Thickest common 5w30 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s really simple. What are the thickest 5w30s I can buy that don’t include boutique oils…… i don’t understand why no one likes to answer questions on this forum. “ I don’t think you want an answer” yes, yes I do, I’m doing my oil this week and would like to pick the thickest 30wt oil, looks like I’m going to go with penzoil euro L because that’s an answer I was given. Now what’s yours?

Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30
Castrol Edge Euro Car A3/B4 5W-30

Both will have HTHS of 3.5 and are available at Walmart for reasonable pricing.

Advance Auto Parts has the Mobil 1 European 5W-30 (A3/B4), which has a reasonable combo price with a filter. This would have HTHS of at least 3.5 as well.

Advance Auto Parts has the Mobil 1 European 5W-30 (A3/B4), which has a reasonable combo price with a filter. This would have HTHS of at least 3.5 as well.
That's Mobil 1 FS 5W-30, and Walmart sells it as well for $27.97 / 5 quarts.

What about a heavy 5000 lb. SUV, like a Dodge Durango with the 3.6 Pentastar? What would you @SubieRubyRoo run in it? It calls for 0W-20, lol. I mean, it weighs as much as a RAM 1500.

Last edited:
How does Quaker State compare with what's been said here? I must've seen multiple mentions of Pennzoil, Castrol, and Mobil. Then someone mentioned Royal Purple. I'll throw QS in the mix but there has to be a clear winner right?

Even if it's like another user said, which one remains the thickest/most stable through out its life.

How does Quaker State compare with what's been said here?
Quaker State is Shell's lower end motor oils in green bottles. Shell has a huge portfolio of motor oils. They use Quaker State and Pennzoil to sell those oils in the US. Quaker State is under Pennzoil as far as quality is concerned.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30
Castrol Edge Euro Car A3/B4 5W-30

Both will have HTHS of 3.5 and are available at Walmart for reasonable pricing.

Yes the good thing about Euro rated oils, either full-SAPS ACEA A3/B4 or mid-SAPS ACEA C3, is they must have a min HTHS of 3.5 cP, plus they must pass a stay-in-grade shear stability test.

Also if they carry MB 229.5 (full SAPS) or MB 229.51 (mid SAPS) then they are also required to have a Noack volatility of 10% or less.

These are strong numbers for a 5W30.

Yes the good thing about Euro rated oils, either full-SAPS ACEA A3/B4 or mid-SAPS ACEA C3, is they must have a min HTHS of 3.5 cP, plus they must pass a stay-in-grade shear stability test.

Also if they carry MB 229.5 (full SAPS) or MB 229.51 (mid SAPS) then they are also required to have a Noack volatility of 10% or less.

These are strong numbers for a 5W30.
Speaking of if they carry …

IMG_2094.jpg

may want to consider Royal Purple,HPS,,11.9 @100c, 3.8 hths,,,tbn,9.7,,,all in 5w-30 wt
I run this in my 2 supercharged V8s. It isn't that expensive when bought in the 5 gal pails.

but for the OP, I've never seen the HPS version on common store shelves. Speed shops stock it around here but you don't want to pay what they price it at.

How does Quaker State compare with what's been said here? I must've seen multiple mentions of Pennzoil, Castrol, and Mobil. Then someone mentioned Royal Purple. I'll throw QS in the mix but there has to be a clear winner right?

Even if it's like another user said, which one remains the thickest/most stable through out its life.
Sure, there’s a clear winner - by a matter of a few percent. So, clear? Yeah.

Meaningful? Not at all.

My problem with this thread, is that the original poster wants to know which one is the thickest, without stating why and in what context he intends to use it…

It is a weirdly specific question that actually has no practical application whatsoever. I don’t care what engine he’s running, there’s gonna be absolutely no difference between something that is, say, 9.8 centiStokes and one that is say 10.3 centiStokes.

You’re not gonna get much more variation than that, and there is no practical difference in how the engine is lubricated, or future wear, or anything else.

I’ve seen this a lot recently, somebody comes on the forum, with some bizarre concept about oil, poses their odd question, and refuses to provide any context, because they don’t want debate.

This is absolutely one of those threads. Who cares what the viscosity variation is across the range of 5W 30s. If you really think you need a thicker oil, use a thicker oil - but this? Which of the 5W30 is thicker? My heavens, this is hair splitting of the worst kind.

Most 0W30 are slightly thicker at 100C than 5W30 anyway…why not consider one of them?

Last edited:
Thanks for educating me, as I stated in my post I’m uneducated, so what oil has the highest ht/hs? Quaker state? Penzoil? Mobile one high mileage? What’s your opinion
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L will have HTHS around 3.6. Any Euro oil that has ACEA A3 or C3 (low/mid-SAPS) and BMWLL01, LL04, MB229.5/51/52, VW502.00/504/507, Porsche C30,will have minimum HTHS of 3.5.

It’s really simple. What are the thickest 5w30s I can buy that don’t include boutique oils…… i don’t understand why no one likes to answer questions on this forum. “ I don’t think you want an answer” yes, yes I do, I’m doing my oil this week and would like to pick the thickest 30wt oil, looks like I’m going to go with penzoil euro L because that’s an answer I was given. Now what’s yours?
Perhaps it is because no one likes to answer contrived and essentially trolling questions. There is zero technical reasons as to why you would have to confine your selection to a 30-grade if "thickness" is your goal. No engine requires a specific grade, so if you feel inclined to limit yourself then it's entirely a made up restriction.

I gave you my answer. You can find an oil from there. Here's a hint, even if the blender or manufacturer does not list an HT/HS value the associated approvals an oil may hold specify a minimum value. Use that if you still feel the need to pursue this mysterious and arbitrary goal. Read edyvw's post directly above mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back