Stout 5w30 meeting SN+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wdn
Stout is the dumbest word on Bob. It means nothing having to do with motor oil. It is practically a shared delusion on here.

You're stout

Originally Posted by passgas55
pennzoil 5\30 European formula.

Yep, here we get
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 full synthetic. It's a GTL (PurePlus) based oil.
It's rated API SN-Plus, ACEA A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 / 226.5 and Renault RN 0700 / 0710.

Over in North America it should be called Pennzoil Platinum Euro something.

It carries the SN-Plus spec you require for your car and to protect from LSPI events. The Euro A3/B4 means the TBN is above 10 for long oil life and also the HTHS is above 3.5 cP which means it's thicker and more protective than a standard resource conserving GF-5 oil. The MB 229.5 spec means the Noack volatility is below 10% (Dexos is only 13% and API weaker again at 15%).

To me "stout" means higher TBN and higher HTHS than a typical GF-5 oil.

Originally Posted by Stewart Fan
My Wrangler with the 2.0 turbo specs a SN+ 5w30. I plan on towing with it frequently and am wondering if there are 5w30 oils out there that are known to be more stout than some others.

This:

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

For everything else Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5W-30 is the most stout oil: thickest base oil, lowest amount of VII, and very strong HTHS.

Originally Posted by ad244
Originally Posted by wdn
Stout is the dumbest word on Bob. It means nothing having to do with motor oil. It is practically a shared delusion on here.

You're stout

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by sloinker
Red Line or Ravenol would be my choice.

Where are you buying those two products?

TripleSe7en: AMAZON

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by sloinker
Red Line or Ravenol would be my choice.

Where are you buying those two products?

Blauparts typically has the best price on Ravenol.

I just bought 12 quarts of Red-Line 5W30 Euro from Jegs for $115 delivered, it was on sale with free shipping over $99. Ravenol from Blauparts when they have a sale. I've tried to capitalize on bargains off of ebay or Amazon but have had only disappointments. The latest being the wrong oil worth half as much From Triax lubricants. They refunded my money and I returned their oil but it makes me angry wasting my time and I wonder if it is purposeful. Hoping I may not notice. I haven't left feedback yet, still contemplating it. The others being smoking deals that turn out to be no deals at all, described as one thing and delivered another quantity wise. This has happened a couple times to me, I think it's mostly a scam and they are hoping peoples natural laziness and busy schedules will let them fulfill their selling fraud. I have left negative feedback for these sellers and they have screamed bloody murder. Too bad. Take a look at your own listing I say. Triax which delivered the wrong oil wanted me to keep it and take a partial refund, I had no vehicles which could use it so I returned it for a full refund and my valuable time and packing tape wasted. I'm thinking of giving them neutral feedback as they have 100% positive now. Yes, I'm that guy.

Sometimes going your own way is expensive.....why dont you just do what the majority does on here and get the approppriate (spec oil) oil ON SALE!

My stout oil in random order:

• 1-High HTHS
  • 2-Low Noack
  • 3-Good base oil
  • 5-High VI & Low VII. #3 may cover this.
  • 6-Good CCS/MRV. #3 may cover this.
  • 7-Good additives
  • 8-Seal friendly. This maybe given due to #9? idk
  • 9-Meets a tough spec. I prefer ACEA.
  • 10-I prefer moly but not a requirement
    smile.gif
  • 11-High TBN.

Good luck finding it ... lol

We don't use the word ‘stout' to describe liquids of any sort here in the UK, but from the dictionary definition I would assume a ‘stout' oil would have high HTHS and high levels of AW compounds.

Redline 30wt race fulfils these criteria very closely.

Based on the current thinking here, any oil that is labeled for truck or SUV use must be stout.

Look for those products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back