My 2019 Nissan with timing chain issues

Sounds (no pun intended) the chain tensioner may need to be replaced, I know in some BMW engines the tensioner can be accessed by removing the fan shroud and a couple of plastic pieces.

Reactions: JTK
$2,100 isn’t bad if it gets you up and running and the engine can go another 50K. If research shows the engines are trashed from contamination and a new engine is $12K, I’d trade this thing in. Sounds like you want to get rid of this engine period.

Was this the CVT saga vehicle? Didn't they also replace something else like t-case or rear end in the course of this?

Was this the CVT saga vehicle? Didn't they also replace something else like t-case or rear end in the course of this?
Negative. All original parts there. I over-maintained it as is my custom (and downfall). I drained/filled the T-case 3x and the rear diff once. Many CVT fluid drain/fills as well and I was the maniac who used Castrol Transmax universal ATF/CVT fluid in it for the past 25-30K miles. Whomever buys it may be a bit uneasy when they discover red fluid in the CVT instead of Nissan blue (or green/black as it tends to drain out).

Regardless, the Pathfinder is gone. I traded it in on a 2021 Chevy Traverse LS AWD w/ 30K miles. The missus insisted on another 3 row seating vehicle and this one fit the bill.

That was a 2014, here's one of his other threads:

My 2015 4.0l Nissan engine makes horrible noise when cold started. It has 230000 miles on it and UOA are perfect. I would investigate farther. Started making noise around 80000 miles

My 2015 4.0l Nissan engine makes horrible noise when cold started. It has 230000 miles on it and UOA are perfect. I would investigate farther. Started making noise around 80000 miles
I hear you there. I'm familiar with the VQ40DE sounds. My inlaws have a 2017 Frontier. My VQ35DD chain slap-o-rama was different to say the least.

i love the 2011 lo mile VQ 40 fronty i bought a few years ago, only 50 some on it now! todays engines give better mpgs + performance BUT not EZE or cheep to work on!! gotta add that having leaking axle seals under 50 thou was a surprise + thankfully my honest small indy got me fixed asap after i found the parts at a local stealer for the first one as it puked on my indys floor when it was in for pa state inspection kept the bill with part #'s + saved 1/3 on line for the second one when it started to seep + had said parts not available at any local auto parts. the nissan-dana rear with my 6 spd manual uses parts different than most others

Last edited:
Negative. All original parts there. I over-maintained it as is my custom (and downfall). I drained/filled the T-case 3x and the rear diff once. Many CVT fluid drain/fills as well and I was the maniac who used Castrol Transmax universal ATF/CVT fluid in it for the past 25-30K miles. Whomever buys it may be a bit uneasy when they discover red fluid in the CVT instead of Nissan blue (or green/black as it tends to drain out).

Regardless, the Pathfinder is gone. I traded it in on a 2021 Chevy Traverse LS AWD w/ 30K miles. The missus insisted on another 3 row seating vehicle and this one fit the bill.
You’ll like the Traverse. We have a ‘21 RS and I really like it. Fuel economy is great for the size and I really like the way it drives.

That’s how it is sometimes. Maintenance cannot prevent failures that are inherent to a bad design, they may postpone them at best.

Dump this thing while it still has some value and don’t look back. There is nothing you could’ve done to prevent it.
Correkt. Nissan issue at hand.

• Helpful
The dealer did a marginal detail job to the Pathfinder and had it listed for $16900. It was gone off the website in less than two days. 😳

The dealer did a marginal detail job to the Pathfinder and had it listed for $16900. It was gone off the website in less than two
Wish you luck on the Chevy a few neighbors of mines have 2019+ transverse and no problems at all one have 125k on it idle smooth and quiet I think you made the right choice.

Back