Timing chain change interval?

How many miles until timing chain needs to be changed? 2016 Cmax SEL Hybrid?

I imagine they can last longer now but I have changed them back in the day.

Until it's stretched so much it can no longer keep the engine timed properly.
- or until any slipper blocks are worn out
- or until any ratcheting/tensioning mechanism is fully extended

For numerous reasons a timing chain no longer automatically equals zero maintenance.

Lots of vehicles will give you a timing or phaser error code.

Last edited:
With exception to certain engines that are known to have timing chain issues, as long as you change the oil regularly and use a decent oil the chain should last the life of the engine.

None of my family or friends have ever had an issue with the chain itself on their cars. And I've had 2 cars go quite a while on the factory chains.

On the Mercedes, M116 V-8, it should be done about every hundred thousand miles.

On a small block, Chevy or Ford, I wouldn’t let it go much past that either.

Modern car? It would depend on the wear of the guides, and how much range the tensioner has left.

But I would be checking at about 100,000.

On the Mercedes, M116 V-8, it should be done about every hundred thousand miles.

On a small block, Chevy or Ford, I wouldn’t let it go much past that either.
My 2005 Chevy 5.3 is at 241,000 miles and still quiet as a mouse on the original timing chain. I change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals and use Valvoline Maxlife HM 10w30 . I’ve never considered a timing chain as a maintenance item…maybe I should.

My 2005 Chevy 5.3 is at 241,000 miles and still quiet as a mouse on the original timing chain. I change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals and use Valvoline Maxlife HM 10w30 . I’ve never considered a timing chain as a maintenance item…maybe I should.
I had a small block Ford (1970 302) jump time at about 120,000 miles. Loose chain. Worn gears, and it jumped a tooth.

Started the Ford one morning. Died. Refused to start again. Cranked OK.

Checked fuel at the carb, yep, spark, yep. Checked ignition timing. Off by nearly 20 degrees. Which was about one tooth on the timing gear. Replaced the timing set, started right up.

Not as much experience with the modern Chevy engines, but this was the days of nylon covered gears, and they sure didn’t last long before a failure like this. Everybody raves about timing chains, but I’ve done quite a few timing chains.

I had a small block Ford (1970 302) jump time at about 120,000 miles. Loose chain. Worn gears, and it jumped a tooth.

Started the Ford one morning. Died. Refused to start again. Cranked OK.

Checked fuel at the carb, yep, spark, yep. Checked ignition timing. Off by nearly 20 degrees. Which was about one tooth on the timing gear. Replaced the timing set, started right up.

Not as much experience with the modern Chevy engines, but this was the days of nylon covered gears, and they sure didn’t last long before a failure like this. Everybody raves about timing chains, but I’ve done quite a few timing chains.
For the most part I think materials and knowledge have come a very long way since then. My last car went to 324k miles on the original chain, and the previous engine on my wife's Sonata went 215k on the original chain before the engine died due to the well known issues with the Theta-II engine family.

While I fully agree that having a timing chain does not equal maintenance-free, chains seem to last far longer than belts overall, with most of them lasting the life of the engine from what I have seen. Of course, there are outliers for sure (VW/Audi, early GM 3.6L V6s)

Good design. A short cam in block roller chain with added guides - looks like an easy 200K+ mile item.

5.3 tc.jpg

How many miles until timing chain needs to be changed? 2016 Cmax SEL Hybrid?

I imagine they can last longer now but I have changed them back in the day.

You're ahead of the game IMO with a 3 or 4cyl engine equipped with a timing chain, over an OHC V6 or V8.

Over at a Nissan Pathfinder board I frequent, owners of 2017+ are having to do major T-chain overhauls on their VQ35DD V6's at under 100K miles. These engines turn the engine oil black in no time so it is likely a lot of it is caused by lackluster maintenance.

After 1 week at my first drafting job I was promoted to mechanical designer. Learned a lot in that kind of work. One time I got into chain specs. All kind of materials to make chains from. Back in the day I suspect automotive chains were probably built to the lowest spec.

Especially if one does extended OCI where grits and bits can grind away at the links.

Yeah and DI soot is a nasty grinding agent. It's the new baddie thats crept up threatening chain life.

There's a wide variety of designs at play.

As the guys mention with modern high quality parts the simple the short SBC/SBF deals are often a lifetime part now.

Then you have stuff like this......

V8_audi_timing_chain_failure_repair_1.jpg

Back