So I put a Wix oil filter 51334 on my 2018 tucson base model 2.0L and immediately the check engine light came on.

I put a 51334 Wix oil filter on my 2018 Tucson base model 2.0L
And immediately the check engine light came on. I used the right oil and right amount the only thing different was the Wix filter. I removed it and put on an oem filter and light went out. Has anyone come across this. Do Hyundai not like other filters. I feel it something to do with oil pressure

I didn’t scan it I just put the oem on and light went out. I’ll try it again next oil change cause I have a case of them. The kid at the parts counter at the dealership said he’s seen it before.

Just building pressure after the oil change?
Two days it didn’t go off so I thought the only thing I did different this time was the Wix. Put the oem in and light went out. Maybe it was a faulty filter . I called the co. And they confirmed the part number

I would chase this down (in order):

1. Scan and check the codes.
2. Put another Wix filter on (which would shed light on whether it is "the filter" or "that filter."
3. Put the original filter back on and see if light comes back.

My money is on something else going on concomitantly, or even human error.... like knocking a wire or sensor out of place while doing the change. Or installing the filter with plastic wrap still in place. There is little chance that this is happening when a correct spec Wix filter is installed. Good luck.

I think it's possible to get a defective filter and have weird issues.

Years ago I had a high mileage 01 Suburban 5.3. No issues when I bought it. Then, after an oil change, The oil pressure gauge was noticeably lower at idle and I had a slight hesitation that I couldn't figure out. On a whim I replaced the ACDelco oil filter I'd put on with a MicroGard and the oil pressure went back to normal and no more hesitation.

Interesting to be sure but I have the funny feeling we're never going to know what happened.
A basic code reader should be a requirement to join BITOG. (kidding....sorta)
For now, I'm in the human error/mix-up camp.

And remember, even if you couldn't replace a typewriter ribbon, you can pull codes.

I didn’t scan it I just put the oem on and light went out. I’ll try it again next oil change cause I have a case of them. The kid at the parts counter at the dealership said he’s seen it before.
Only way the filter could cause that low of pressure is if it was totally blocked off (like totally clogged), and even then I'd think the filter bypass valve would at least give enough flow & pressure to extinguish an oil pressure light. But you're saying it was a Check Engine light that came on. So did the low oil pressure warning light go off? If so, then your CEL most likely isn't related to low oil pressure. Is the motor making any new strange noises. You said you drove it for 2 days with the CEL light on.

Last edited:
And immediately the check engine light came on. I used the right oil and right amount the only thing different was the Wix filter. I removed it and put on an oem filter and light went out. Has anyone come across this. Do Hyundai not like other filters. I feel it something to do with oil pressure
Can you cut open that wix filter that gave you the CEL?

Wix is made by Mann Hummel - - - - which is the OEM manufacturer for Hyundai Kia - - -
If you look on the box I bet it is also made in south Korea.

Strange - - - I run wix and man filters in both our Santa Fe and carnival - - - no issues or codes.

Back