Should i be worried about the supertech oil filter on my car?

Horror stories and reports of cardboard end caps
Unless you are running Japan Denso, you don't have any endcaps at all on a Thai Denso :)

I have had improper VVTi operation and excessive VT noise with Toyota Thai Denso in the past, (mid 2000's) No problems with Japan Denso OEM.

O.E JDM Japan Denso

90915-10003.jpg

I wanted to do the cheapest possible oil change as the previous oil looked neglected on my new purchase 94 ls400. I put on a st36104 (I think that's the number) on it. It's a supertech basic oil filter. I've been worrying about recently and am worrying so much I'm wanting to change it asap to a toyota oem denso. Are my worries illogical? I plan to run a 2k-3k oci on it... please reassure or tell me what's up. Thanks
Your worries ARE illogical. Almost insane! So is changing it at 2 or 3k.
But its ok, oil forums will do that to you ;)

Your worries ARE illogical. Almost insane! So is changing it at 2 or 3k.
But its ok, oil forums will do that to you ;)
I know that oil color doesn't matter, and bla bla bla. But I don't care, I'm not Even old and from the 80s and stuck in my ways, I'm relatively young and grew up with modern engine oils. I still don't care, I'll never go over 4k on my 2uzfes oil (I'm aware the 2uz and go 10k mile oci's..). My oil is perfectly clean till about 2k miles then it starts oxidation, 3500 is when I usually do it. It feels good always having perfectly clean engine oil in my truck that I plan on keeping for the next 20 years. It's a 2001 and I plan to have it in 2040. I change all the fluids all the time because I want to and it gives me something to do. Yall can do your 8k mile oil changes all you want to save 32 bucks a year

Unless you are running Japan Denso, you don't have any endcaps at all on a Thai Denso :)

I have had improper VVTi operation and excessive VT noise with Toyota Thai Denso in the past, (mid 2000's) No problems with Japan Denso OEM.

O.E JDM Japan Denso

View attachment 177606
Yea that's because they run a superior glue over endcaps... if you really care that much about quality and reliability you would of bought a pre vvti era toyota in the first place ;)

I wanted to do the cheapest possible oil change as the previous oil looked neglected on my new purchase 94 ls400. I put on a st36104 (I think that's the number) on it. It's a supertech basic oil filter. I've been worrying about recently and am worrying so much I'm wanting to change it asap to a toyota oem denso. Are my worries illogical? I plan to run a 2k-3k oci on it... please reassure or tell me what's up. Thanks
No your worries are in vain actually.
Leave it in for 5k at least

Anyone else here hate the plastic foil caps on oil bottles? The ones found on supertech and others. They are always a pain in the ass to remove and I'm always super paranoid a piece fell into the bottle when I removed it bit by bit. This is why I switched to quaker state. Suck it other oil companies! Your foil seal is so stupid and is the reason I don't buy your oil that's just waiting to clog an oil passage

Anyone else here hate the plastic foil caps on oil bottles? The ones found on supertech and others. They are always a pain in the ass to remove and I'm always super paranoid a piece fell into the bottle when I removed it bit by bit. This is why I switched to quaker state. Suck it other oil companies! Your foil seal is so stupid and is the reason I don't buy your oil that's just waiting to clog an oil passage
Pocket screwdriver through the seal, pry it up & out. Not really tough.

Pocket screwdriver through the seal, pry it up & out. Not really tough.
I'm talking about the plastic one that's see through, they're pains in the butt. You have to remove them piece by piece and they get stuck on your finger

Supertech oil filters are made by Champ Labs, they are good filters and I would much rather see these used instead of garbage like Protec filters. I have run AC Delco PF47E for years which is identical in design to the regular ST labeled Supertech filters while the MP line is based off of the Champ XL design with metal end caps, I have had absolutely zero issues when I did run them although currently I have a FRAM Endurance installed.

Nothing wrong with Supertech oil either if you stick to regular 5k and below intervals.

O.E JDM Japan Denso

View attachment 177606
You know as someone who owns a Toyota, I must say Toyota makes some of the ugliest weirdest designed oil filters out there.

Although my 2002 1MZ-FE and a family members 2003 1MZ-FE don't have any problems running a Thailand made YZZD1 in terms of noise.

Just keep it out of the fill hole, along with the power bait.

So we all talk about how long mileage wise and time wise oil can go. But what about oem oil filters like denso 90915yzzd3?? I want to do a yearly oil change interval on the ls400 and tundra, but idk if the denso filter is capable of 6k miles/yearly oil changes? I don't want to run a fram ultra

For those of you who run 10k Mile oci's. Would you rather buy a car who's oil was changed every 4k miles or 10k miles? Lol. Don't lie

So we all talk about how long mileage wise and time wise oil can go. But what about oem oil filters like denso 90915yzzd3?? I want to do a yearly oil change interval on the ls400 and tundra, but idk if the denso filter is capable of 6k miles/yearly oil changes? I don't want to run a fram ultra
OEM filters are designed to last the intervals listed by the manufacturer of each specific vehicle.

If the owners manual lists 7,500 that means the OEM filter is capable of 7,500.

Back