5W30 In ‘20 Corolla 1.8L ?

The ‘20 Corolla 1.8L non-turbo owners manual states to use 0W 20 oil with no other oil weight options listed . Are there any special engine requirements (VVT , etc.) for the ‘20 Corolla 1.8L that would prevent a 5W30 synthetic oil being used ?

Perhaps he’ll post the portion of his owner’s manual or warranty booklet that states the oil grade is connected to his new car warranty.

States right in the owners manual, 0w20 or 5w20. Not 5w30.

oil.jpg

can/would the manufacteuer even check the weight? I asked Honda dealer service manager and they said no. Is this all an internet old wives tale? Just saying...
If there was an internal engine related problem, they will ask for oil change records at the minimum. If it shows you didn't use the recommended oil and they want to be hard nosed about it, I can see them denying warranty coverage.

If there was an internal engine related problem, they will ask for oil change records at the minimum. If it shows you didn't use the recommended oil and they want to be hard nosed about it, I can see them denying warranty coverage.
ok- thru records

15W40 if you want. You will take a small mpg hit by not following the "reccomended" viscosity. I filled up for $1.85 after chevron discount recently. Thinking about putting my V8's on cinderblocks again and choking earth for fun.

The manual states 0w20 is the "best choice" not the ONLY choice. Big difference.
The attachment states that 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather. If cold weather is not an issue, and fuel economy is not a priority, then might not other grades be acceptable. 0W-30 and 0W-40 would also provide good starting in cold weather.

The attachment states that 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather. If cold weather is not an issue, and fuel economy is not a priority, then might not other grades be acceptable. 0W-30 and 0W-40 would also provide good starting in cold weather.
Arguably a 0w30 would also meet the definition. It just depends on what you're comparing it to. (ex, 30 grade vs 40 grade)

Except that nowhere is it related to warranty. The endless fear mongering about this is getting beyond ridiculous.

On the other hand it is a perfect example of what the CAFE required wording is supposed to accomplish.
I would disagree on the sole basis that he could be using some bargin dollar store BS 5w30 which will in fact harm the engine over time. A 0w20 on that basis alone is a better quality oil.

Let's be real though the fear mongering goes both ways.

"xW20 will ruin your engine slowly, it's too thin, it's only for CAFE."

"Using a non-approved oil will ruin your engine and cause warranty issues, it was designed this way, don't mess with OEM requirements."

At the end of the day, it's probably a wash which nothing but conjecture either way. Just like everyone's opinion on interior or exterior looks.

I have 5W-30 in a 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail even though the manual specifies 0W-20. My 2023 4Runner will have 0W-20 genuine Toyota motor oil during the warranty period and then switch over to 5W-30. The way I see it, 0W-20 is at the very bottom end of the allowable worldwide viscosity range and both vehicles are subject to short trip city driving which qualifies as severe service. I'd rather have the extra margin of protection that a high quality 5W-30 offers for the summer heat in Phoenix. I change oil every 5000 miles instead of the recommended 10,000.

I would disagree on the sole basis that he could be using some bargin dollar store BS 5w30 which will in fact harm the engine over time. A 0w20 on that basis alone is a better quality oil.

Let's be real though the fear mongering goes both ways.

"xW20 will ruin your engine slowly, it's too thin, it's only for CAFE."

"Using a non-approved oil will ruin your engine and cause warranty issues, it was designed this way, don't mess with OEM requirements."

At the end of the day, it's probably a wash which nothing but conjecture either way. Just like everyone's opinion on interior or exterior looks.
There's the third way that 0w20 is fine as well although fuel economy is the inherent advantage to using it.

Back