TPMS on modern Honda cars

My girlfriend has a 2017 HRV and I noticed a screw in one of her tires. She had it repaired but the TPMS light keeps coming on. It looks like Honda uses indirect units like my past VW’s. Unlike VW where you just reset the TPMS through the infotainment screen, on this Honda, you have to push the TPMS button on the dash and drive the car for 30 miles between 30mph and 60mph to recalibrate the system. If VW can reset the system with just a touch of a button, why can’t Honda do the same without this recalibration method?

I’m surprised it is indirect. My Honda’s have used wheels sensors but they aren’t constant signal, meaning they only update the system once every 10 minutes (or whatever the time cycle is) so that is why they say to drive normally and it will clear itself. I’ve usually had them go off in the first few miles and correcting air pressure.

I'm pretty sure direct TPMS systems have been required for a while now. I think the wheels have to start turning to activate the sensors on Hondas though. If my Pilot gets a low tire, the light usually clears quickly once it's re-inflated and it starts moving.

I’m surprised it is indirect. My Honda’s have used wheels sensors but they aren’t constant signal, meaning they only update the system once every 10 minutes (or whatever the time cycle is) so that is why they say to drive normally and it will clear itself. I’ve usually had them go off in the first few miles and correcting air pressure.
Some new vehicles have indirect systems (including my newish Tiguan) but the systems are not the same as the old ones like in my Sienna.

I’m quite happy it does not have wheel sensors.

The system is indirect. Reset the system by pushing the TPMS button while in park and the ignition on. It should beep and the TPMS light will go off.

The 30 miles qualifier is cumulative: doesn’t have to be done all at once. But it does take time for the system to learn the rotation habits of each tire. Until this is complete the system may not be reliable but the light should stay off.

My girlfriend has a 2017 HRV and I noticed a screw in one of her tires. She had it repaired but the TPMS light keeps coming on. It looks like Honda uses indirect units like my past VW’s. Unlike VW where you just reset the TPMS through the infotainment screen, on this Honda, you have to push the TPMS button on the dash and drive the car for 30 miles between 30mph and 60mph to recalibrate the system. If VW can reset the system with just a touch of a button, why can’t Honda do the same without this recalibration method?
VW's require driving a relatively short distance before you reset the TPMS light. Otherwise, it won't be able to set the baseline wheel speed "pressure"

If my Pilot gets a low tire, the light usually clears quickly once it's re-inflated and it starts moving.
On my Nissan/Infiniti, if I leave the car running while I fill up the tire(s), it clears while sitting. If it's off, I haven't determined (nor care enough to) if it has to reach a given speed (between 15-20 mph) or go a short distance.

my '17 Accord with indirect, no sensors, I have a TPMS reset through i-mid screen and radio (base model) menus. It also has a TPMS reset button at bottom left of dash almost hidden that is a push and hold until beep iirc. Then drive accordingly normally.

If you change pressures much it needs reset and drive. I had tires rebalanced and they over inflated all 4 by about 5-6psi. My TPMS tire pressure warning triggered because of it. I had to DEFLATE to where they were supposed to be and it went off shortly after.

I could have done the reset and driven but the pressures were wrong.

Last edited:
my 21 hrv has indirect.. I love it works for me and has good old fashion rubber valve stems...

Honda does.. On my 21 hrv there is a buton you push in and the light flashes twice and it is reset;;;;easy peasy..

Not on my Tiguan.
Then explain how an ABS based TPMS can figure out the baseline "pressure" without wheel speed sensor inputs. All the MQB's do when you hit reset on the screen, is it tells the TPMS system to wait until you drive the car to get a baseline wheel speed pressure, then it sets it later.

Then explain how an ABS based TPMS can figure out the baseline "pressure" without wheel speed sensor inputs. All the MQB's do when you hit reset on the screen, is it tells the TPMS system to wait until you drive the car to get a baseline wheel speed pressure, then it sets it later.
Okay but that isn’t what you wrote before:
VW's require driving a relatively short distance before you reset the TPMS light.

Back