Sourcing Cheaper Generac Oil Filters

have a Generac RG027 Generator, its a 2.4L Mitsubishi engine at 1800RPM, and the oil filter for this genset is model 0A45310244

They cost $25. I like to keep a stock of them incase we have a long outage, since the service interval is 1 Year or 125 hours

Is there any reason I shouldn't look for Mitsubishi oil filters, which are less than half the price? For example the MZ690116 I think should be compatible, but costs just $8

I believe its a Mitsubishi 4G64 engine

Here is an image if the Generac Filters

1693861177496.jpg

And here is the Mutshibushi Filter. Its hard to say but it looks like it could be slightly shorter

1693861190057.jpg

The filter that came on it from the factory was actually a Mitsubish SMD360935, which is much thinner and made in China. It was only on there for 20 hours though before it got swapped for the break-in change

1693861204064.jpg

How about the K&N Filters? more expensive than the Mitsubishi, but still less than half the price of the Generac Filters

1693861214985.jpg

How about the K&N Filters? more expensive than the Mitsubishi, but still less than half the price of the Generac Filters

View attachment 176902

That K&N is a total waste IMO.. It's a Champ filter fwir , and identical to the Supertech MP long life which is around $6.

If you want the convenience of picking up at Walmart then I believe any of the Fram 7317 filters will fit your 2.4 .. so Tough Guard is around $7 and Endurance is the most durable long lasting with metal screen backing for $13. . Supertech MP7317 $6.

Thanks guys! That will save me some money and hassle for sure.

It looks like the Fram Endurance might be exclusive to Walmart which I don't go to often. Would the Fram Ultra bit the bill also?

Thanks, I'll pick some up!

Will be nice to be able to run down to the store and grab some in the event the powers off for an extended period.

How many hours do you guys think I could get away with on the filter if it was constant running?

With a Fram Ultra or Endurance You could leave the filter on for 5 years with little worry. With it being enclosed generator you have little issue with rust on the can.

That must be one smooth generator considering it’s a balance shaft motor…related to the 4G63T I had in an Eclipse.

I am sure the advice above is sound, I used automotive filters on my 10kw portable Generac for many years with no issues.

That must be one smooth generator considering it’s a balance shaft motor…related to the 4G63T I had in an Eclipse.

I am sure the advice above is sound, I used automotive filters on my 10kw portable Generac for many years with no issues.

Is it, its great!

Looks like the 7317 filters are slightly thinner than the Generac ones. Is that a concern in any way?

That 4G64 is a great motor. Ford uses it for their Transits in China. It’s been around for a long time.

From the cross reference I could find any of the standard Honda filter would fit - Fram x7317, or Bosch 3323 (my cost/quality favorite).

Looks K&N is busted. Champ also makes a different design, as shown on the Supertech box. It’s the one with the extra plate with rounds holes. I guess Supertech can’t be bothered to have the box matching the actual filter.

I've owned a Generac 16 kw standby unit for 17 years. Generac oil filters are nothing special and are grossly overpriced. If it was mine, I'd make regular use of the Fram PH7317 (vehicle rated for 10,000 miles) for annual oil changes and not lose a bit of sleep. The 7317 series is a direct cross reference (to your Generac number) on the Fram web site.

Back