Timing chain change interval?

GM LS/LT is Better than this Audi V8 catastrophy !

View attachment 175864
What manufacture in their right mind would ever think this is a good idea? Hmm after just writing the first part it dawned on me, that from a manufacture and a dealer view point this is actually a brilliant design. Since most of all that stuff is likely dealer only, and there are plenty of parts to wear out and have problems with, this is potentially a great money maker.

Either they have tons of work at dealerships working on these and selling parts, or replacement engines.
This makes me think of the W8, they were a multi thousand dollar disposable engine. Very few parts available for them.

Myself and the rest of my family have never had to replace timing chains. A few vehicles have gone 300,000+ miles before we sold them. Just use quality oils and filters and sleep well.

Myself and the rest of my family have never had to replace timing chains. A few vehicles have gone 300,000+ miles before we sold them. Just use quality oils and filters and sleep well.
Its not always the chain, the crappy plastic chain guides can break, and great oil can't help that problem.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link ! So not just wear elongation other wise known as stretch can be an issue, but also a fracture of the links or pins. Again the best oil and lube in the world won't prevent that sort of failure.

Fair point, that being said I don't view timing chains as preventative maintenance items.
They are a wear item. So sure there is nothing that is a wear item on a vehicle that is a preventative maintenance item I guess, that should include tires, bearings and what ever else we can think of. Its maybe best to let every thing either wear out or break then fix.
You know "don't fix some thin that aint broke".
It is goofy that in the industrial world, machines of all sorts are torn down, and serviced at certain intervals to check and replace parts, even though said machines are running fine.
This is especially true with aircraft. So go figure.

What manufacture in their right mind would ever think this is a good idea? Hmm after just writing the first part it dawned on me, that from a manufacture and a dealer view point this is actually a brilliant design. Since most of all that stuff is likely dealer only, and there are plenty of parts to wear out and have problems with, this is potentially a great money maker.

Either they have tons of work at dealerships working on these and selling parts, or replacement engines.
This makes me think of the W8, they were a multi thousand dollar disposable engine. Very few parts available for them.
The people who are the first owners of those own or lease for 1-3 years then replace. So the primary customer base doesn't care and the manufacturers don't care.

Back