2012 VW Beetle 2.5L Oil Weight

Just picked up a 2012 Beetle 2.5/6AT with 82500 miles.

I've read this is a pretty straight forward engine. Book states to use a 502 or 504 oil. It's had a pretty steady diet of Castrol Edge 5w40 from a VW dealer with some PP sprinkled in. I have a pretty solid service history from the past 45,000 miles.

Is there a preference to a 30 or a 40 for this engine? I've saw someone say to use a 40 for the timing chains benefit. We have no real need to a 0w oil, so it'll be 5w of whatever gets used.

It will not be a high usage car, probably do annual changes. Was thinking of using HPL Euro to complete the fanboi-ism, but it's a decent chunk of money compared to the readily available 502/504 oils. Seems many like Mann or Hengst filters.

I've read this is a pretty straight forward engine. Book states to use a 502 or 504 oil. It's had a pretty steady diet of Castrol Edge 5w40 from a VW dealer with some PP sprinkled in. I have a pretty solid service history from the past 45,000 miles.

Is there a preference to a 30 or a 40 for this engine? I've saw someone say to use a 40 for the timing chains benefit. We have no real need to a 0w oil, so it'll be 5w of whatever gets used.

It will not be a high usage car, probably do annual changes. Was thinking of using HPL Euro to complete the fanboi-ism, but it's a decent chunk of money compared to the readily available 502/504 oils. Seems many like Mann or Hengst filters.
Both 502 00 and 504 00 approvals have the same minimum HT/HS which is a better indicator of film thickness than grade. Pick an oil that has the proper approval and this will render the choice between a 30 and a 40-grade irrelevant. Also don’t exclude an oil just because it has a 0W winter rating, that’s not a deciding factor.

I have used Mobil 1 0w40 in my daughter 2008 Jetta Se with same engine/trans for the last 13 years. It currently has about 185k miles on it, so I would think this would be a good choice

It really doesnt I just used 15w40 all its life.

Just drain and fill that 09G 3-4 times and you should be good.

I drained trans at about 60k and never did it again, our 2008 jetta has 185k on it. I honestly didnt think the car would be around so long. Rust is starting to become an issue so the end is near for this one.

M1 0W-40 is a cheap and solid choice. Been running that in my wife's 2008 Golf w/ 2.5L since we bought it, 145K miles or so ago.

vw’s 2.5 five cylinder engine is great. only god knows why vw dumped it.

It was a compromise choice when it was developed, as it preceded the 2.0T era - the fuel economy was middling.

Great engine though, my 07 Rabbit was very happy on the original German Castrol.

It was a compromise choice when it was developed, as it preceded the 2.0T era - the fuel economy was middling.

Great engine though, my 07 Rabbit was very happy on the original German Castrol.
It was basically North American engine. They sold some in Europe, but it was cheaper option to EA113 and later EA888. Why they dumped it? Bcs. it is VW! Their North American strategy is between incompetent and insane.

Funny you mention fuel economy. I’ve been a little underwhelmed. My wife is getting 25-26mpg. It is not a highway driver but is an east rural route drive and my foot is lighter than hers. Wasn’t expecting 40+ but 30 at least.

The 2.5L didn't precede the 2.0T era.

The EA113 BPY engine 2.0 FSI-Turbo was sold alongside the 2.5 in the MKV.... and later the EA888 CCTA/CBFA 2.0TSI.

The EA113 BPY was developed prior to the 2.5

It was basically North American engine. They sold some in Europe, but it was cheaper option to EA113 and later EA888. Why they dumped it? Bcs. it is VW! Their North American strategy is between incompetent and insane.
VW dumped it to go with less emissions output with the EA888 1.8TSI and 2.0TSI

VW dumped it to go with less emissions output with the EA888 1.8TSI and 2.0TSI
Well yeah. There is CAFE issue too. VW doesn’t have slew of hybrids etc. to offset engine like this. But, their strategy was always too hectic and dieselgate really messed them up. 2.5 was introduced to be competition to simple Asian products. They could update engine to make it emission compatible, but by then they changed strategy.
Think about the fact ghat in Europe they have hybrids on the roads for a long time, and here they are trying to reinvent the wheel.

Back