2012 Toyota Sienna Awd transmission prices?

I'm having problems in my 2012 Toyota Sienna 3.5l Awd transmission. It has 92k miles on it and was serviced with pan drop at 40k and 70k for preventive maintenance. It sometimes drops out of drive at a stop and the 3-4 shift feels weird rarely. So I went to a local transmission shop and paid for the diagnosis which they didn't even drop the pan, Looks like they used the drain plug to see it's dark. Came back with a price of $8k. So I declined the repair and parked it while I get some more prices. $8k seems like a price a Toyota dealer would give you for a factory rebuild.

If I had to bet, I would say the center bearing is loose and causing the problem. It's a known weak point in this trans. Omega Machine and tool makes a refurbished case with better support for that bearing. https://www.omegamachine.com/db/U660E case repair.asp

What would be considered a good price for a decent rebuild? I have had this van since 2015 and was planning on keeping it.

A 92,000 mile Toyota transmission shouldn't need to be replaced or rebuilt, especially if it's had regular service. Sounds like a bad $50 solenoid or couple hundred dollar valve body https://www.ebay.com/itm/256088991205? The $8000 estimate means they have no idea what the problem is and just hope you take it elsewhere.
That's what I was thinking, Just didn't want the job unless I was willing to pay an obscene price.
Funny thing is It is rust free underneath unlike most vehicles around here. Couldn't pay me to work on older vehicles here with all the rust.

Time for another shop.

Do you have a regular garage you do work with? they might know what trans shops that they like to refer work to.

Time for another shop.

Do you have a regular garage you do work with? they might know what trans shops that they like to refer work to.
I do all my maintenance, I have a few shops I was going to call today but looks like they are closed on weekends.

Back