CHAMP / LUBER-FINER PH2840 Spin-On Oil Filter?

Hi

Anyone have experience with CHAMP / LUBER-FINER oil filters?

I am looking to get a coupl eof filters for my moms 2018 Corolla, she just drives it a few miles a week to the store and church, and maybe once a month takes in on the freeway.

I am looking at Rock Auto and see the CHAMP / LUBER-FINER PH2840 Spin-On Oil Filter for $1.87.

Ideas?

If not this filter what is a decent low cost option?

A little better filtering. Whip City Wrencher on Youtube did a cut open, he can describe it better then I ever can.

Both models are ISO rated at 99% @ 30 microns. It's on the box on both models - video shows both box statements. Only real difference seems to be the silicone vs nitrile ADBV.

Rock Auto shipping cost will negate any savings if you are only buying a few filters, but is acceptable if you are already buying other stuff.

IMO the Supertech ST4967 is about the best deal around at $3.xx. This filter is identical to the ACDelco PF1233, and I used it in my Matrix for a number of years. I vote for the ST model unless you plan to do extended OCI, in which case the MP version may be a better choice for about $2 more. Fram PH4967 is also a solid performer at $4.xx from Walmart, and has silicone ADBV.

Rock Auto shipping cost will negate any savings if you are only buying a few filters, but is acceptable if you are already buying other stuff.

IMO the Supertech ST4967 is about the best deal around at $3.xx. This filter is identical to the ACDelco PF1233, and I used it in my Matrix for a number of years. I vote for the ST model unless you plan to do extended OCI, in which case the MP version may be a better choice for about $2 more. Fram PH4967 is also a solid performer at $4.xx from Walmart, and has silicone ADBV.
Excellent recommendation Ryan. The SuperTechs (White Can) are ranked 4th in my database for performance for the dollar. They're a great value (using WalMarts brand name :)) at $3.84. ACDelcos are ranked 11th.

Fram PH4967 is also a solid performer at $4.xx from Walmart, and has silicone ADBV.

Caveat emptor since some Frams are made by Champ Labs now (same nitrile ADBV, blue bypass valve, e-core, etc). You may end up paying more for the same filter as Supertech.

I've only checked PH7317 and PH4967 but they were all Champ Labs style filters in my local Walmarts.

Caveat emptor since some Frams are made by Champ Labs now (same nitrile ADBV, blue bypass valve, e-core, etc). You may end up paying more for the same filter as Supertech.

I've only checked PH7317 and PH4967 but they were all Champ Labs style filters in my local Walmarts.

When did Fram move to nitrile ADBV? All but one of my PH7317 and PH4967 are orange silicone (the exception is purple, which is presumably all that was available during the COVID era).

Last edited:
When did Fram move to nitrile ADBV? All but one of my PH7317 and PH4967 are orange silicone (the exception is purple, whichvis presumably all that was available during the COVID era).
Think it was a temporary on/off thing during supply chain shortages caused by you know what.

I have used lots of Champ filters, no problem. With all that short tripping your mom does, they won't see high miles.

I would change both the filter and the oil every 3 or 4k miles or once a year, whichever comes first as her driving patterns are hard on oil.

Back