Kirkland 5W30 for 2012 Honda Fit with 175k miles

I don’t drive my cars much anymore with working from home and parts of the year we’re busy with work even on weekend. But I notice that I enjoy driving this vehicle even more now and given it a little extra acceleration more than usual. It is an automatic and had been living on M1 0W20 the first 8-10 years and now on Kirkland 0W20.

I keep reading how the same vehicles would be spec’ed for 5W30, 5W40, and 0W40 in Europe but 0W20 in and maybe 5W30 in the US. I don’t see how a 1.5 l or 2.0 Honda lower trims built differently than the SI and Type R. It is the turbo and maybe programming and the higher viscosity oil is for potential spirited driving condition.

So what would I stand to lose beside some fuel economy by switching to 5W30 in warmer months where I drive much more and the vehicle would be driven in higher speed, with heavy loads (A/C and 3 or 4 people and trunk full of stuffs) and much longer distance?

The way I see it, I got my money worth out of the car. I recall paying under $19k out the door for this Sport Fit and in the 12 years and 175k only had to do two repairs; A/C leak (under $300 done at shop) and fan motor replacement ($150 done by home mechanic). Everything else was regular maintenance. So this may be the perfect vehicle to joy ride but use the best oil within reasonable cost and and very enjoy it. It may not be a Porsche but it has a gas pedal, new brakes, and a brand new set of Michelin Defender so I am going to start driving it faster while deciding what other vehicle to buy.

Last edited:
Ok, this doesnt sound like you have an actual question, thanks for sharing.

I doubt 5w30 would hurt anything. With that said my mom is the original owner of her 2011 Fit Sport. It has about 110k on it now, and I've run 5w20 in it since it was new. Just did a valve adjustment at 100k and everything looked spotless inside, and it still gets 33mpg around town with her heavy foot. Unless it was leaking or burning a ton of oil I would stick with a 5w20. Those N/A Honda engines tend to be pretty easy on oil, so the only real thing you would be changing is getting slightly less mpg.

I change our Elantra GT back and forth from 20wt to 30wt seasonally and depending on what oil I have on hand. Same with my Mustang. Both list 5w20 and 5w30 in the owner's manual as options.

I can't say I notice a big difference. Litte peppier with 20 little quieter with 30. But very little in both cases. Fuel economy difference is so small to go unnoticed. Try it and see what you think.

The engines are the same from '09 > '13 ( U.S. ) or '09 > '14 for Canada . These are from owner manuals available at HONDA site under OWNERS .

2009 + 2010

IMG_2974.JPG

2011 > '14

IMG_2983.JPG

Last edited:
Mazda specified 5W-20 for my 2007 Mazda 6 in Canada, USA and Mexico and stated that,

"A chief contribution this type of oil makes to fuel economy.."

The manual also says,

"If SAE 5W-20 engine oil is not available in your market. Use SAE 5W-30 engine oil."

In Finland, a country with a climate very similar to Canada, Mazda specifies that 5W-30 be used in the same engine, in the same car.

I can't imagine the oil requirements of the Honda Fit engine are much different.

Mazda 6 oil.jpg

Back