So who stops getting paid if/when the gov shuts down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not trying to illicit political posts, so please don't post any. Since all of my pension income comes from the federal gov, it would be nice to know whether or not my pensions will stop. I get a military pension, civil service pension, VA disability, and SS. Will any, or all of these stop?

Did it stop last time?

I have not looked it up specifically, however, I did hear in one of my news podcasts is that most of that is funded in advance so that stuff isn't affected. Government workers won't get paid, however, they are backpaid after it's resolved.

Generally, non-essential personnel get sent home without pay.
However, when the dust ultimately clears and a budget is passed, they get the back-pay, to be made whole.

I have a friend who recently retired from civilian service for the Navy (JSF program engineer). He's gone thru this twice in his career IIRC. He has said it's like getting a week or two unplanned, delayed-pay vacation. Admittedly, money was not tight for he and his wife, so they could endure the temporary loss of pay. Others may not be so fortunate in the short term. But in the long term, it's not a big deal according to him.

The other question is what effect it has on citizens waiting for civil services. Some things will be exempt and continue to function. Other things will grind immediately to a stop and then pick back up when the budget passes. So there will be federal services that get interrupted and cause issues for us common folk.

I know federal employees don't get paid during the shutdown because I was still working during the last one. I'm just wondering if those of us who are retired and drawing all of our income from the gov will also stop being paid...

I know federal employees don't get paid during the shutdown
Holistically inaccurate. Some (if not most) Federal employees MAY have their pay delayed during a government shutdown. But these employees will be made whole. They will get paid, but not allowed to come to work.

So they real question is- why are federal government employees paid when not performing their duties. This is actually against federal law. The government is not allowed to pay more or less than what it owes, by statue.

My sister who works for the National Parks Service doesn't get paid during a shutdown. She will get help from family if she needs it. Call your representatives.

I am a govt contractor and work in the govt's house. On our program, we are deemed essential. We worked and got paid during the last, short govt shutdown. I expect the same this go around, but traffic in town should be a little lighter during the shutdown.

I am a govt contractor and work in the govt's house. On our program, we are deemed essential. We worked and got paid during the last, short govt shutdown. I expect the same this go around, but traffic in town should be a little lighter during the shutdown.
We were also considered essential, so we also worked during the last shutdown, but we didn't get paid until the shutdown was over. We were then back paid...

We have San Francisco Fleet Week starting next week, but it’s unclear whether that goes on. The last time it was cancelled was in 2013 with a similar shutdown. But the Blue Angels had already cancelled their 2013 season because of budget sequestration.

In any case, the port of call will be on and I’d expect lots of sailors to be all over San Francisco. On their best behavior of course.

I'm not trying to illicit political posts, so please don't post any. Since all of my pension income comes from the federal gov, it would be nice to know whether or not my pensions will stop. I get a military pension, civil service pension, VA disability, and SS. Will any, or all of these stop?
No. It will not stop.

interesting question.

I would think these are on automated systems, but if there's no money in the budget to pay the bills, the checks would "bounce"?

However, it's not wise to tick off a large portion of the population (SS recipients, veterans, etc) as most do vote and have long memories.

Student loan payment start 1 October. If the government is shut down do those debtors still have to make that payment? Who will be there to receive the money?

During the last long shutdown our work site was closed. There were military, government employees and contractors employed there. As a government contractor we were offered the option of using our very limited PTO or not getting paid. All military and government employees got the time off with full pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back