stp air filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just wanted to know everyone thoughts on STP air filters. as far as i know they are made by champion labs. i was looking into purchasing stp air filters for a 98 gmc savana and a 98 chevy malibu. i know that they are about a dollar cheaper than fram. should i go with the stp air filter or should i go with ac delco air filters? BTW how much do ac delco air filters run?

Delcos are expensive and very hard to find other then a GM dealer

I just purchased an STP also and will install this weekend only because my Purolater cannot be found. Advance Auto has a invetory problem, too many Purolater filters have empty slots on the shelf. Anyway, the STP does not seem as well constructed, I miss the metal frame on the STP especially for such a long air filter as mine is. Filtering media seems good. Just not a sturdy looking as it bends if you hold it out whereas the metal frame of the Purolater keeps it straight. Probably no difference once installed.

I have taken to taping the air filter box with A/C foil tape to see if this will reduce my silicon count on oil analysis. Will see in several months if this has had an affect.

Spector, do you have Pep Boys in your area? Their Proline brand of air filters is made by Purolator, they are just put in different boxes.-Joe

I would use the AC and whatever OEM is on any other car. They have more media area than aftermarket replacements. ACs by me don't cost much more.

looked at an STP for my truck today. It appeared to have the same number of pleats and all around appeared to be the same filter as the AC Delco filter that came from the factory. If I'm not mistaken Champion Labs makes one of the versions of AC Delco oil filters, perhaps they make AC's air filters as well. Just a thought
P.S. the one that I looked at had a diamond pattern metal back frame just like my stock one.
Bub

[ February 19, 2003, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Bub ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back