Which Filter (See Post) Should I Get?

Why do people ask such questions with out pertinent information like:
-year and make of vehicle,
- mileage on vehicle
- mileage per year
- type of engine

the current combination seems to be working well according to blackstone. I wouldn’t upset the apple cart.
A UOA doesn't give any info on how an oil filter is working unless that UOA includes a ISO 4406 (or similar) particle count.

First off, I am not new to changing oil/filters. I did take a break for a while though since it was the same price and easier for the dealer to do it. They have since raised their prices and I don't want to pay it anymore (plus I want to switch to full syn oil as they use semi-syn and the OEM filter is rated at 80% at 20 microns). Based on that, I have narrowed it down to these filters through some research and I would like some additional input. Price is not a factor to me (they are all within $6 of each other locally). These are all 20,000+ mile filters. They are all similar media and are 99% at 20 microns. My list in no specific order:

1- K&N HP-2010
2- PurolatorBOSS PBL24651
3- Mobil 1 M1-210A
4- Fram FS2 / XG2 (not sure what the difference is)
5- Fram FE2 (I know this is a 25k filter, but the price puts in the running)
6- Open to other ideas that I can get locally

I know that these listed are 20k mile filters. While I am only going to be putting on 7500-10000 miles between oil changes, the price difference in 10k filters and 20k filters make it a no brainer for me to get the 20k filters. I also wanted a good filter as I do a lot of short drives, a fair amount of idling in the winter (who wants to get into an iced over car) and some towing in the summer.
The OEM is rated 80%@20 because it’s more than sufficient but whatever floats your boat.
Of the filters you listed Id go with the cheapest price.

Not really a contradiction. I was changing oil every 6ish months at between 4000 to 5000 miles using semi-synthetic and OEM filter (rated at 80% according to one source, another source said 93%) I want to now use full synthetic and a better filter to go more miles (at least 7500) and more time (would like 12 months if possible)
Your long out of warranty. You can ignore the time factor for the most part. I’d only ever worry about time on an oci if there was considerable fuel dilution. Otherwise you can go the whole 12 months without changing anything else you been doing.

Back