2021 Generac RG027 Generator - 24 Hour Break in Oil Change - 5W30

Yeah, its more than my F150. No gears plus that torque is unbeatable

Even on the freeway at 80, it pulls at an instant

We are so happy with it, more than we thought we would be

Do generators really need to be exercised that often? Different kettle of fish, but my Honda EU2200i sees 30 minutes twice a year with an oil change.

Do generators really need to be exercised that often? Different kettle of fish, but my Honda EU2200i sees 30 minutes twice a year with an oil change.

Could probably be done less with no problems, but I like it coming on once a week just so I know there is no problems

I would definitely not use 5W20 in Texas.

I don’t see any benefit over a 5W30 in a water cooled generator, in the south. If you lived in Michigan, 5W20 would be a good choice.

If it has an effective oil cooler, I’m sure the 5W20 would be fine.

Sorry for reviving this thread.

@NormanBuntz I also had the milky oil situation on my Generac (38KW with the same engine). Previous owners put it in and for 2 years I monitored the water in the oil. I determined it was the crankcase vent that is open to the atmosphere as it connected to the intake system right under the air filter and allows condensation to enter the engine.

I made a bracket to hold a desiccant breather filter and disconnected the crankcase vent from the intake. I did this 3 years ago and have not had any more water in my oil since.

I used this filter (https://www.descase.com/products/desiccant-breathers/extended-series/) as it has check valves and limits atmospheric absorption in the high humidity of Houston.

As far as oil goes, I run Rotella T6 multivehicle 5w-30. It comes out the same color as it goes in for it's yearly oil changes. 232 hrs on my unit as of today, also changed oil today, and the unit is 7-1/2 years old.

IMG_4214.jpg

@96stroke: I like your new setup, but we do have different motors. Mine is a GT990 made by Generac, not Mitsubishi. Maybe the concept applies to both motors. I do know that my open vent faces the Albemarle Sound only 90 feet away, and the wind often blows in with moisture along with it.

Their both have around the same viscosity when cold. Is this gen. liquid cooled? either one should work. I'm a thicky overall so I'd go with the 5w-30.
This was just me, and it’s obviously up to you, but while chatting with @High Performance Lubricants he recommended their CK-4 5w40 Cold Climate which has PAO and extra additives for additional protection. I know people think HPL is “salty” and there are certainly other viable oils, but this one covers really cold to really hot weather with room to spare. Since you’re only talking 2 quarts every year or so, it’s not a huge financial impact for peace of mind.

@96stroke: I like your new setup, but we do have different motors. Mine is a GT990 made by Generac, not Mitsubishi. Maybe the concept applies to both motors. I do know that my open vent faces the Albemarle Sound only 90 feet away, and the wind often blows in with moisture along with it.
I guess it was OP @SupremePossum that has the same engine.

Either way, this breather setup would probably resolve your issue. These things are too expensive to have any moisture in the system.

Last edited:
Thats interesting you end up with milky oil, being in Houston too, no milk!

Could the fact its turbocharged make any differene? I have no idea how or why it would

Thats interesting you end up with milky oil, being in Houston too, no milk!

Could the fact its turbocharged make any differene? I have no idea how or why it would
Who knows. I removed my vent pipe from the grommet one day and probably 1/8 oz of water was trapped in the brass fitting. The next weekend the new breather was on.

may want to consider a engine oil that is specific to the application,as a low ash etc,,Amsoil makes a synthetic stationary natural gas engine oil,,its 20wt-40?,,looks to be made for this type of use,other brands of 5w-40 synthetic oils mention natural gas use,,,check with Pablo on this site,as he maybe in tune with this particular engine oil..:)

Totally sweet setup. Make me wish I had stretched a bit further.

Had I not had to cover so many gigantic bills all at the same time I would have swung something like this instead of the 3600 rpm air cooled 20 KW Kohler. To be fair it's been a very reliable and workable piece of kit thats already saved me tons of headache, but it isn't sweet like this is.

I do worry about complexity, but but get over that to have something this cool.

Totally sweet setup. Make me wish I had stretched a bit further.

Had I not had to cover so many gigantic bills all at the same time I would have swung something like this instead of the 3600 rpm air cooled 20 KW Kohler. To be fair it's been a very reliable and workable piece of kit thats already saved me tons of headache, but it isn't sweet like this is.

I do worry about complexity, but but get over that to have something this cool.

Well, Generac now don't sell an 1800RPM Liquid cooled unit like this anymore! The new replacement is 3600RPM liquid cooled

What you have now is probably best, its known good. You could replace it with a new generator only for it to be a lemon

Last edited:
This was just me, and it’s obviously up to you, but while chatting with @High Performance Lubricants he recommended their CK-4 5w40 Cold Climate which has PAO and extra additives for additional protection. I know people think HPL is “salty” and there are certainly other viable oils, but this one covers really cold to really hot weather with room to spare. Since you’re only talking 2 quarts every year or so, it’s not a huge financial impact for peace of mind.
This is what's going in my 18kW Generac when due in a couple months(as well as my '66 Bronco this fall)

Back