TPMS for Idiots please

This is my first car with TPMS it is a 2009 Toyota Matrix. The warning light has come on in the past, but correcting the tire pressures always turned the light out.
However this last time, although the pressure is fine the light stayed on and if starting flashes for a minute before becoming a steady light. The handbook (of course) says to go to your Toyota dealer, something I will only do when pigs fly !

There is no visible re-set button on this model. Should I buy a re-set tool ? How can I tell what wheel TPMS is at fault ? Or is it something on the car itself ? Could a tire shop just scan to diagnose the problem ?
The car had two new tires fitted last year.

A reset tool is good if you have a whole fleet you want to fix.

If you just want to fix Toyotas, you can get "ebay techstream", a
There might be a button under your dash. Don't press it, you can actually lock the TPMS computer ham-handedly trying to fix it. It is for calibrating the 80% PSI value with correctly functioning sensors. So if your tires call for 35, you set them for 35, push the button as described in the manual, and the light will come on for
You have one or more bad sensors, probably the battery. Toyota is nice and the sensors will emit a "flag" in their data that their batteries are low. You won't directly know which is which, but when you run Techstream you can let air out of the working tires and see the live data change. They'll be listed as tires number 1-4, not by any particular corner of the car. The low battery flag data will help you decide to change just the dud now, or the soon-to-be-dead ones while you're at it.

Replacement sensors are on ebay and other places; I like the Pacific brand as they are OE to Denso which is OE to Toyota. You may save by buying them all at once.

You can change them yourself if you can break the outer tire bead, some suggestions are out there on youtube. You can use a car scissor jack and car frame to do this, for example. Or Harbor Freight has a manual tire changer/ bead breaker/ back breaker for <$50.

Last edited:
This is my first car with TPMS it is a 2009 Toyota Matrix.
Can't imagine they are the originals on a 14 year old car but probably the second set and one or more of the batteries died. If you want the TPMS system working, one or more sensors will need to be replaced. If you don't care, maybe some black electrical tape over the light.

My Mazda 3 has a little button on the lower dash; if you long-press it resets TPMS. This probably means it's an indirect system. It doesn't read the actual tire pressures, but instead compares the relative speeds at which the tires are rotating.

As someone who checks tire pressure regularly, I consider TPMS one of those worthless features required by regulation because too many idiots don't check or maintain their cars. If the TPMS stopped working I would just disable or ignore it.

PS: @eljefino and @atikovi 's replies assume your car uses a direct system which has pressure monitors inside the tires. That may or may not be the case. Do you know whether your car's system is direct or indirect?

Last edited:
You don't have to go to the dealer. Any shop can replace the sensors. You usually need all four, since battery life is similar among all four sensors.

As someone who checks tire pressure regularly, I consider TPMS one of those worthless features required by regulation because too many idiots don't check or maintain their cars. If the TPMS stopped working I would just disable or ignore it.
It saves you if you hit a nail or something driving.

I lost 2 tires on my 2002 ranger when I ran over a board with nails and didnt notice for 3 miles.. by the time I noticed and limped it another mile to gas station the sidewalls had bubbled (tires werent flat yet)

TPMS on the jeep saved me once. hit a nail on the way home from barber in 1mile it was at 21psi..

Is it necessary well just looking at your tires you can usually tell or from handling but I'd say the current version which gives you tire pressures isnt totally worthless.

PS: @eljefino and @atikovi 's replies assume your car uses a direct system which has pressure monitors inside the tires. That may or may not be the case. Do you know whether your car's system is direct or indirect?
Since they sell sensors, it's a direct system.

People should not willy-nilly push under-dash TPMS buttons on toyotas as it can lock the computers up. Read the manual first.

I just did all four presumably original sensors on my MKZ(or at least everything was Motorcraft...). The batteries do die, as mentioned, and I'm probably fortunate I got as long as I did. Mine started intermittently giving "Tire pressure sensor error" with a flashing light a few years ago, then became constant. Occasionally one would sort of wake up and report "low tire pressure" even when all 4 were inflated to the door plaque pressure. On Fords at least, 2010 and newer, the sensors are at the base of the valve stem-look it up but the information should be out there for your brand and year(again, Ford specific, but 2009 and earlier used the same sensor on a clamp band in the center of the wheel opposite the stem).

I probably abused the tires in a way I shouldn't have. I set a scissor jack on a block of wood on the sidewall by the valve stem and secured it to the rim with a ratchet strap, then used the scissor jack to break the bead and give me working room to access the base of the stem. I went ahead and just did the stems too since the sensors I bought were already mounted on them, and replacing stems is easy enough and cheap insurance on a part that can age and cause issues. Since I'd only broken the front bead, it was simple and easy to get them to "pop" back with the valve core removed, using a tire chuck, high pressure air(I ended up cranking the line pressure of my compressor up to 120psi for a stubborn one, which got me an honest ~70psi under flow) and soapy water. I know you're "supposed" to use proper tire soap, but I did Dawn in a spray bottle and, well, it took a bit of fiddling, bouncing or pounding the the tire while inflating, and all the beads "popped" nicely and passed a soapy water leak test around the rim once the valve core was installed and the tire fully inflated.

I do need new tires soon and probably should have just done them then, but at least the annoying light/message is off in my car, I won't have to pay the shop to replace the sensors, and I got some valuable experience. This was my first time doing any "real" tire work, as in manipulating/breaking/seating the bead.

I just did all four presumably original sensors on my MKZ(or at least everything was Motorcraft...). The batteries do die, as mentioned, and I'm probably fortunate I got as long as I did. ...
I do need new tires soon and probably should have just done them then, but at least the annoying light/message is off in my car, I won't have to pay the shop to replace the sensors, and I got some valuable experience. This was my first time doing any "real" tire work, as in manipulating/breaking/seating the bead.
Congrats on the DIY approach. Does the TPMS system provide value that is worth these hassles? Not for me, but maybe for others.

Unfortunately, my wife's Subaru has a direct system so I'll be dealing with this at some point... thanks for the useful how-to post.

I believe Toyota has the direct system. Two tires were replaced about a year ago, I was at least charged for the TPMS on those tires. So I guess it is the old tires that are causing this :-(

Thak you all for your help.

This is my first car with TPMS it is a 2009 Toyota Matrix. The warning light has come on in the past, but correcting the tire pressures always turned the light out.
However this last time, although the pressure is fine the light stayed on and if starting flashes for a minute before becoming a steady light. The handbook (of course) says to go to your Toyota dealer, something I will only do when pigs fly !

There is no visible re-set button on this model. Should I buy a re-set tool ? How can I tell what wheel TPMS is at fault ? Or is it something on the car itself ? Could a tire shop just scan to diagnose the problem ?
The car had two new tires fitted last year.
There are two methods for your Toyota. A)
2010 S

On my car the reset is on the right knee side just past where the plastic ends.
B) To reset the TPMS system; turn the ignition on, press and hold down the TPMS buttom. The tire light on the dash will begin to flash, after it has flashed 3 times the light will go out. The TPMS system has now been reset

My wife's 2010 CR-V has TPMS battery issues at 12 years old. I removed the instrument cluster and snipped the TPMS led, as well as the TPMS malfunction led. Took less than 30 min, no more lights and with the next tire change I put in rubber valve stems.

My Mazda 3 has a little button on the lower dash; if you long-press it resets TPMS. This probably means it's an indirect system. It doesn't read the actual tire pressures, but instead compares the relative speeds at which the tires are rotating.

Don't forget. Years ago they blamed the Firestone Tire debacle on incorrect (low) tire pressures. This prompted the regulation/requirement.
I always doubted that that was the cause however.

sound like me... but I will admit that even though I check my tires routinely, my wife's car does not have a spare... so TPMS is a nice feature.

meanwhile I had the sensors removed from my dually last time I purchased tires..

Congrats on the DIY approach. Does the TPMS system provide value that is worth these hassles? Not for me, but maybe for others.

Unfortunately, my wife's Subaru has a direct system so I'll be dealing with this at some point... thanks for the useful how-to post.
It is 2023, TPMS is required for almost 20yrs and here we are, still not knowing what serves for.
TPMS is not made so you don’t have to check your tires in the morning. Congratulations on your sacrifice for checking tires in the morning.

It is designed to warn you of failure or POSSIBLE failure. Your tires might start losing air during drive and with that tire itself might get damaged which could result in failure later in the day, tomorrow, in a month or few months. You might see next day that you need to pump tire but you might already damaged tire to the point where now it is accident waiting to happen.
Of course it is not idiot proof system. Same like airbags won’t make people wear seatbelts. Some manufacturers like Toyota do make thing’s unnecessarily complicated, some like BMW, VW etc. don’t.

It is 2023, TPMS is required for almost 20yrs and here we are, still not knowing what serves for.
TPMS is not made so you don’t have to check your tires in the morning. Congratulations on your sacrifice for checking tires in the morning.

It is designed to warn you of failure or POSSIBLE failure. Your tires might start losing air during drive and with that tire itself might get damaged which could result in failure later in the day, tomorrow, in a month or few months. You might see next day that you need to pump tire but you might already damaged tire to the point where now it is accident waiting to happen.
Of course it is not idiot proof system. Same like airbags won’t make people wear seatbelts. Some manufacturers like Toyota do make thing’s unnecessarily complicated, some like BMW, VW etc. don’t.
You mean the 433 Mhz system that some VW's and Audi's use are not complicated?

I do appreciate the 315 Mhz system on my Toyota, since it displays individual pressures, like the VAG 433 Mhz system. The ABS-based and 315 Mhz systems don't tell you which tire is low, just something that tripped the system.

You mean the 433 Mhz system that some VW's and Audi's use are not complicated?

I do appreciate the 315 Mhz system on my Toyota, since it displays individual pressures, like the VAG 433 Mhz system. The ABS-based and 315 Mhz systems don't tell you which tire is low, just something that tripped the system.
They are complicated bcs. they require owner to register TPMS every time you change TPMS or want to switch to winter tires. Newer ones I believe (you know) require owner ir shop to do it through infotainment system (I really don’t know how it works on latest generation as I am interested in how it works on new Toyota same as how Samsung refrigerator works).

The point is to tell you something is wrong. What does it matter which tire? Does one have more priority over another one? If your left is 15psi do you ignore it because it is not right one?

They are complicated bcs. they require owner to register TPMS every time you change TPMS or want to switch to winter tires. Newer ones I believe (you know) require owner ir shop to do it through infotainment system (I really don’t know how it works on latest generation as I am interested in how it works on new Toyota same as how Samsung refrigerator works).

The point is to tell you something is wrong. What does it matter which tire? Does one have more priority over another one? If your left is 15psi do you ignore it because it is not right one?
The newer Toyota TPMS don't require registration. Just go into the instrument cluster and tell it you swapped tires and it self-registers.

Why do you want to know which tire is low? Makes it easier to verify the actual tire that is reporting the low pressure, especially with short sidewall height tires, as visually it's difficult to tell the difference when it just crosses the threshold of tripping the system, when it's actually flat, that's easy to tell. Not everyone carries a tire pressure gauge these days, let alone a pump.

Much like OBD-II codes. Do you want the OBD-II to only spit out P0300, or do you want it to spit out P0301, P0302, etc? Likewise cat sensors, OBD-II has codes to tell you which sensor is triggering the fault, so one can zero in on that area.

The newer Toyota TPMS don't require registration. Just go into the instrument cluster and tell it you swapped tires and it self-registers.

Why do you want to know which tire is low? Makes it easier to verify the actual tire that is reporting the low pressure, especially with short sidewall height tires, as visually it's difficult to tell the difference when it just crosses the threshold of tripping the system, when it's actually flat, that's easy to tell. Not everyone carries a tire pressure gauge these days, let alone a pump.

Much like OBD-II codes. Do you want the OBD-II to only spit out P0300, or do you want it to spit out P0301, P0302, etc? Likewise cat sensors, OBD-II has codes to tell you which sensor is triggering the fault, so one can zero in on that area.
Yes, individual tire would be better, but regardless, TPMS is designed to report an issue. Part of the reason why companies are moving to ABS sensor are these complaints: “when I was growing up, and going to school while boars and bears were attacking me, my dad thought me to:..”
Still, Toyota could make system like BMW has or older VW’s. You put tire, sees sensor, there it is.

My wife's 2010 CR-V has TPMS battery issues at 12 years old. I removed the instrument cluster and snipped the TPMS led, as well as the TPMS malfunction led. Took less than 30 min, no more lights and with the next tire change I put in rubber valve stems.
My daughters '08 CRV if the TPMS sensors don't register triggers the TPMS "system" error. That also makes it that you can not disable the ESC/Stability control. Now if you need to shut it off to get unstuck with extra wheel spin, you can't do it. It will kill your throttle to the traction control guidelines.

Might not be an issue for you but others go places in snow/mud that might need the extra wheel spin even with 4 snows.

I got 4 new sensors for winter tires/rims. I do have to go to the shop each fall and spring to get them re-registered. It costs me $20. Unfortunately that generation CRV only holds 4 senor ID's. If I don't get them re-registered in about 10 miles the TPMS system light illuminates. I'd rather know they are working anyway as it could help save at least a tire if not a life.

Back