2021 Ford Mustang GT500, Mobile 1 Supercar 5w50, 6hrs track time plus some street miles.

Here is a UOA from my 2021 Ford Mustang GT500. This UOA consists of 3 track days, an auto cross, and some street miles. The track was Circuit of the Americas in Austin Texas, and the days consisted of about 2hrs each day. Total miles on this oil change, track or street, was around 1000. Total miles on car is about 5500 at time of change. This was the 3rd oil change on the car, first with this oil. Owners manual recommends changes every 4hrs of track, and I think that is reasonable.

I also submitted this sample to Blackstone, and I await their results. Enjoy.

AAA-5269 photo 1.jpg

The calcium and magnesium are in the 400s? I believe both of these start around 750 in virgin form.
I sent off a VOA of this oil before I used it to blackstone. I also sent a UOA to blackstone in addition to Speediagnostix. I'm curious to compare the results from Blackstone, to see if additive levels are closer to the VOA numbers.

Will you continue to used this oil or moved on to something different?
I had 24qts of this oil, it takes 12 per change, so I'm on my second batch now. I'll probably send off another UOA later this year, I still have a couple of track days left.
After that I'm going to use the Mobil 1 FSx2 5w50 to see if it can hold up as well to track use. If it can, I'll run that as its half the price.

Somewhat different additive amounts. Also, not too bad of results for a 5500 mile car with track use. It'll be interesting what BS says & how they compare. Thanks

I posted this in your other thread, but the speediagnostix UOA is a very "dilluted" version of the blackstone VOA. IT's like all the detergents and additives were turned down by 75% compared to the blackstone VOA. Speediagonstix usually reads higher detergents and additives than blackstone in ppm, so it is even more puzzling. Interested in the blackstone VOA when it arrives in a month or so. :D

Interested Lake Speed equates loss of viscocity with increased wear.

I am running Mobil 1 FS X2 5w50 in my GT3 RS now, and plan to swap it at ~750miles, then swap in Mobil 1 Supercar 5w50. In the other thread, comparing two, the one poster found the MSDS and shows the Supercar oil has better base oil stocks .

I can only speculate, but there is some additive depletion to be expected in a used oil sample. We will see when the Blackstone report gets here, probably in a couple weeks.

For track use, oil shearing is the biggest concern, and it is why Ford specs 4hrs of track time as their oil change threshold. They probably know the average 5w50 is going to shear x% with xhrs of track time, give or take. Without a VOA from speediagnstix to compare too, I'm only speculating on the amount of viscosity loss listed in this sample. I'll know more when the blackstone report gets here, but with this oil now almost being a 40wt, I think its spent. Held up pretty well considering it was being hammered away by 760hp at 7500rpm on a big fast race track.

I'll post back when the Blackstone report gets here.

Here are the Blackstone results for the same sample as above. These results are in line with the Speediagnostix results, except viscosity which is showing much lower on the Blackstone results (they always do). Considering the VOA of this same oil showed 1200ppm zinc, I can only surmise there has been a good bit of additive depletion based on the hard use.

Blackstone Clementine photo.jpg

Considering the VOA of this same oil showed 1200ppm zinc, I can only surmise there has been a good bit of additive depletion based on the hard use.
You also need to consider the oil that was in there before. If it's zinc level was much lower, then the ~15% carryover will lower the results on this sample.

There's some significant differences between the two UOAs at Calcium and Magnesium, with some smaller differences between Phosphorus, Zinc and Boron. Not to mention the viscosity, which you already called out. I'm inclined to believe the Calcium and Magnesium are more accurate on the Blackstone UOA.

The wear metals look similar between the two labs but those are substantially different results on viscosity and additives. Is either one ISO? The level of additive depletion indicated in the BS report seems hard to believe for a 1k mile run.

Quite amazing how much additives were diminished by use in 1000 miles, but viscocity held up, which is rare for Mobil 1 and Blackstone. I don't thin I've seen any oil analysis like this.

I guess the oil did it's job.. Maintained viscocity, and additivies did their job.

Back