So who stops getting paid if/when the gov shuts down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Houston, we've found the problem!
No, you didn't. Capitalism is impossible without government. A guy by the name Adam SMith argued that. Check it out.
Now, you can have this wishful thinking about how government is a problem, and you can do everything by yourself, but on this plant, that does not work that way.

It does not work that way. Many people who work there have lived there all their life. I work with a lot of federal employees on a daily basis here in Colorado Springs, and they could get a much better job in the private sector, but they like being public servants.

That isn't true of Northern VA (suburbs of DC) Practically everyone that works for the FedGov around here moved here for that job.

It's an extremely transient area.

It does not work that way. Many people who work there have lived there all their life. I work with a lot of federal employees on a daily basis here in Colorado Springs, and they could get a much better job in the private sector, but they like being public servants.
Same in dc. I know a lot of folks who grew up in Arlington or other local areas. Similarly, look how many UVA and VT grads you see locally.

The basis of this discussion was people working paycheck to paycheck, and the issues with who is getting paid if there is an actual shutdown. Real estate is another good topic though…

Same in dc. I know a lot of folks who grew up in Arlington or other local areas. Similarly, look how many UVA and VT grads you see locally.

The basis of this discussion was people working paycheck to paycheck, and the issues with who is getting paid if there is an actual shutdown. Real estate is another good topic though…
But, if they do not get paid it is a huge issue. Actually, it is regardless of where you live. People assume that only folks in DC will be affected.

No, you didn't. Capitalism is impossible without government. A guy by the name Adam SMith argued that. Check it out.
Now, you can have this wishful thinking about how government is a problem, and you can do everything by yourself, but on this plant, that does not work that way.
That's a false dichotomy.

It's not a binary thing and I never once said NO government in my 65 years on this earth.

But some people just absolutely fail to see how much money our government wastes and gives away. It needs to stop. It's one of the main causes of inflation we are now seeing.

That isn't true of Northern VA (suburbs of DC) Practically everyone that works for the FedGov around here moved here for that job.

It's an extremely transient area.
Almost, perhaps, etc. are assumptions. There is no doubt that it is an extremely transient area. However, besides the fact that numerous people who grew up there work for the federal government (from janitors to whatever), they also support numerous local businesses.

If bureaucrats in Washington don't get paid during a shutdown, who cares? :LOL:
actually it was reported on the news that at least the ELECTED bureaucrats will continue to receive their pay.

and as for the initial question of this thread, the last time this happened, My Buddy's little brother was Active Duty Army, but home for Christmas.. I asked him about missing a check or two, how it would affect him, etc.. (it was definately at christmas, but maybe it was after the last shutdown... time gets wibbly wobbly in the head.)
"oh, no.... Navy Federal (the CU) Covers us during a shutdown...we still get paid..."

That's a false dichotomy.

It's not a binary thing and I never once said NO government in my 65 years on this earth.

But some people just absolutely fail to see how much money our government wastes and gives away. It needs to stop. It's one of the main causes of inflation we are now seeing.
What is a waste for you might not be for someone else, and vice versa. That is why we have a representative government and not a direct democracy.

Almost, perhaps, etc. are assumptions. There is no doubt that it is an extremely transient area. However, besides the fact that numerous people who grew up there work for the federal government (from janitors to whatever), they also support numerous local businesses.

They'll get all their back pay when this is is over and done with, and, as I alluded to, they have the ultimate in job security.

The Federal contractors are the ones that will get screwed with this. They won't get any back pay unless the company they work for absorbs that cost. Not to mention, there's little job security when you're a Federal contractor.

They'll get all their back pay when this is is over and done with, and, as I alluded to, they have the ultimate in job security.

The Federal contractors are the ones that will get screwed with this. They won't get any back pay unless the company they work for absorbs that cost. Not to mention, there's little job security when you're a Federal contractor.
All the contractors I see get paid and keep working. They’re trying to seek out who will be furloughed or not so they can keep doing their jobs.

All the contractors I see get paid and keep working. They’re trying to seek out who will be furloughed or not so they can keep doing their jobs.

It all depends on whether the work those contractors do is considered "mission critical". This per an email I got earlier this week.

It is not only federal contractors. People spend money every day in grocery stores, dealerships, hair-cutting places, etc, etc, etc. They won't get back pay. People won't go and cut their hair twice after they get back pay. The issue is far more complicated than just federal employees not getting paid.

It is not only federal contractors. People spend money every day in grocery stores, dealerships, hair-cutting places, etc, etc, etc. They won't get back pay. People won't go and cut their hair twice after they get back pay. The issue is far more complicated than just federal employees not getting paid.

I've lived in the DC area now for close to 35 years, and the ONLY practical difference a FedGov shutdown has ever made to me is that my commute on I66 was much easier when they were closed.

This is not new, this has happened before, and every single time all the gloom and doom failed to materialize.

I've lived in the DC area now for close to 35 years, and the ONLY practical difference a FedGov shutdown has ever made to me is that my commute on I66 was much easier when they were closed.

This is not new, this has happened before, and every single time all the gloom and doom failed to materialize.
So, what does it have to happen for you to consider a problem? Unless someone dies from hunger, it is not an issue?
Looking outside of your own universe won't hurt.

So, what does it have to happen for you to consider a problem? Unless someone dies from hunger, it is not an issue?

Why don't you tell us about all the bad things that happened the last time the government shut down? And the time before that? And the time before that one, going all the way back to 1996?

No, that outlook is very common. Folks who have lived this before and are there just to work, tend to realize after a few of these that the world goes on, they’ll probably get paid anyway, and to move on with life.

Quite a few end up with a backlog of work when they get back to it, which then adds to the inefficiencies and slowdowns. Being used as a pawn doesn’t help morale.

Why don't you tell us about all the bad things that happened the last time the government shut down? And the time before that? And the time before that one, going all the way back to 1996?
You can easily find on google how much the economy contracted. Same as I found article above, which you obviously did not open. Bcs. who needs facts.

57% of Americans have less than $1000 in savings. Not sure how that overlaps with government employees however guessing it’s more than 21% who’d be in trouble without a week of pay…..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back