The 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Makes an Insane 760 Horsepower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Trav
True, once you put the engine in the middle its no longer a "muscle car" its either an exotic or an experiment.

What it IS is a $60k item that stomps a mud hole in a $80-100k item.

That it is. It is in exotic territory, the Fiero was the experiment.

There must be a hundred high performance cars in the parking lots at work. Very few track them …

Originally Posted by 4WD
There must be a hundred high performance cars in the parking lots at work. Very few track them …

and this is why I now drive a turbo CX5 instead of the Z06 and 370Z I had. I just never did anything more "extreme" with them that a few redlight face-offs and roll-ons on the freeway, sooner or later one of which was bound to result in a 4-figure ticket. No tracks near me except 1/4 mile, and that's boring AF, so...kinda put the car hobby away sortof and got deeper into class 3, because I DO have a shooting range on my own property. WOOT! Currently in San Antonio visiting a friend who has a '19 STi. It's fun as [censored], but it gets loud on the freeway and would give me a head full of cotton after 2-3 hours in it, and the 17mpg combined he's rocking makes me smile at the 27.3mpg I averaged on the 600mi trip down in my relatively boring but quiet CX5 turbo.

That said, I legit appreciate the new C8. It absolutely dominates and makes an $80K mustang seem even dumber than it already did every other year Ford made one over $50K.

Originally Posted by Ws6

No tracks near me except 1/4 mile, and that's boring AF

You've clearly never experienced a vehicle which is quick and fast enough to make it interesting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by Ws6

You've clearly never experienced a vehicle which is quick and fast enough to make it interesting.

I guess. My Z06 was capable of 11's bone stock without a lot of effort at 120+ trap speeds. Boring. I don't want to spend t he money to get into the 8's or 9's. What are you doing?

My M235i isn't all that fast(a 12.9 second 1/4 mile), but I've enjoyed taking it to a road course as well as the local1/8 mile drag strip. Both are fun in their own way. The fact that the 2er returns 26 mpg in everyday driving and gets over 32 mpg on the interstate does compensate for it being something less than a rocket sled- and adding another 50 or so hp is neither difficult or expensive.
That said, if/when I replace it the successor needs to be something that I can refer to as "fast" with a totally straight face.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

I guess. My Z06 was capable of 11's bone stock without a lot of effort at 120+ trap speeds. Boring. I don't want to spend t he money to get into the 8's or 9's. What are you doing?

The last 16 years or so, I've been working/consulting on TF/D's.

Seems 50 years later the "big 3" still have:
1 sports car
3 pony cars
But the "muscle cars" have thinned out to Dodge only
(a 4 door car also used in milder family car versions)

The last 16 years or so, I've been working/consulting on TF/D's.

Totally unrelated to the topic of the thread but Steve Torrence has been impressing me a ton the past year. When he did in the Countdown last year and his dominance this year has been incredible. He seems like a cool person too. I forget what race it was earlier this year but he had the Capco boys helping build the car that he was going to race against in the final.

Most of the people on the tour are decent people, that will help anyone, even a competitor. The first team I worked with back in the day was an underfunded team that only ran a few races a year. We were the recipient of that sort of help several times.

It's been cool to be able to help others from the other side of the equation too.

I recall one time we were in the staging lanes, and I noticed an issue on the Greek's car. I pointed it out to his crew chief, and he was grateful to have the issue pointed out, as it would have been a serious problem as soon as they tried to fire the engine.

Originally Posted by wtd
My 2014 Mustang GT has plenty of power for me and I have no desire to have any more. It has more than enough to get you in trouble quick.

I'm the same way. I don't need 6, 7, or 800 HP. I plan on getting a C5 Corvette, which stock is only 350 HP. It'll run low 13s to high 12s stock, do 0-60 in the mid 4s, and has a top speed of over 180 mph. Why anyone needs anything faster is beyond me...

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by wtd
My 2014 Mustang GT has plenty of power for me and I have no desire to have any more. It has more than enough to get you in trouble quick.

I'm the same way. I don't need 6, 7, or 800 HP. I plan on getting a C5 Corvette, which stock is only 350 HP. It'll run low 13s to high 12s stock, do 0-60 in the mid 4s, and has a top speed of over 180 mph. Why anyone needs anything faster is beyond me...

99x out of 100, it's because "want". They have no clue how to actually DRIVE it, and even if they did, it's not sensible on the street.

True, once you put the engine in the middle its no longer a "muscle car" its either an exotic or an experiment.

The Corvette has never been a muscle car, it's a sports car...

Originally Posted by wtd

It's right there. No one really needs a 300hp vehicle to drive to and from work, and yet here I am doing exactly that because I want 300hp.

Whatever you say. The older ones were sporty looking cars at best, with a big block in it it was more a muscle car IMO.

Back then everything was a muscle car in your book if it wasn't a 4 or 6 cylinder, then.

I know the difference.. The Vette was not even close to a sport car until the mid 80's, sure it was a 2 door/2 seater with a long snout making it a "sporty looking" car but the handling ingredient making a true sport car were not in the package.

Originally Posted by wtd

A C5 Z06 is probably the best performance bargain on the planet.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Originally Posted by wtd

A C5 Z06 is probably the best performance bargain on the planet.

Agreed. Super clean for $30K or less. Slap some good tires on it, flush the brake fluid, G2G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back