Conclusions on Ecoboost Engine Oil - Gas Turbo Direct Injection

I have tested a lot of different API SP oils from the Walmart shelf and came to the conclusion that any API SP oil will have excellent iron wear results. Much better iron wear results then what I saw in API SN and API SN+ oils. However, the constant issue seemed to be fuel dilution and how will that effect the detergents in the oil to prevent high mileage sludge.

So I have picked Quaker State Euro 5W40 API SP as the oil for my Ecoboost engine. Its 20% thicker than typical 5W30s and contains a lot more detergent than typical 5W30 oils. When I look at this oil I feel like its a heavier duty oil then your typical 5W30.

One thing I was reading on the Castrol website was that motor oil was never designed for gasoline as an additive to the oil. However, these Euro style oils are designed for the turbo engines which have been used for a long time in Europe. So while your typical Pennzoil or Mobil 1 5W30 was not designed for gasoline as an additive this Euro oil was actually designed with fuel dilution (gas in the oil) in mind.
quakerstateeuro.jpg

quakerstateeurouoa.jpg

Not questioning your choice, but TGDI engines are awfully common in the US and every SN+/SP oil has been reformulated to mitigated LSPI, a TGDI issue. So I don’t buy the notion that fuel dilution wasn’t considered as part of the reformulation. And I doubt any engine oil is happy with gasoline as an additive: the only solution seems to be increased viscosity.

The flashpoint implies that there's very little fuel in the oil, but it would be unusual for an oil to shear thin that much over 3,000 miles, so I don't really trust the measurement here.

Fuel in the oil can help create sludge precursors, but with this short OCI, any API SP oil would be fine for sludge prevention unless the car experience extreme short-tripping. Euro oils that meet MB 229.x, like this Castrol oil, should be very good at preventing sludge, but API SP oils that meet Dexos1 Gen3 are also very good at sludge prevention.

So while your typical Pennzoil or Mobil 1 5W30 was not designed for gasoline as an additive this Euro oil was actually designed with fuel dilution (gas in the oil) in mind.
Where exactly does this claim come from? The only engine tests I'm aware of in any oil standards that directly relate to fuel dilution are in the MB standards, but they're related to biodiesel.

I say that because I tested out every API SP rated oil on the Walmart shelf and most diluted into a 5W20. I even installed a catch-can it was so bad. So the answer is thicker oil and more additives to counter the dilution.

Did they figure in fuel dilution? If they did it didnt seem like it with the way these oils dilute into a 5W20. The Euro 5W40 was a 5W30 when it started and ended at 3000 mile.interval.

I say that because I tested out every API SP rated oil on the Walmart shelf and most diluted into a 5W20. I even installed a catch-can it was so bad. So the answer is thicker oil and more additives to counter the dilution.

Did they figure in fuel dilution? If they did it didnt seem like it with the way these oils dilute into a 5W20. The Euro 5W40 was a 5W30 when it started and ended at 3000 mile.interval.
As you know, Blackstone doesn't properly measure fuel via GC, it's inferred from flashpoint. That said, I agree with @twX here that, assuming Blackstone's FP measurements are accurate, this oil sheared like crazy.

Lakespeed Jr has said that they have found SP oils to have much improved wear performance than SN+. Few things come to mind on your UOA - large viscosity spread, not the highest quality VII.

This could be an example where spending more for a higher quality oil using a better VI, or no VII, could be worth it.

Is that just based on UOA results or actual wear measurements?
Good question. I'll have to check that video out. I think he works at a piston manufacturer (Toal Seal Piston Rings) and has access to engine testing. @RDY4WAR may know.

If I remember correctly, he emphasized the changing AW/detergent balance. Wear protection went up, but I think the issue is cleanliness. Especially with so many GDI engines and fuel. Terrible for rings.

The auto manufacturer knew that fuel would be present in the oil, torture tested the engine with fuel in the oil, and recommended 5W-30 based on that data. If the engine didn't have much fuel dilution, they may have specified a xW-20 instead. Just because an oil goes down a grade due to dilution doesn't necessarily mean you have to compensate with a thicker grade.

There are so many videos about head gasket/coolant in oil on YT, oil fuel dilution is the last of people's worries with eco-boost engines.

Is that just based on UOA results or actual wear measurements?

Live engine dyno testing and teardowns as well as simulated ring on liner testing with UOAs for substance. However, it's worth noting that "much improved" doesn't mean it's great, just that it improved. The add pack still has a lot of compromises in it, and top treatment still moves the needle more than a change of base add packs. The big difference with SP, that makes it much improved to a blender or formulator, is how well it responds to top treatment.

Live engine dyno testing and teardowns as well as simulated ring on liner testing with UOAs for substance. However, it's worth noting that "much improved" doesn't mean it's great, just that it improved. The add pack still has a lot of compromises in it, and top treatment still moves the needle more than a change of base add packs. The big difference with SP, that makes it much improved to a blender or formulator, is how well it responds to top treatment.
(y)

Thank you, so we are just talking generics here then I assume? Commodity additive packages?

Aside from some sort of mechanical repair the only way you’re really going to combat fuel dilution is with grade.
Some have reported less dilution on higher octane as well.

Last winter our Toyota got some pretty bad dilution due to the abnormally cold winter for Texas and short tripping. Stopped once the temp warmed back up. I am going with PP 0W20 here soon as it is starting to get colder and if it happens again I might try 93 octane 🤷‍♂️

It seems GDI’s are the worst offenders for fuel dilution? This is specifically why I will not go to a 10k OCI in my DI Toyota 2GR-FKS engine. That engine can cost upwards of 15-20,000 dollars to replace, and used they command stupid money with big miles on them. I’m not very fond of the FKS version of the 2GR motor (which is a great engine in ‘FE’ trim, just as good as the 1GR).
one of our rentals at the shop is a Honda CRV 1.5 turbo GDI. When the rentals come back and I do a check on them it seems the Honda‘s oil level increases in the winter vs summer. I drop the OCI to 6000 miles in winter.

Back