The 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Makes an Insane 760 Horsepower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
As awesome of a car as I think this is, the new C8 announcement sure took a lot of wind out of Ford's sails.

Exactly. Unless you're a fanboy, the new Shelby is just stupid.

have gone for a ride in my bosses 2014 … It's probably not going to hang with C8's on certain s-tracks … but putting down over 700 at the wheels is a feeling most have not experienced ... 18" w/ multi calipers have lots to arrest on that snake …

Originally Posted by 4WD
have gone for a ride in my bosses 2014 … It's probably not going to hang with C8's on certain s-tracks … but putting down over 700 at the wheels is a feeling most have not experienced ... 18" w/ multi calipers have lots to arrest on that snake …

It's still not in the same league. My 505hp Z06 woulda mushed on it. The mustang is a fat POS with a crap suspension compared to a 'vette. Here is a 860hp Shelby Super Snake...still slower than my 2011 Z06.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/road-tests/a26666/shelby-super-snake-road-test/

Oh...and for under $60K, the new BASE corvette will be a full SECOND faster 0-60 than this 850hp turd. The new Mustang? Well, we will see, but my money is on the actual sports car.

Originally Posted by Ws6
It's still not in the same league. My 505hp Z06 woulda mushed on it. The mustang is a fat POS with a crap suspension compared to a 'vette. Here is a 860hp Shelby Super Snake...still slower than my 2011 Z06.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/road-tests/a26666/shelby-super-snake-road-test/

Oh...and for under $60K, the new BASE corvette will be a full SECOND faster 0-60 than this 850hp turd. The new Mustang? Well, we will see, but my money is on the actual sports car.

The Super Snakes are incredibly overrated. A customer of ours bought one and it is junk, but he thinks it is cool so that is all the matters. Body lines from the parts they added do not line up, it isn't even smog legal here so in 6 years I'm not sure what he plans on doing. Also it has 2 piece rotors, the bolts were all hand tight at best and were safety wired backwards. When we called Shelby to get warranty time, no Ford coverage on that part, they said backwards safety wire and loose bolts were as designed and not an issue.

I'd rather take a GT350R and a few sets of extra tires, and have some money left over. Then again, I'm a high revving NA kind of guy.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by Ws6

The Super Snakes are incredibly overrated. A customer of ours bought one and it is junk, but he thinks it is cool so that is all the matters. Body lines from the parts they added do not line up, it isn't even smog legal here so in 6 years I'm not sure what he plans on doing. Also it has 2 piece rotors, the bolts were all hand tight at best and were safety wired backwards. When we called Shelby to get warranty time, no Ford coverage on that part, they said backwards safety wire and loose bolts were as designed and not an issue.

Now you are making it sound like an FCA product. Just kidding. Surprised to hear that. Wouldn't mind one of these Cobra Jets...a family member owns one. Fun car.

[Linked Image]

Do love the Charger Hellcat for a practical daily. Coming up on 10,000 miles...love the supercharger whine...best reason to get a SC bdcardinal.

Just filled up the Hellcat, which included some stop and go along with a 160 mile round trip. Got 19.5 mpg. Not bad for a heavy car with this power.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I am not a Ford guy, but I like this car. I like how it looks and I like the amount of power it is putting out.
Keeps everyone on their toes.

Really something like this going to be for someone who can afford to let it sit until a track day or weekend.

You are probably not driving this everyday. Heck I don't even drive the WS6 everyday and that is just a mid 11sec car. I guess mostly because of the heavy clutch and the traffic getting on base in the
morning with tight security.

Not the same car … his is the 5.8L Trinity picked up at Shelby's facilities (think 2014 was last year for that) …
He's beat Z's …

Originally Posted by ls1mike
I am not a Ford guy, but I like this car. I like how it looks and I like the amount of power it is putting out.

I'm not either … but I'm also not into another era of stuffing unrealistic HP into four doors …
Sports cars and pony cars only have two things in common … two doors and HP …

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by 4WD

As the owner of a 13 500, this post is a bit comical as you have confused Shelby America cars with GT500s. Same as Roush, Shelby America will modify a car for you...which doesn't mean it has very much of the engineering put into it that Ford SVT does to vehicles which are designed and built from the ground up...with factory warranties and all of the systems needed to support the demands of the designed power levels, including the nanny systems.

BLUF: Shelby doesn't mean anything anymore since Carroll Shelby died in 2013. The 13/14 GT500s were the last cars he had anything to do with.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Not the same car … his is the 5.8L Trinity picked up at Shelby's facilities (think 2014 was last year for that) …
He's beat Z's …

Yes...and no. 13 and 14 were the only years for the Trinity motors but they were not built at Shelby America, they were built on the niche line at the romeo plant.

Originally Posted by thastinger
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by 4WD

As the owner of a 13 500, this post is a bit comical as you have confused Shelby America cars with GT500s. Same as Roush, Shelby America will modify a car for you...which doesn't mean it has very much of the engineering put into it that Ford SVT does to vehicles which are designed and built from the ground up...with factory warranties and all of the systems needed to support the demands of the designed power levels, including the nanny systems.

BLUF: Shelby doesn't mean anything anymore since Carroll Shelby died in 2013. The 13/14 GT500s were the last cars he had anything to do with.

That's true, but the 662hp one was 3.5 seconds to 60. The BASE corvette with ZL1 package will be under 3. You think the new GT500 will crack 3? #DoubtIt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by thastinger
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by 4WD

That's true, but the 662hp one was 3.5 seconds to 60. The BASE corvette with ZL1 package will be under 3. You think the new GT500 will crack 3? #DoubtIt.

To be fair (and I am hardly a Ford fanboy), you are comparing a front engine car to a mid engine that has had a number of years to improve on it...

Originally Posted by Trav
True, once you put the engine in the middle its no longer a "muscle car" its either an exotic or an experiment.

What it IS is a $60k item that stomps a mud hole in a $80-100k item.

No, I don't think the new one will as it'll likely weigh 4200 lbs. I think it'll be the same as my 13.

Ford bet everything on the DCT, hope it doesn't bite em. Truth is that if the new one came with a manual, it would most likely be a little slower than the 13/14s were in a straight line if the speculated weights hold true, as it would be 300 lbs heavier and it is down 6 lbft of torque to the Trinity motors. The DCT should overcome the weight an tq, assuming they hold up. Of course the public doesn't have any data besides peak power numbers for the new one, which is another marketing blunder. I'm sure they will sell all of them, but this "golden ticket" willie wonka BS is embarrassing.

Originally Posted by RayCJ

Crazy insane amounts of power -and it's among the coolest embodiment of mechanical achievement that humans can muster-up. It's got everything a human being existing in this physical world can put into one place. All forms of mechanical motion, metallurgy, classical mechanics and physics, chemistry, fire, thermodynamics, electronics, manufacturing techniques... the whole enchilada! Cave man would be proud of us.

Now, if only we had more dedicated road courses to drive them on. I would love to get me a road rocket -until I think about how useless it would be on the street. It would stress me out to have all that power and not be able to use it (legally). ... Instead, I settle for a Mazda 3 with 187 HP that I can safely zing around in and pull off a few cheap thrills once in a while -and still average 35 MPG.

I think the closest road course to Maryland is Summit Point in W. Va. You can have a lot more fun on a road course than trying to bootleg a few cheap thrills on the street, among people who don't care a whit about driving and can't be bothered to look up from their text messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back