Timing chain change interval on Kia 2.4L MPI

I have a general question regarding a timing chain life interval on the Koups 2.4L. MPI.

I was so paranoid about the 2.4L self distracting, that I had tunnel vision regarding "ticks" knocks or anything abnormal sounding. I scheduled a appointment at the Kia dealership on 2nd day of ownership to have a couple recalls addressed, and to have on file this non concerning "tick" sound incase it were to get substantially worse. Kia gave the engine a "perfect" bill of health, and even went as far to say "its one of the better ones"....

Fast forward over 50K miles (over 15 full syn oil changes with absolutely zero oil consumption during any OC) I have came to realization that the engine its self is not ticking but rather the timing chain that has a tick at around 1950 rpms, but only when there is near zero/super light load on the throttle such in parking lots while in 1st. I can also hear the sound in 2nd and 3rd, but again the rpm range for the sound is very narrow.

Over the tens of thousands of miles the tick sound is actually disappearing, and the engine itself seems to run better and better with every passing oil change... BUT I believe if there is any abnormal sound that means something might be wearing incorrectly, even though the tick has never gotten worse and is actually getting better, I have a hard time believing it "fixed" itself. I will add this, I removed the under hood liner for the CAI setup sometime ago so every sound of the engine is amplified.

I starting looking at replacement parts to feel it out - oem/genuine and the replacement procedure in the factory service manual, and tbh looks like I could do the whole job for a couple hundred dollars in the driveway with no real special tools needed... I am seriously contemplating changing out the timing chain for piece of mind and for a financial "cushion" so to speak incase if something in the timing chain system were to fail and ruin the engine, as the 2.4L engine itself is a few thousand dollars.

I am aiming to run this original Korean built 2.4L MPI engine over 250K, with a 300K mile aim, (and zero car payments) while doing so. I am closing in on 180K at the moment.

Would this be a wise idea at the end of the day, and would there be anything unexpected while doing this repair? I would not mind changing out gaskets or any other "wear item part" also while in there if I could access them.

Thanks for the feedback.
IMG_3932.jpeg
IMG_3933.jpeg
IMG_3934.jpeg

I'd wait until chain noise increases, some engines never need a chain replacement. Others need it before reaching 60k miles. If you do it now, before the chain gets noisy you can get by with just a chain and tensioner, the cam wheels won't have undue wear on them.

I'm not bashing Kia here. I like their products and currently own one. But at nearly 180k miles it is worth next to nothing. I would not go overboard spending money on it. Especially not for something that may not even ever become a problem. The best thing to do is drive it and save your money for the next vehicle.

I have only had 1 2.4 chain failure and that was an engine that was continuously run low on oil. It was fairly straightforward. Only thing I remember about it was I had to remove the oil pump/balance shaft module for some reason and one of the bolts broke on the oil pump but wasnt hard to extract. Balance module bolts are torque plus angle and should be replaced. I replaced the oil pan on the one I did as well since it was rusty and it was cheap from Kia.

Save it for the next vehicle? Yeah like there will be new ones that a person would really want a few years from now.
Kinda like me thinking I'd be able to get one of the cars I liked 10 years later, ha ha ha. Yeah someone else's used junk.

The kia "hate" never fails to amaze me, as if it was another brand, I would be told "change the timing chain and run it to 400K lol.
I am not worried about the worth of an old kia, nor do I care about the next owner.. I do all the work myself so while I replace ALOT of parts sometimes prematurely, they are OEM and im not paying 149/HR labor, but gaining experience.

My reasoning is it's cheaper to maintain and address issues quickly. I can buy the whole OEM T/C and oil pump chain for about $200 to my door. a 2.4L as a whole is multiple thousands of dollars. I have NEVER done a timing chain, but would like to change it out for the experience, and knowledge..

Again, this kia turned into a mechanical experiment over time. I have done alot of "first" with this kia in terms of maintenance, such as in tank fuel filter replacement, inner tie rods, rear wheel bearings, harmonic balancer, belt tensioner unit, and a ton of other "first" This is also one of H/K last years of "SERVICEABILITY"

Adjusted clutch sensor, throttle sensor, brake pedal sensor, have taken apart buttons on the steering wheel to clean them, also even the window switches are serviceable along with the sunroof button/lights.. Gauge cluster I have serviced even, and readjusted the speed needle to be more accurate as the OBD computer reads the right speed, but yet the needle was reading is about 2 MPH faster...

On the last note, While it appears im a "fan boy" (I slightly am) but ONLY of the older pre 2015 models. I would have a HARD time to recommend a new H/K, as they are NO WHERE near as serviceable, and unfortunately, like all the newer, modern vehicles are disposable...

The kia "hate" never fails to amaze me, as if it was another brand, I would be told "change the timing chain and run it to 400K lol.
I am not worried about the worth of an old kia, nor do I care about the next owner.. I do all the work myself so while I replace ALOT of parts sometimes prematurely, they are OEM and im not paying 149/HR labor, but gaining experience.

My reasoning is it's cheaper to maintain and address issues quickly. I can buy the whole OEM T/C and oil pump chain for about $200 to my door. a 2.4L as a whole is multiple thousands of dollars. I have NEVER done a timing chain, but would like to change it out for the experience, and knowledge..

Again, this kia turned into a mechanical experiment over time. I have done alot of "first" with this kia in terms of maintenance, such as in tank fuel filter replacement, inner tie rods, rear wheel bearings, harmonic balancer, belt tensioner unit, and a ton of other "first" This is also one of H/K last years of "SERVICEABILITY"

Adjusted clutch sensor, throttle sensor, brake pedal sensor, have taken apart buttons on the steering wheel to clean them, also even the window switches are serviceable along with the sunroof button/lights.. Gauge cluster I have serviced even, and readjusted the speed needle to be more accurate as the OBD computer reads the right speed, but yet the needle was reading is about 2 MPH faster...

On the last note, While it appears im a "fan boy" (I slightly am) but ONLY of the older pre 2015 models. I would have a HARD time to recommend a new H/K, as they are NO WHERE near as serviceable, and unfortunately, like all the newer, modern vehicles are disposable...
Trust me - it’s no more fun being a GM owner here - bashing just makes them feel superior - something has to …

Sounds like you want the experience and security of getting ahead of a single point failure - you pick time and place …
Cost of parts - and being still available are in your favor …

Reactions: JTK
I have a general question regarding a timing chain life interval on the Koups 2.4L. MPI.

I was so paranoid about the 2.4L self distracting, that I had tunnel vision regarding "ticks" knocks or anything abnormal sounding. I scheduled a appointment at the Kia dealership on 2nd day of ownership to have a couple recalls addressed, and to have on file this non concerning "tick" sound incase it were to get substantially worse. Kia gave the engine a "perfect" bill of health, and even went as far to say "its one of the better ones"....

Fast forward over 50K miles (over 15 full syn oil changes with absolutely zero oil consumption during any OC) I have came to realization that the engine its self is not ticking but rather the timing chain that has a tick at around 1950 rpms, but only when there is near zero/super light load on the throttle such in parking lots while in 1st. I can also hear the sound in 2nd and 3rd, but again the rpm range for the sound is very narrow.

Over the tens of thousands of miles the tick sound is actually disappearing, and the engine itself seems to run better and better with every passing oil change... BUT I believe if there is any abnormal sound that means something might be wearing incorrectly, even though the tick has never gotten worse and is actually getting better, I have a hard time believing it "fixed" itself. I will add this, I removed the under hood liner for the CAI setup sometime ago so every sound of the engine is amplified.

I starting looking at replacement parts to feel it out - oem/genuine and the replacement procedure in the factory service manual, and tbh looks like I could do the whole job for a couple hundred dollars in the driveway with no real special tools needed... I am seriously contemplating changing out the timing chain for piece of mind and for a financial "cushion" so to speak incase if something in the timing chain system were to fail and ruin the engine, as the 2.4L engine itself is a few thousand dollars.

I am aiming to run this original Korean built 2.4L MPI engine over 250K, with a 300K mile aim, (and zero car payments) while doing so. I am closing in on 180K at the moment.

Would this be a wise idea at the end of the day, and would there be anything unexpected while doing this repair? I would not mind changing out gaskets or any other "wear item part" also while in there if I could access them.

Thanks for the feedback.
View attachment 184614View attachment 184615View attachment 184612
Without knowing the extent of wear, the OE condemnation criteria, and the OE mandated repair practices, you’re just floundering.

On MB diesels there is a specific way to turn the engine and evaluate chain wear. There are also offset woodruff keys that can be used to take up some wear and get timing in check.

You don’t know how many degrees you’re off? You’re chasing a mystery sound?!?

I’m not sure what you’re really trying for then.

Going in blind is pretty dumb.

You could roll a new chain in blindly. And still have the noise. You could change tensioner and guides, and still have the noise. The engine may run as is for hundreds of thousands of miles.

You should either diy or get a competent mechanic to determine wear and go from there.

Thanks for the feedback.
View attachment 184614View attachment 184615View attachment 184612
Run a 5w30 or 40 in the summer.
Thank me later.
Hyundai kia chains sound like crap with 20s

The kia "hate" never fails to amaze me, as if it was another brand, I would be told "change the timing chain and run it to 400K lol

........On the last note, While it appears im a "fan boy" (I slightly am) but ONLY of the older pre 2015 models. I would have a HARD time to recommend a new H/K, as they are NO WHERE near as serviceable, and unfortunately, like all the newer, modern vehicles are disposable...
What year 2.4L have you got? With 180K on it, unless you are just into recreational maintenance, Id leave it be. Your 'tick' has apparently been there quite some time, and has caused you no issues. If it isn't burning oil, running rough, etc. Just drive and enjoy it. Timing chains are not a major problem with these engines. But I do have to ask, having owned many myself, are you sure you're not hearing a harmonic of the injectors?

I don't know much about this particular 2.4L, but what are the standard modes or indicators of impending timing chain failure on these engines?

I would think you would have misfires or cam to crank correlation codes come up if the chain was "stretched". If you had metal/metal contact, I'd expect metallic flakes in the used oil filters.

Some ticking at 1950rpm to me doesn't point to timing chain. I would want to pull the serpentine belt for testing purposes and run it very briefly at 1950 rpm to see if the noise goes away.

No need to proactively change the timing chain, it gets changed when the engine blows up and the dealer installs a new long-block.

I'm not bashing Kia here. I like their products and currently own one. But at nearly 180k miles it is worth next to nothing. I would not go overboard spending money on it. Especially not for something that may not even ever become a problem. The best thing to do is drive it and save your money for the next vehicle.
He's not driving an investment, he's driving a car. Who cares what someone thinks it's "worth"? Should he dump the car and spend more money on a car with more value that is worth the privilege of owning and repairing? Really, the only time value comes into play is buying, selling or when the insurance man gets involved and even then, it's pretty subjective.

He doesn't plan on selling it and aims to drive it to 300k - no normal car is going to be "worth" anything at that point. The value in that car is not having to pony up for cost of replacement. Wouldn't you spend even a couple grand to avoid spending 30,40 or 50k? Since it's paid off (I'm assuming from his post), then the money that he would be spending on a car payment (or if he was able to pay cash) could be spent on things that could actually make him money. Unless you're well off financially and can absorb the hit, buying cars is pretty much always a losing proposition.

That said, I agree with you in that it seems the timing chain is still good and there's no sense in replacing it yet - but personally, even if the car had 250k on it, I would possibly replace the chain, or other major parts IF it was still in good serviceable shape and still met my needs.

Back