onto the flatbed by the axles or control arms! yes this happened to me about a decade ago.. I almost came to punches with the guy! Had to educate a so-called pro about TOW HOOKS! duh..

anyway back to AAA.. They sent a working guy, nice guy, I gave him a tip at the end, hey good service is good service!

Found out that a long tow like I needed would've been a lot more than the $97 I pay for a year of AAA service. Their insurance is ridiculously high in price but the roadside has been good..

The tour books are also worth it. Get them for all the states you pass through on your next road trip.
Thanks for heads up on the tour books! Didn't they generate the travel maps too where you would get the flip books with your route highlighted.....if they still do this I might just get a small one for giggles. Many a road trips between Georgia and Minnesota where these were the at the time equivalent of Mapquest and parts of the trip I was sitting in the center of the front bench of the Ford Crown Vic or Chevy Caprice Classic and holding the flip book and providing the directions to my parents or grandparents.

I used to get AAA but their price got way too high. I actually did the $39 promo rate again a couple years ago but the renewal rate was $120 or something. It’s now lapsed. If the offer another promo rate I’ll sign back up.

The hotel deal was always good - but many hotels offer as good or better with their loyalty program. Didnt used to be that way but seems to be now.

Yeah the $37.50 will go to I think $108 next year. Fortunately we do a lot of weekend road trips so hopefully the hotel discounts will mostly offset. My $50 discount was cheaper than the member loyalty rate I had booked (Wyndham hotels) - I am going to use this AAA card wherever possible.

They also offer a small discount at NAPA.

AAA offices are regionally operated, with similar but not identical rules nationwide.

The tour books are also worth it. Get them for all the states you pass through on your next road trip.
No longer printed, just online.

I used to get AAA but their price got way too high
Paying $165 a year for Premier Plus with battery coverage. One free battery pays for the membership. One 200 mile tow pays for 3 years of membership.

Here in Virginia, Discount Tire offers $10 off per tire if you are a AAA member! North Carolina's DT does not. So....you may want to check to see, if you decide to purchase from DT.

Paid for a AAA membership to get a discount on 4 or 5 nights at the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas. Saved me much more than the membership cost.

No longer printed, just online.

Paying $165 a year for Premier Plus with battery coverage. One free battery pays for the membership. One 200 mile tow pays for 3 years of membership.
They will come install the battery for free but you still pay for the battery - it’s not free. I have needed a tow once in 20 years.

AAA is a great deal if you drive a beater. IMO one 25 mile tow on a Saturday night cost me $330, paid cash. This was 2014 prices.

Just recently I needed a tow, and there was no tow guy in my service area, so the next guy got the job, I was on the county line.... AAA hooked me up.

My parents had a starter gone out, thought it was the battery so they called for a jump start, they have State Farm and used the roadside assistance... they could not find anyone, this was in a town where a major interstate and state highway runs though......and in fact I know there are two tow companies in the town with ¨towing¨in their names.

They will come install the battery for free with most all membership levels. With my Premier Plus with the battery coverage supplement, I get one free battery per year.
You made me go look for AAA here in Michigan.. Any membership level here gets $25 off their "competitive pricing" for a battery replacement through AAA. Looks like we'd have to pay here.. No free ones.. :( But they did say it was a 5 year warranty and 3 yr free replacement.

AAA is a great deal if you drive a beater. IMO one 25 mile tow on a Saturday night cost me $330, paid cash. This was 2014 prices.

Just recently I needed a tow, and there was no tow guy in my service area, so the next guy got the job, I was on the county line.... AAA hooked me up.

My parents had a starter gone out, thought it was the battery so they called for a jump start, they have State Farm and used the roadside assistance... they could not find anyone, this was in a town where a major interstate and state highway runs though......and in fact I know there are two tow companies in the town with ¨towing¨in their names.
Ya the long haul tow driver that towed my Civic back in March was saying that the 120 mile trip (rode with him, had a nice talk along the way) that his company would be paid by AAA $740-750 for the tow! I imagine AAA gets a discount for having them part of their contractors.. Out of pocket is probably more than that! ouch!

That $97 membership is looking pretty good, and yeah the Civic isn't a beater but I am restoring it.. so ya the roadside membership..does pay for itself!

That's good to know about State Farm.. I guess they weren't in "good hands" after all.. oh wait the new ad is "Like a good neighbor State Farm is there".. no they weren't not for your parents!

That’s must be a recent development. I picked up a whole bunch just a few years ago.

I would much rather thumb thru a printed book than scroll on a screen when I’m just browsing a text.
I checked it out, and yup it's online only now.. But they can email you a pdf or print it online.. Looks exactly like the old TripTik's looked! Just as detailed too.. it's on their website.

Back