TPMS woes

2006 Toyota Tacoma, base model, 2wd, 15" steel wheels.
Just before Thanksgiving my low tire light started flashing. I do all of my own vehicle repairs except tires. I have a local, small town, mom and pop place that I really like. I have delt with him a few times over the last couple of years and really like and trust him.
So, I take it there and they say the left front sensor is bad. Put a new one in, I pay $75 and am on my way.
Two weeks later the light starts flashing again.
I take it back and he says that all three of the other sensors are now bad. $225 is the estimate.
I don't have a lot of experience with TPMS sensors. The only other vehicle that I've owned with TPMS sensors is my 12 Fusion. I've never had an issue with those.
My daughter had to replace one on her 13 Corolla a few months ago.
Does this seem legit?

If one sensor is bad, you should replace all four, since they have similar lifespans and are driven in the same conditions :unsure:

TPMS on a Taco in 2006? TPMS wasn't mandatory until 08 and premium models had it before then, but a Tacoma?

they were available on even cheaper cars. For example, the Matrix/Vibe had TPMS from 2005, though the 05-07 was indirect (but 08+ is direct)

A good friend of mine is a personal injury lawyer. I've learnt from his stories to do everything in our power to avoid an accident.

You read of people paying for safety features that don't work well.

As much as they are a pain and expensive to deal with, they do the job they're meant to do.

If TPMS didn't exist, I doubt most would be like BITOG members and bother to check on a regular basis.

It's a necessary evil.

I think that situations such as this are the exact reason tire shops want to replace all sensors at one time. Many customers will just assume the tire shop was trying something nefarious and trying to make an extra buck off of them. The reality is that if one goes today the possible for another tomorrow is likely.

Here are the ones I purchased from Amazon for my son’s Silverado. The local Indie tire shop installed them for us. Converted to US dollars they were $10 each. My last set from the same place outlived the tires. My local Kal Tire initiated them for me. They wouldn’t initiate using the air pressure adjustments. The local Kal Tire initiated them for me with their electronic gizmo. No charge. Small town service I guess.

221E9F0A-3DE6-4A1D-A692-526892794135.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve heard Toyota owners seeing 8-16 years on TPMS batteries. I’ve got almost 13 years on my originals. I’ve been very impressed with the longevity and accuracy of the ones in my 4Runner so I bought 4 replacement OEM Denso units on Amazon ($32/ea) with the intention of replacing them when I got new tires. Turns out my Costco will only install the ones they sell. I stuck with the original ones for now. I guess I’ll have to either DIY or find an independent place to replace when needed. I’ve got the “trial” version of TechStream if I need to reprogram.

edit: I forgot to mention, TPMS has saved me a lot of trouble, and maybe more, twice already.

Last edited:
many of the tpms sensor go to sleep after a certain time to save power. its why battery life in them can be so variable.

Toyota has a flag in their TPMS data that shows a low battery. The tire shop should have checked your others when they replaced your first. But it can be proof that they aren't full of baloney. You should get all new sensors, and it makes sense doing it at the same place so you don't play the blame game.

If you're really handy, you can get the sensors yourself on ebay and save a bunch of money. You'll have to pop the beads, fish the things in there, and program the computer. "Carista" is $20 for a dongle and trial software, and will do this. So might "ebay techstream." This same software will show you actual live data for each sensor instead of just the idiot light, and will also show the "low batt" flag.

2006 Toyota Tacoma, base model, 2wd, 15" steel wheels.
Just before Thanksgiving my low tire light started flashing. I do all of my own vehicle repairs except tires. I have a local, small town, mom and pop place that I really like. I have delt with him a few times over the last couple of years and really like and trust him.
So, I take it there and they say the left front sensor is bad. Put a new one in, I pay $75 and am on my way.
Two weeks later the light starts flashing again.
I take it back and he says that all three of the other sensors are now bad. $225 is the estimate.
I don't have a lot of experience with TPMS sensors. The only other vehicle that I've owned with TPMS sensors is my 12 Fusion. I've never had an issue with those.
My daughter had to replace one on her 13 Corolla a few months ago.
Does this seem legit?
Yes. My shop will only install 4 sensors at a time instead of doing just one that's out - avoids people coming back and complaining about why the light came back on a couple of weeks later.

Because all the sensors are the same age and the batteries will die off one by one

Back