Urgent help needed - Ticking Chrysler 4.7

To be honest that first video sounds quite similar to lifter/cam failure in the 5.7 and other hemis.
Verified it wasn’t lifters or rockers. After a very long drive today, i noticed even more that the noise varies with my foot on the pedal. Kinda goes away after 2500-3000 when it’s wide open, goes away completely under DFCO, and i can vary how loud it is cruising by slightly hitting the pedal harder. I am at a loss for sure.

Also dropped the pan again and verified the condition of the connecting rod. Absolutely fine.

Pre ignition/knock? Foreign object in cylinder?
I am thinking something is up with the intake. It is the only thing left i have to go after. I did hear the noise the loudest from the EGR pipe that goes into the intake manifold.

Been a little bit since i posted here, but i figured i should let you all know what i have found so far.

I removed the drivers valve cover again. I took the lifters and rockers out for cylinder 7, and the tick went away. I haven’t ran it without the lifters/rockers for that bank yet, but i will probably later today and see if it’s gone for sure.

Only thing i have left to check is intake, i replaced the exhaust manifolds and gaskets. Had the stud that was broken in the head fixed.

If i can’t get it fixed within the next few weeks, i am just going to pull the plug and 5.7 swap it. The 4.7 pre 07 is already rare enough as it is, and Corsairs are even harder to find parts for. Not to mention a 4.7 costs a good 4.2-4.5K for a used one without wiring harnesses or anything and i can pick up a nice 5.7 with wiring harnesses and so on for 2.5.

You’ve already verified the tick is not from valve train when you removed the load from the cylinder before and the noise went away. With no valves opening it’s not going to “tick” because there is no load on that cylinder.

Last edited:
Been a little bit since i posted here, but i figured i should let you all know what i have found so far.

I removed the drivers valve cover again. I took the lifters and rockers out for cylinder 7, and the tick went away. I haven’t ran it without the lifters/rockers for that bank yet, but i will probably later today and see if it’s gone for sure.

Only thing i have left to check is intake, i replaced the exhaust manifolds and gaskets. Had the stud that was broken in the head fixed.

If i can’t get it fixed within the next few weeks, i am just going to pull the plug and 5.7 swap it. The 4.7 pre 07 is already rare enough as it is, and Corsairs are even harder to find parts for. Not to mention a 4.7 costs a good 4.2-4.5K for a used one without wiring harnesses or anything and i can pick up a nice 5.7 with wiring harnesses and so on for 2.5.

I'm a little confused because only a few posts up when I suggested it sounds like lifter/cam tick in the 5.7 you said you had already verified it wasn't lifters.

I'm not sure about these 4.7 engines, but on my 4.6 Ford, I was turning it over by hand and it would make a tick / clunk at the same spot on each revolution. I was convinced there was something wrong with it. Turns out the timing chain tensioners were bled off and it was making a weird noise. But once running it quieted down.

What would happen if you drove it, and it lasted a very long time? Maybe it will rust before it fails?

I almost bought a truck that was involved in a dealership fire and it got smoke damaged but was detailed and shampooed + ozoned for 48 hrs. The prior owner wanted it replaced under insurance as they had an infant and did not want any illnesses from any of the smoke chemicals.

It had the exact tick yours did and im glad i did not buy it. Even though it was a sickeningly cheap deal too good to be true.

Forget the 5.7 swap, it needs this!

You’ve already verified the tick is not from valve train when you removed the load from the cylinder before and the noise went away. With no valves opening it’s not going to “tick” because there is no load on that cylinder.
I’ve just been spitballing.

a 5.7 swap isn't a bad idea, all the 4.7s I've driven are slow
It’s not them being slow that i don’t like, i just would rather an engine that could last over 160K without a failure. Hemis are dependable if you disable MDS, and I figure, i could easily go and swap in a Hemi as they both used the same transmission, both used the same ECM. Mounts are cheap. And then i have a truck that can be both quick, and reliable..

I don't understand not fixing the thing that you know is broken, A blown exhaust manifold gasket can sound really sharp and mechanical because it is so close to the valve popping open.

I don't understand not fixing the thing that you know is broken, A blown exhaust manifold gasket can sound really sharp and mechanical because it is so close to the valve popping open.
It was fixed. The ticking is also not coming from the side that has a broken stud.

It’s not them being slow that i don’t like, i just would rather an engine that could last over 160K without a failure. Hemis are dependable if you disable MDS, and I figure, i could easily go and swap in a Hemi as they both used the same transmission, both used the same ECM. Mounts are cheap. And then i have a truck that can be both quick, and reliable..

Hemi's don't have a problem with MDS, that's an internet myth. "hemi tick" is a thing, but that's not due to MDS and it's actually not all that common as the internet forums would have you believe either considering there have been millions of hemis produced.

Hemi's don't have a problem with MDS, that's an internet myth. "hemi tick" is a thing, but that's not due to MDS and it's actually not all that common as the internet forums would have you believe either considering there have been millions of hemis produced.
The tick not being common much on 5.7s makes me happy. It’ll be nice having an engine that actually has aftermarket support though.

I’ve just been spitballing.
I get it but you wasted your time 🤷🏻‍♂️. Just step back and think! I get the desperation to find the issue but you’re making more work that necessary for yourself.

It’s either a rod, wrist pin or piston.

I mean, if you’ve ever walked through a parking lot and heard a tick, it’s pretty safe to assume it’s a Hemi. Pretty often too.

Back