Can this tire be patched and other tire questions?

Could this tire be patched? Maybe if it where not for the bulging sidewalls. Is the bulge from being run flat?

Wife hit something on the interstate she did not see anything. The tires are michelin defenders with 40k miles on them looking for advice on a new set of tires for a CRV in VA all seasons it seems michelin defenders are no more and now are michelin defenders 2. Usually buy from Costco.

It is kinda my fault for being cheap and never fixing the TPMS as it is always on. It is one of the older ones that don't show PSI.

cut tire.jpg

big buldge.jpg

Dealer quoted me $500 to fix the TPMS so i never did it. It is just the batteries.

I have one of them Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System on my car but i don't think it updates enough to be affective

Even without damage those tires are nearing the end of their useful life.
I would have no problems with running defenders again ! shop around at a lot of good options out there.

If those are from Costco already, will they help you out with their road hazard? I’ve never used them for tires but I always hear how helpful they are with warranty-ing and pro rating tires. They look close to the wear indicators anyway, and even if they could fix a slash like that, they wont given the condition of the sidewall.

Maybe those were run over inflated, as the center is more worn than the outside??

Nope always ran at 32-33 PSI and always got a aliment whenever i buy new tires, rotated every 5000-7000 miles. I know they rotate them as i always check the numbers on the tires to see if they moved them.

I think the sidewall is from running down the road flat? They where almost end of life anyways.

Ya, that slash, even though it’s in the repairable zone doesn’t appear to be a candidate for a plug. Time for new. My last new set came from Amazon . They’ve been great, so far.

Not sure why you would even consider it given that bulge.

Was it run fully flat? Or just low for a while? I recall once when I had a flat, and there was no place to pull over, the tire was HOT after rolling on it not very far. For obvious reasons. It wasnt underinflated before, it was a road debris blowout...

Could this tire be patched? Maybe if it where not for the bulging sidewalls. Is the bulge from being run flat?

Wife hit something on the interstate she did not see anything. The tires are michelin defenders with 40k miles on them looking for advice on a new set of tires for a CRV in VA all seasons it seems michelin defenders are no more and now are michelin defenders 2. Usually buy from Costco.

It is kinda my fault for being cheap and never fixing the TPMS as it is always on. It is one of the older ones that don't show PSI.

View attachment 209904

View attachment 209905

I would only repair a tyre like this if it was on my own car (and not at home), so I could drive to the nearest tyre place. If the tyre held air for a while without repairing, I would just pump it and get to the tyre place.

The bulge is likely from hitting a pot hole or curb with less than ideal tyre pressure

Not sure why you would even consider it given that bulge.

Was it run fully flat? Or just low for a while? I recall once when I had a flat, and there was no place to pull over, the tire was HOT after rolling on it not very far. For obvious reasons. It wasnt underinflated before, it was a road debris blowout...

I think it was fully flat damaging the side wall.

Back