Thoughts and opinions on 2012 beetle 2.0tsi

I have 2 grown daughters and now hold 3 purses while I wait in the store. I would be OK with a Beetle I think. Does that make me girly?
Idk about the Beetle, but I learned at a young age from my mom that girls are fond of guys that'll willingly hold purses and such in public without flinching. Has served me well over the years. Bonus points if you goof around and act silly while doing so. Keep them laughing, keep them happy.

I'd love to have a Beetle, but want an old one. More fun and cheaper to work on. Used to be, anyway. You could almost build a new one from scratch out of a JC Whitney catalog.

This old you tube video on the new Beetle was interesting.

We had an 02 in the family and it was the biggest POS I ever owned. Electrical gremlins were its demise. The trans shifted very rough as well. Only had 106k miles on it but drove like it had the 251k my Camry has, which still drives like new.

I sold it and didn’t even glance back as it left.

We had an 02 in the family and it was the biggest POS I ever owned. Electrical gremlins were its demise. The trans shifted very rough as well. Only had 106k miles on it but drove like it had the 251k my Camry has, which still drives like new.
Yeah, Camry's do typically feel like 4 dead struts, from the get-go. I remember when I lost a swaybar end link, for a month I was going around corners, scraping the door handles, thinking, I don't remember the handling being this bad... but it's a Camry, body roll is normal, right? Then I found the bad end link, replaced it, and it went back to its normal not-quite-a-boat body roll. :ROFLMAO:

Didn't the TSI's have problems with intake valve carbon? Maybe not a big deal now.

We are looking at a 2012 Beetle at our local car dealer. It is a 2012 beetle 2.0 tsi manual transmission with 93k miles. Looks to be in good shape. How reliable are these generally? I read about the timing chain tensioner but the vw dealer I called ran the vin and said it has the updated tensioner and should be good to go. Just looking for a fun little daily to keep the miles off of my WRX. Let me know what you think!
I have that engine in Tiguan (CCTA), and I own Tiguan since 2013 when I purchased it with some 30k I think. Now it is at 105k.
I put an updated tensioner some 6 years ago, something like that. Around 68k I noticed coolant level dropping. These EA888 are notorious for cracking water pumps. As I was about to replace the water pump, I got a notice from VW for a water pump recall. They changed it, so fat so good.
The only failure I had was the HVAC resistor, which cost about $5.
Last year we made som 2,900 mile road trip with it. Did like a champ.
It is my wife's car, and she would not change it for anything.

Yeah, Camry's do typically feel like 4 dead struts, from the get-go. I remember when I lost a swaybar end link, for a month I was going around corners, scraping the door handles, thinking, I don't remember the handling being this bad... but it's a Camry, body roll is normal, right? Then I found the bad end link, replaced it, and it went back to its normal not-quite-a-boat body roll. :ROFLMAO:

Didn't the TSI's have problems with intake valve carbon? Maybe not a big deal now.
TFSI, EA113 was a notorious one. EA888, which replaced EA113, is much better, but still, it is like any other engine without port injection. Mine in Tiguan is at 105k, and I never did cleaning.

I sold one that had 215K on it and it still ran great. I still have a TDI and R line TFSI with K04 both have been trouble free. Would I buy another one? You bet, the MKVI PQ35 chassis they are based on is a good one, rust is not a issue with these cars.
BTW unless you live in CA it will the CCTA engine not the CBFA.
^This.

Back