Which Filter (See Post) Should I Get?

AWK

First off, I am not new to changing oil/filters. I did take a break for a while though since it was the same price and easier for the dealer to do it. They have since raised their prices and I don't want to pay it anymore (plus I want to switch to full syn oil as they use semi-syn and the OEM filter is rated at 80% at 20 microns). Based on that, I have narrowed it down to these filters through some research and I would like some additional input. Price is not a factor to me (they are all within $6 of each other locally). These are all 20,000+ mile filters. They are all similar media and are 99% at 20 microns. My list in no specific order:

1- K&N HP-2010
2- PurolatorBOSS PBL24651
3- Mobil 1 M1-210A
4- Fram FS2 / XG2 (not sure what the difference is)
5- Fram FE2 (I know this is a 25k filter, but the price puts in the running)
6- Open to other ideas that I can get locally

I know that these listed are 20k mile filters. While I am only going to be putting on 7500-10000 miles between oil changes, the price difference in 10k filters and 20k filters make it a no brainer for me to get the 20k filters. I also wanted a good filter as I do a lot of short drives, a fair amount of idling in the winter (who wants to get into an iced over car) and some towing in the summer.

FRAM Endurance or FRAM Ultra is the only ones I would touch on that list, and they are the only ones really proven to actually have the efficiency ratings they claim to have throughout multiple filters.

While I am not a fan of louvers I have seen a few used cut opens of the Endurance and they looks great so I just installed a FE3387A on my Chevy, oh and my intervals are 5k and that includes a new filter each time so don't even listen to people who complain about changing filters out early.

The key to making your engine last is to change the oil frequently. 5,000 miles max on synthetic oil. Then it doesn't matter what brand name filter you get.
The manual says 7500 miles oci using semi-synthetic. Not sure why using full synthetic would equal a lower oci. I normally change oil because of time (6 months), not miles anyway. Also, per Blackstone, I should have no problems pushing my oci to 8+ months.

The manual says 7500 miles oci using semi-synthetic. Not sure why using full synthetic would equal a lower oci. I normally change oil because of time, not miles anyway.

That contradicts what you said in the first post. You said 7500-10,000 miles.

It all depends on what your driving routine is. What vehicle is this?

The manual says 7500 miles oci using semi-synthetic. Not sure why using full synthetic would equal a lower oci. I normally change oil because of time (6 months), not miles anyway. Also, per Blackstone, I should have no problems pushing my oci to 8+ months.
Do you plan on owning it outside the warranty period? They say that because they want to imply it costs very little to maintain, as a selling point in the showroom.

Do you plan on owning it outside the warranty period? They say that because they want to imply it costs very little to maintain, as a selling point in the showroom.
It is long out of warranty. Has been out of warranty since 2017. I bought it with 40k miles on it and it now has 105k on it.

That contradicts what you said in the first post. You said 7500-10,000 miles.
Not really a contradiction. I was changing oil every 6ish months at between 4000 to 5000 miles using semi-synthetic and OEM filter (rated at 80% according to one source, another source said 93%) I want to now use full synthetic and a better filter to go more miles (at least 7500) and more time (would like 12 months if possible)

If you study up on the 500,000 mile to a million mile engines/ vehicles you will find they just run what ever filter the quick lube or the dealer /shop uses.

If you study up on the 500,000 mile to a million mile engines/ vehicles you will find they just run what ever filter the quick lube or the dealer /shop uses.
One of those Million Mile E-150's used Schaeffer's oil. Far cry from bulk dealer oil so it is probably a range of oil's just like anybody else.

First off, I am not new to changing oil/filters. I did take a break for a while though since it was the same price and easier for the dealer to do it. They have since raised their prices and I don't want to pay it anymore (plus I want to switch to full syn oil as they use semi-syn and the OEM filter is rated at 80% at 20 microns). Based on that, I have narrowed it down to these filters through some research and I would like some additional input. Price is not a factor to me (they are all within $6 of each other locally). These are all 20,000+ mile filters. They are all similar media and are 99% at 20 microns. My list in no specific order:

1- K&N HP-2010
2- PurolatorBOSS PBL24651
3- Mobil 1 M1-210A
4- Fram FS2 / XG2 (not sure what the difference is)
5- Fram FE2 (I know this is a 25k filter, but the price puts in the running)
6- Open to other ideas that I can get locally

I know that these listed are 20k mile filters. While I am only going to be putting on 7500-10000 miles between oil changes, the price difference in 10k filters and 20k filters make it a no brainer for me to get the 20k filters. I also wanted a good filter as I do a lot of short drives, a fair amount of idling in the winter (who wants to get into an iced over car) and some towing in the summer.
Did you ask for a "Spec Sheet" on your Boss part number? If the Boss is actually the efficiency you say it is then that would be my recommendation.

Did you ask for a "Spec Sheet" on your Boss part number? If the Boss is actually the efficiency you say it is then that would be my recommendation.
The efficiency came from a chart that I saw on this forum. I don't remember what the thread was called. It was comparing Fram, Wix, and Purolator.

^^^ Yep, that Purolator Boss is a far cry from 99% @ 20u.

Even their gigantic 30001 isn't 99% @ 20u, but @ 25u per Puolator's website.

I don't think the K&N is 99% @ 20u either.
I didn't catch the K&N on the list...Thanks. No way it's that efficient. Maybe 99@30. Fat chance on the Boss too but there are some out there. Even if the spec sheet shows 99@25 would still be pretty good but the Fram Extended would probably exceed that & still get the wire backing. List's like what's shown in this post & spelled out as 99@20 is unfortunately from good oil filter marketing for people not in the know.

Based on the information in this thread and others on the forum, along with talking to Fram, I went with the FS2 (Endurance) filter. Fram did confirm that all of their Endurance line is 99% at 20.

Thank you!
FRAM tests 3 different filters from small to big, the FE3387A, FE8A, FE4967, and in their testing which has also been verified by independent testing it comes out to 99%+ at 20 microns.

So based on that it is fairly safe to say their whole line is also the same efficiency. Other companies prefer to test only their bigger filters, FRAM does the right thing and tests multiple.

Back