school me on the 2012 Pilot

A family member is selling their 2012 pilot with 120k miles that looks like it just rolled off the showroom and im considering buying it. From what I've read around vcm can be a bit concerning honda v6s and the transmissions can be a bit weak. Other than that it has all the oil change records, timing belt done a year ago along with the full 105K service, transmission fluid has been done and it have in general been meticulously taken care of.
Should i be worried about these things and are there any other issues you guys know about?

A family member is selling their 2012 pilot with 120k miles that looks like it just rolled off the showroom and im considering buying it. From what I've read around vcm can be a bit concerning honda v6s and the transmissions can be a bit weak. Other than that it has all the oil change records, timing belt done a year ago along with the full 105K service, transmission fluid has been done and it have in general been meticulously taken care of.
Should i be worried about these things and are there any other issues you guys know about?
J35s are reliable with VCM disabled, but they are also picky with the PCV. Recommend only OEM there. Change the trans fluid every 20k miles and you should be fine.

They’re not very friendly at the gas pump, though…

J35s are reliable with VCM disabled, but they are also picky with the PCV. Recommend only OEM there. Change the trans fluid every 20k miles and you should be fine.

They’re not very friendly at the gas pump, though…
If that's all it takes I'll be set. My accord has been getting 34-35 highway so that part will hurt though

Maybe. My son's '16 Odyssey (same engine I believe) threw two codes last year. Both were related to heavy oil consumption @85K from the VCM system. My fix was to refresh the 0W-20 oil, toss in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, change #3 plug with an OE ngk plug and install a Muzzler. Seven months and 10K miles later the van is still cruising along w/o problems. If I were looking to buy this Pilot I'd pull #3 plug (seems to be the place the problem reveals itself) and dip a boroscope down to check the cross hatching. If that is not equivocal and the engine has been burning oil might need rings. Polietly pass.

I have a 2013. Definitely put a VCM disabler on it. If it's 4WD, change the rear diff. fluid every 30k miles.

In 90k miles, the only non-routine things I've had to do are:

- Both oil pressure switches
- 3rd gear pressure switch
- Radiator hose clamp

Last edited:
VCM, oil pressure switches. Pay attention to transmission fluid intervals. If FWD get good tires driving in snow bcs. torque steer os worth world championship.
Mpg? Somewhere in line with MIG21, and DOES NOT translate into speed.

To the extent of the owners very anal about her car knowledge there is no oil burning. I definitely was planning on getting a vcm muzzle immediately and consistent transmission maintenance is my norm

I don’t know if it’s the same transmission but my coworker just had to replace the whole transmission in his 2008 Pilot and it doesn’t have that many miles.

Solid built suv. Agree with all of the posts here. Iirc, the electronic speed controller for the rear HVAC can overheat, but the replacement isn’t bad. Solid chassis, excellent heavy highway vehicle. Reliable drivetrain, well-executed interior, thirstier at the pump than you’d think it should be. Stay on top of AWD fluids, which depending on the mechanism can have a frequent interval.

we’ve had a couple of MDXs and an odyssey in the family, all of which share similar dna. I have better opinions of these than the mid and late teens models. If it’s been well maintained, I would not be afraid of it.

Very solid SUVs. Power is okay, but certainly leaves a bit to be desired. The 5 speed autos are decently reliable, and at least easy to service. I'd muzzle it in a heartbeat. S-VCM is what I have and I like it. All told, that should be a good, reliable vehicle for a long time.

Solid built suv. Agree with all of the posts here. Iirc, the electronic speed controller for the rear HVAC can overheat, but the replacement isn’t bad. Solid chassis, excellent heavy highway vehicle. Reliable drivetrain, well-executed interior, thirstier at the pump than you’d think it should be. Stay on top of AWD fluids, which depending on the mechanism can have a frequent interval.

we’ve had a couple of MDXs and an odyssey in the family, all of which share similar dna. I have better opinions of these than the mid and late teens models. If it’s been well maintained, I would not be afraid of it.
I have it and refuse to drive anywhere longer than two hours. Give me anything but that cramped front seat. If the owner is anywhere 6ft or taller, it is painful.
Last December, when we got screwed by Southwest, we packed Tiguan, put Yakima roof box on top, and went to Las Vegas-San Diego-LA-Las Vegas-back home, Pilot stayed in the garage.

I have it and refuse to drive anywhere longer than two hours. Give me anything but that cramped front seat. If the owner is anywhere 6ft or taller, it is painful.
Last December, when we got screwed by Southwest, we packed Tiguan, put Yakima roof box on top, and went to Las Vegas-San Diego-LA-Las Vegas-back home, Pilot stayed in the garage.
I'm 6'4" and I didn't have any problems with the interior. Then again, I daily the Elantra 60 miles round trip, so maybe I'm not the best judge of comfort.

By 2012 the 5 speed was a solid unit. They'll usually go 2-300k with decent maintenance.
+1

By then the transmission issues were pretty well sorted. My sister has one of the "problematic" Honda transmissions in her 2003 Acura 3.2TL, and that car just passed 202k miles, all original. I've done transmission fluid changes every 30k miles since she bought it with 80k miles. Hondas are very maintenance friendly.

Back