So who stops getting paid if/when the gov shuts down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some don’t work, some do. Some are on mission critical status, and/or are paid with prior appropriations, others aren’t.

Once a CR is passed, existing programs get 75% of last years appropriations…

Generally, non-essential personnel get sent home without pay.
However, when the dust ultimately clears and a budget is passed, they get the back-pay, to be made whole.

I have a friend who recently retired from civilian service for the Navy (JSF program engineer). He's gone thru this twice in his career IIRC. He has said it's like getting a week or two unplanned, delayed-pay vacation. Admittedly, money was not tight for he and his wife, so they could endure the temporary loss of pay. Others may not be so fortunate in the short term. But in the long term, it's not a big deal according to him.

The other question is what effect it has on citizens waiting for civil services. Some things will be exempt and continue to function. Other things will grind immediately to a stop and then pick back up when the budget passes. So there will be federal services that get interrupted and cause issues for us common folk.
No budjets, continuing resolutions. They all get made whole.

If bureaucrats in Washington don't get paid during a shutdown, who cares? :LOL:

21% of them responded to a survey saying that they couldn't go one paycheck without pay. Presumably they are living paycheck-to-paycheck.

1696012899938.jpg

I'm not trying to illicit political posts, so please don't post any. Since all of my pension income comes from the federal gov, it would be nice to know whether or not my pensions will stop. I get a military pension, civil service pension, VA disability, and SS. Will any, or all of these stop?
VA disability will still be paid.

21% of them responded to a survey saying that they couldn't go one paycheck without pay. Presumably they are living paycheck-to-paycheck.

View attachment 181032
Washington is an excessively expensive place to live if you are a low GS type “bureaucrat”. I believe that.

Dubious it’s that different from the rest of the population if you blindly polled.

Washington is an excessively expensive place to live if you are a low GS type “bureaucrat”. I believe that.

Dubious it’s that different from the rest of the population if you blindly polled.
It is ridiculously expensive and not a place that can boast some quality of life. The proliferation of government after 9/11 made DC area "explode" and prices in such a situation cannot be controlled.

my oldest works for the FAA in DC.
she lives near Annapolis. rides the Metro to work.
neither area gets much house for the money.

It is ridiculously expensive and not a place that can boast some quality of life. The proliferation of government after 9/11 made DC area "explode" and prices in such a situation cannot be controlled.
Perhaps that’s a reason. Reality is that in the nice places, you see a lot of lawyers and professionals that aren’t govt. Look at what they did at the Navy Yard/Yards/Ballpark area.

Perhaps that’s a reason. Reality is that in the nice places, you see a lot of lawyers and professionals that aren’t govt. Look at what they did at the Navy Yard/Yards/Ballpark area.
I know, it is lobbying heaven. Boeing moved there for that reason. Being closer to the policy-making center.

Sacrifices have to be made when one wants the ultimate in job security.
It does not work that way. Many people who work there have lived there all their life. I work with a lot of federal employees on a daily basis here in Colorado Springs, and they could get a much better job in the private sector, but they like being public servants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back