ACDelco Standard duty vs Heavy Duty Air Filters

This thread is mainly about air filters found on the Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra, Chevrolet Suburban, and GMC Yukon.

There are two air filters listed which are standard and heavy duty. I purchased both and they look exactly the same except for a prefilter on the heavy duty version.

Standard duty is used on street/highway vehicles and heavy duty is for offroad where a prefilter is needed for typical off road conditions.

Why not use the heavy duty only? Its not needed for street driving. The heavy duty version is more restrictive with an added prefilter so less mpg and overall power.
20240128_090020.jpg
20240128_090016.jpg
20240128_090041.jpg
20240128_090036.jpg
20240128_090045.jpg

20240128_090030.jpg

My 2017 Regal GS 2.0T came with the heavy duty prefilter, swapped it out with a FRAM Ultra filter. ;)

Owned a bunch of GM V8’s that went off the pavement and never used one with the coarse filter over the real filter …
Great for moths & dragonflies maybe ?

I have the HD filter in my 5.3 Silverado 1500. I got 24mpg on the highway on a 50-mile trip.

I didn't know there was a standard version

Rebadged Fram?
Who is making air filters in Canada?

I'm asking because I'm going to need a new air filter in my GM car sometime soon and prefer one made in USA, but Canada will do as well.

All I've ever run in our GMT900 have been the A3085C high capacity ones.

No pre filters. Just a slightly beefier element. They all have black gaskets. Never had any issues with them, and no mileage drops.

Maybe the newer GM trucks now use different ones.

Interesting, a similar pre-filter felt material is found on "cold climate" specific filters for Euro applications. My understanding is it prevents the moisture from snow from damaging the paper filter element.

Rebadged Fram?
Who is making air filters in Canada?

I'm asking because I'm going to need a new air filter in my GM car sometime soon and prefer one made in USA, but Canada will do as well.

Well ... Mann also gaskets some of their air filters in orange.

And I would never turn my nose up at a Mann.

My logic was the additional material on the filter might negatively effect the gas mileage. I "get it" that some people use their trucks off-road or on construction sites where you need the extra protection this additional material provides. Objects like stones or tree branch pieces or lots of extra sand/dirt might get sucked up in there for example

Gas isnt cheap and these trucks get 16 mpg so Im ever mindful of what might effect it more.

The heavy duty version is more restrictive with an added prefilter so less mpg and overall power.
No, that same design has been used on the Duramax or 15 years. There is nothing wrong with this filter other than the price. I did not know there was one made without the prefilter. Use the one with the prefilter.

I am assuming you have a newer DI gas engine. I would use the prefilter type. You want the cleanest possible air on a DI engine especially, and this filter will give you just that. Use the factory filter, do not get any knid of "cold air" filter or nothing.

My logic was the additional material on the filter might negatively effect the gas mileage. I "get it" that some people use their trucks off-road or on construction sites where you need the extra protection this additional material provides. Objects like stones or tree branch pieces or lots of extra sand/dirt might get sucked up in there for example

Gas isnt cheap and these trucks get 16 mpg so Im ever mindful of what might effect it more.
The pre filter is just that, a pre filter. It’s meant to catch larger stuff lik leaves etc that might get sucked in and to protect the filter. Some guys use their wives pantyhose as a homemade pre-filler before the air filter.
Its perfectly fine.

Back