Time-Sert M14x1.25 Drill Bit Not Drilling Into Oil Pan Drain Plug

I am attempting to use a Time- Sert M14x1.25 oil pan drain plug repair kit with not success. The drill bit does not cut and grab into the metal. I even tried with a different drill bit from a different manufacture. Would the motor oil that keep getting pulled out be the issue creating to much lubricant? I did drain the oil.

I have a feeling that might be the issue.

I don’t think you could have too much lubricant while drilling. What type of bits are you using? Some of them I’ve seen don’t do so good in metal.

I am attempting to use a Time- Sert M14x1.25 oil pan drain plug repair kit with not success. The drill bit does not cut and grab into the metal. I even tried with a different drill bit from a different manufacture. Would the motor oil that keep getting pulled out be the issue creating to much lubricant? I did drain the oil.

No, most boring operations are supposed to be lubricated.

Stupid question. Do you have the drill bit(s) rotating in the right direction?

14x1.25, that is not a common size. Sure you have the correct size? 14x1.5 is much more common for a drain plug.

Also, are you trying to drill into a steel pan with a welded nut? Those pans cannot be timeserted. Timeserts are generally used on aluminum pans only.

Last edited:
14x1.25, that is not a common size. Sure you have the correct size? 14x1.5 is much more common for a drain plug.

Also, are you trying to drill into a steel pan with a welded nut? Those pans cannot be timeserted. Timeserts are generally used on aluminum pans only.
I realized I made a mistake the Time-Sert is 14x1.5. The oil pan is made of steel. I do not know if it is a welded nut on the other side of the oil pan. All I know is the drill bit that came with the kit does not even make a scratch in the oil pan.

I do not think this will work with a steel oil pan.

I don’t think you could have too much lubricant while drilling. What type of bits are you using? Some of them I’ve seen don’t do so good in metal.
I am using the one that came with the Time-Sert and I purchased a bit for Metal from Milwaukee.

The plug has to be out first. The drilling phase is to cut the bad old threads out and make the hole a little larger. It's not for drilling into anything solid.

The drill you use is not the standard size to tap threads. It is larger to accomodate the thickness of the insert. Usually the drill and tap are part of the insert kit. Neither one is a standard thread size that any bolt will fit directly into.

As noted a steel pan doesn't have enough extra metal around the threaded part for a timesert to work. You could try one of those repair plugs that are slightly oversize and cut their own threads, but likely you're going to end up replacing the whole pan with a new or used one.

Reactions: JC1
The plug has to be out first. The drilling phase is to cut the bad old threads out and make the hole a little larger. It's not for drilling into anything solid.

The drill you use is not the standard size to tap threads. It is larger to accomodate the thickness of the insert. Usually the drill and tap are part of the insert kit. Neither one is a standard thread size that any bolt will fit directly into.

As noted a steel pan doesn't have enough extra metal around the threaded part for a timesert to work. You could try one of those repair plugs that are slightly oversize and cut their own threads, but likely you're going to end up replacing the whole pan with a new or used one.
The plug is out. I have used Time-Sert before. And I believe you are correct. " You could try one of those repair plugs that are slightly oversize and cut their own threads, but likely you're going to end up replacing the whole pan with a new or used one."

There are special Time-Sert kits for steel pans but you have to be using the right one.

The drill bit provided with the kit will cut into the type of steel used in a drain pan unless the bit is damaged.

Is this a steel or aluminum pan?
I realized I made a mistake the Time-Sert is 14x1.5. The oil pan is made of steel. I do not know if it is a welded nut on the other side of the oil pan. All I know is the drill bit that came with the kit does not even make a scratch in the oil pan.
If a drill isn't making a scratch then it's either dull or broken, both of which can be determined by a visual inspection of the bit.

You're thinking of this kit: https://www.wiseautotools.com/time-sert-0765-ford-oil-drain-pan-thread-repair-kit/

1/2-20 is probably a bit smaller than M14x1.5. I think he's out of luck; a new pan is the better route here.
Well I wasn't really thinking of any one in particular, I just remember running across them when I was fixing an aluminum Honda pan for a friend (which even there was cheaper to replace the pan).

But looking around now I found this:

Well I wasn't really thinking of any one in particular, I just remember running across them when I was fixing an aluminum Honda pan for a friend (which even there was cheaper to replace the pan).

But looking around now I found this:

I must have missed that. Good find.

Regardless, I don't know if it is cost-effective for a DIYer to repair a steel oil pan. Those steel pans are fairly inexpensive.

kschachn, I wish I had posted this question before I started. I also wish I knew to make sure the Time-Sert I am using was capable of cutting steel. I had no idea I have to pay attention to the difference.​

The vehicle is a 2008 Ford E350. With no lift I tried to avoid doing this oil pan plug job if I could.

kschachn, I wish I had posted this question before I started. I also wish I knew to make sure the Time-Sert I am using was capable of cutting steel. I had no idea I have to pay attention to the difference.​

The vehicle is a 2008 Ford E350. With no lift I tried to avoid doing this oil pan plug job if I could.
Which Engine do you have?

The 5.4 should use a 14x1.5 plug so I would have expected the drill bit to have done something. Depending on the part # of your kit, I might be interested in buying it.

] SOLVED SOLUTION [

Thanks everyone for the input. For any other reading this. This is where my mistakes occurred.
- I should have checked the type of material this oil pan was made of.
- I should check to make sure the Time-Sert is designed for that type of material.

What I learned steel pans are thinner and because of this Time-Sert inserts will not work because there is not enough material there. Aluminum pans are thicker and this is why it is much more common to see this type of repair.

A deeper inquiry into drill bits and metal hardness knowledge needs to be improved.

The Critic : The Time-Sert is not mine or I would.

My solution was to use a M14x1.5 tap to redo the threads on the oil pan. A new drain plug bolt was added and I also added a crush washer between the bolt and steel oil pan. There are no leaks so far.

Thanks all.

Back