Should turbos be avoided for longevity?

Idk VW has a pretty good track record. They have been doing it for a long time.
I've owned and worked on many gasoline turbos....they are fun to drive, and won't last the life of the engine, usually. Of course the engine may only last 150k so the turbo may too lol.

A N/A engine of larger displacement will almost certainly last longer AND get better economy if geared correctly. Remember all the FWD full size 1990s cars with 3.8 V6s? They all got pretty near 30mpg...with 4 speed automatics.

Turbos run rich, they have to under boost to avoid detonation. This saps fuel economy if you are in the boost much of the time.

The 6F35 had it's fair share of issues as well, though. In Ford's version of the 6F, the valve body bores would wear out and the trans would start being sluggish shifting. Typically from 1-2 and 2-3, sometimes into reverse. As the bore wore out, it would just stop shifting as it couldn't develop pressure. This issue is what sent my Fusion to the junkyard.
I also had these problems on a 2013 Fusion with 175k miles and a 2.5 that ran great. Car was totaled before I had it a year.

Nice cruiser, but the 2-3 shift would take a long time and finally jerk into gear.

I've owned and worked on many gasoline turbos....they are fun to drive, and won't last the life of the engine, usually. Of course the engine may only last 150k so the turbo may too lol.

A N/A engine of larger displacement will almost certainly last longer AND get better economy if geared correctly. Remember all the FWD full size 1990s cars with 3.8 V6s? They all got pretty near 30mpg...with 4 speed automatics.

Turbos run rich, they have to under boost to avoid detonation. This saps fuel economy if you are in the boost much of the time.
If the secret to fuel economy were a 3.8 V6 and a 4 speed auto, that's what manufactures would be producing as they are all about CAFE credits, yet here we are. Not knocking that drivetrain as it was a good one, but I'm still glad for 8 speed autos and turbochargers. Power when needed and excellent fuel economy as well, at least that has been our experience.

I had a turbocharger failure on a subaru (baja) that crapped out at 100k miles.

I never let it cool down but I also believe subaru had issues with their wastegate

If the secret to fuel economy were a 3.8 V6 and a 4 speed auto, that's what manufactures would be producing as they are all about CAFE credits, yet here we are. Not knocking that drivetrain as it was a good one, but I'm still glad for 8 speed autos and turbochargers. Power when needed and excellent fuel economy as well, at least that has been our experience.
I'm not sure if there's ever been a thirstier 2.0 turbo 8spd auto than the one that resides beneath the hood of our 2021 Metris.
Gluttonous sweaty hog, it is...I'm sure it'd be respectable if it just sailed down the highway at 1800rpms all day.
Full time city duty she sips at the big block table:(

I've owned and driven a few turbo vehicles. A 3.5 Ecoboost in an F150 got 13.5mpg average....but would tow anything! Towing it was sub 10mpg, boost all the time.

My 1.8t in Passat, could get 34mpg if I drove it around 55mph and payed attention. But generally going down the interstate at 75 it was in the low to mid 20s. My old 1.7 and 1.8 N/A mechanical injection VWs all got 30+ in that same 75mph situation. Much lighter cars.

Weight, gearing, internal friction, and fuel/air ratio are what determines overall economy.

Your buddy is wrong.

Wife’s car is nearing 300,000 miles.

Original turbo, engine, and transmission.
Agreed it's not the turbo, it's the application and the user. Do bad or no maintenance and turbos (+ transmissions) are not likely to make 300k miles. Often the engine won't either but if the maintenance is good the life of either isn't markedly less than a NA engine.

Did an evil engineer wake up one morning and say, I'll build a V6 turbo, and they'll all get what's coming!?

Did an evil engineer wake up one morning and say, I'll build a V6 turbo, and they'll all get what's coming!?
Possibly
Or an engineer woke up one morning and was like, ill build a turbo V6. It'll be like a turbo 4 but better in every way

I totally agree with one exception I know of personally. The VW 2L turbo in my Arteon gives amazing mpgs and that is combined and not an interstate reading.
Along the lines of a hybrid.

The interesting point is to get max mpgs you need to wind it out. Driving like an old fool yields a dip in mpg. I guess it is well sorted out.. Any thoughts
@KCJeep

A lot of modern turbos have little to no lag, delivering startling acceleration and great mpg at the same time. We had a bad experience with a turbo in the 80s but since have/had a bunch in the family no issues at all. At the moment two EcoBoost Fords at over 140k owned by my kids no issues although they are probably starting to push it.

Most modern turbos will last into third owner territory with average maintenance IMO with the notable exception of anything Hyundai or Kia. 😱

I‘m not saying turbos are bad, but if I had to choose between a NA engine and a turbo engine, I’d choose the NA engine...fewer parts, maybe less heat, maybe easier on oil. No intercooler, waste-gate, turbo, lines, ducts. I find the engine to be easier to work on without the turbo too. Now, having said that, the problem is that performance is usually greater with the turbo. They are able to stuff more performed into a smaller engine, while likely also providing better fuel economy (if driven conservatively). And that’s a big deal for most.

IMG_4244.jpg

I don't think idling is required for most new cars.
My VW cools itself down automatically as soon as you shut it off.
VW was smart for having it water cooled and running a separate electric pump. It’s also great for warming the engine on a cold day.

Most turbos today are both water and oil cooled with convective water flow when the engine is shut off driven by the heat of the turbo. On my Gen coupe when you shut off the engine the hot turbo heats the coolant and it rises to the heater core.

138k miles on the one I have with no issues.

FWIW, I drove my 2000 VW GTI 1.8T for 364K miles on the original engine, turbo, and transmission. When I donated Little Red, she was having an undiagnosed transmission issue, but the engine and turbo were otherwise fine.

I have been car shopping and it seems most all cars have turbos on them now days should any car be avoided with one if you want longevity? I keep my cars until i hit 300,000 to 400,000 miles as i drive a lot.

For most people the turbos probably don't affect as most people don't keep there cars long enough to have it die but i do. My buddy says that little 1.5L gas engines with a turbo will never last 300k-400k as it's a small motor with added stress from the turbo and naturally aspirated engine is the way to go for longevity and no repair bills.

Is he right or full of it?
Turbos don’t need to be avoided to achieve longevity; poor maintenance habits do.

Back