Volkswagen Beetle. A classic car on a budget?

I’ve always wanted a classic car. I just don’t have the disposable income to afford one. The closest thing I have is a ‘91 Previa, but parts are not really available for it. Many important parts are no longer available. So once it dies I think I want to switch to something else.

American classics look better, but they just cost too much.

I never considered a beetle because it is European. I have never ever felt any draw to European cars, especially ones with a past as colorful as the beetle. But I have been thinking that a super beetle may be good option for someone like me.

I love working on vehicles, especially if it is a car that is my hobby car, not a daily. I had fun tuning a scooter carburetor a few days ago. So, maybe a carbureted beetle would be good for me. Cheap, old school, fun. It would just be my beach cruiser car.

Anyone have experience with these? I know it won’t be as reliable as a Toyota Camry or something, but it will be cheap, won’t it?

Just get one with no structural rust and you're golden. I had a 74 non-Super for a little while, just too hot in Texas to enjoy something like that. It was fun to tinker with but I never did get the running hot situation figured out. Oil temperature was on the verge of being too hot when on the highway, and me and my VW mechanic went over everything. Apparently engines can be dropped in 15 minutes. I spent an hour putting an exhaust system on it. Very easy work on. Can be challenging to keep up with traffic, especially on-ramps, so relegate it to Sunday drives. If you live in a climate where this car can't be enjoyed, I would recommend something else.
13-Beetle.jpg

Great cars but try to buy one in rust free areas of the countries, most original ones I see need extensive rust restoration. The floor and heater channels and boxes as well as the front axle plate are usually gone. Getting the engine in/out and rebuilding it are very easy and all body and engine parts are easy to find.

Those come at a premium here compared to something like a 1977 Plymouth Volare. But the Bug would be quirky and different while the Volare would be like a modern car, but suckier in every dimension.

Just get one with no structural rust and you're golden. I had a 74 non-Super for a little while, just too hot in Texas to enjoy something like that. It was fun to tinker with but I never did get the running hot situation figured out. Oil temperature was on the verge of being too hot when on the highway, and me and my VW mechanic went over everything. Apparently engines can be dropped in 15 minutes. I spent an hour putting an exhaust system on it. Very easy work on. Can be challenging to keep up with traffic, especially on-ramps, so relegate it to Sunday drives. If you live in a climate where this car can't be enjoyed, I would recommend something else.
View attachment 171976
I live in Florida. Does that make summer evening drives a no go?

I live in Florida. Does that make summer evening drives a no go?
TX is about 10° warmer than Florida at this time, but Florida is still quite miserable with no AC. I would advise yes because they're fun to work on and fun to cruise around in, but I have a feeling you won't keep it long, unless you like having cars sitting around waiting for cooler months to arrive.

Also the body can be unbolted from the frame (less than 20 bolts to pan).
Vin is on pan so if you change out the pan the Vin needs to be added to the title.
But you need to brace the body so it stays in alignment when you lift it.
I removed the engine in 20 minutes on my 1967 for a clutch job.
Very easy classic vehicle to work on, Just find one rust free for a good starting point.
Parts are readily available online.

I recommend one. I love mine. Mine is a frakenbug but I still love it. It is on a 73 Super pan but 71 Super body on it. I found out after talking to the original owner. With the 73 pan it’s required to be registered as a 73. The original pan rotted in the 90s so he replaced it with a junkyard one. I purchased mine in 2019 for $1600 from my automotive teacher who had 4 of them. I talked him into parting with one. It was my dream car growing up. I always thought they were super cool. The cost of parts is pretty cheap and they are easy to work on. I have boxes and boxes of parts for mine but no time to work on it. I’m going to try to work on it whenever I can. Mine needs everything. First the ignition wiring, then tires, brakes, oil change, all new suspension components. Everything. But yes I’d definitely recommend one if you can find one for a reasonable price.

My favorites are the small oval rear window cars. Here's a few facts:
66 was the 1st to have cam bearings and the 1 year only 1300 cc engine, 1200 cc before that
67 was 12V and 1500 cc engine
68 had the bigger tail lights and were great cars but I prefer the older ones

So many parts interchange. Great cars.

If you can handle the no AC part, you're golden. Parts are still around, some good finds can be found on marketplace and such. I have had 10 over the years, and one bus in my younger days, and enjoyed them all. They are 'different" to work on, than your standard 350 chevy. Id say grab some history on them, get a copy of a VW magazine (air cooled) and see if its what you think you might want.

I have a 65 that came from England. A teacher at the local high school had it. It had a 1200cc 40hp in it when I got it for my sons to learn to drive on a stick shift car. All 3 learned on it and the transmission and clutch survived . I since changed the motor to a 1600 and brought it up to 12 volt system. The motor I rebuilt for it now has over 30K on it. I have it stock other than that. It gets over 30mpg and is not to bad to drive in the heat since it has the rear pop out windows. Spin the front vents around and they suck in air and it goes out the rear windows. I put new tires on it two years ago and removed the old and mounted the new without removing the wheels from the car. Just do the maintenance and they run almost forever. Parts have gotten expensive lately. If you can go to a show with a swap meet you might buy a car or parts for much less. The Samba has many people that will help you repair and maintain one. My first was a 1955 with a 36HP motor. I also had a 1959 Bus with a 36 hp. Have fun.

Back