2023 Silverado WT open diff w/trac control? 2.7 8 speed

Does a 2023 Silverado WT 4x4 2.7 turbo, without a locking rear differential use traction control to apply the brakes to the spinning wheel to act as a limited slip?

I am looking at possibly buying the above vehicle and am used to limited slip in my other vehicles, will the newer tech of traction control handle most of what a locking diff can do?

Also have minor concerns with longevity concerns of this 2.7 turbo engine and the 8 speed auto., but think they will be fine as I am on top of my maintenance and won’t be run that hard as I don’t tow.

You will be with the EcoTec 2.7 Torque Monster and 8 Speed GM design test this motor to the Max . it should last longer than Toyota’s 2.4 Turbo 🫣🫣

I had a 2022 Silverado Custom 2.7 4x4 crew that had the same open diff with an 3.42 ratio and found it to be just fine in sloppy conditions - it does use brake based traction control to mimic limited slip capabilities. That truck was great averaging 23.9 mpg over the 10 months and 12k miles I had it.

I loved the torque and efficiency of the 2.7 so much but wanted a few more creature comforts so worked a good deal to trade the 2022 custom for a 2023 LT 4x4. The LT has the G80 locking rear and I don’t notice any difference in how it handles sand, mud, muck and snow from the custom without it.

Also something I learned when buying the 2023 is that Chevy is so bullish on durability of this engine they now have a 100k mile powertrain warranty.

Pretty sure the 8 speed is the better-regarded transmission. Friend of mine just traded a gmc AT4 with the 10 speed because the TC grenaded at 118k, highway miles, no towing. The same 10 speed in my ford is the weakest part of the truck.

I would have no issue with the 2.7 turbo unless I was towing heavy, and even then I might still give it a chance. If I were to buy a gmc today, the 2.7 would be where I’d start.

Pretty sure the 8 speed is the better-regarded transmission. Friend of mine just traded a gmc AT4 with the 10 speed because the TC grenaded at 118k, highway miles, no towing. The same 10 speed in my ford is the weakest part of the truck.

I would have no issue with the 2.7 turbo unless I was towing heavy, and even then I might still give it a chance. If I were to buy a gmc today, the 2.7 would be where I’d start.
Are those 10 speed transmissions not reliable?

Are those 10 speed transmissions not reliable?
It sorta depends on who you ask? Ford and chevy designed them together but from my understanding build them separately and use different fluids and programming. There may be a class action lawsuit against ford as they seem to have some recurring failures with theirs. GM versions seem to hold up better.

I am not one to condemn the unit. I do think it’s probably demanding on lubrication. When mine is doing well it is a wonderful unit. Otoh, mine has been bad enough that I would have been forced to trade the truck over it if lubeguard hadn’t fixed it, and that is saying something.

I am not sure I’ve ever signed up to participate in a class action lawsuit. For this one, if I get the notice, I’ll probably participate.

It sorta depends on who you ask? Ford and chevy designed them together but from my understanding build them separately and use different fluids and programming. There may be a class action lawsuit against ford as they seem to have some recurring failures with theirs. GM versions seem to hold up better.

I am not one to condemn the unit. I do think it’s probably demanding on lubrication. When mine is doing well it is a wonderful unit. Otoh, mine has been bad enough that I would have been forced to trade the truck over it if lubeguard hadn’t fixed it, and that is saying something.

I am not sure I’ve ever signed up to participate in a class action lawsuit. For this one, if I get the notice, I’ll probably participate.
Same fluids. Both ULV's are interchangeable.

@ctechbob - so I’d wondered … and sorta figured they are interchangeable, but is it known that they are actually the same? Genuinely curious…

@ctechbob - so I’d wondered … and sorta figured they are interchangeable, but is it known that they are actually the same? Genuinely curious…
I just base it off of the aftermarket saying one fluid for both. We all know how that works, but ULV is so darned specific I figure there's an excellent chance that is correct. I really quit looking into it other than keeping my eye out for alternative fluids, which are still few and far between as far as actually being available on the open market.

Of course, we've all been there with the DW1 (Honda) debate.

Never knew of GM having an open differential in a 4WD truck - both our 2 speed and single speed Tahoe’s have G80’s …
All my Silverado/Sierra/Canyon/Colorado LT’s did …
Perhaps by getting LT or higher trim level …

I had the 21 3500 Silverado with the 10 speed that we put on 194k miles on with out issues. She towed a 40ft goosenecktrailer at all times with a load of 3k to 10k plus 8k trailer. Only fluid changes every 60k or so. She was worked 24hours a day 10 plus hours of ideal and the other time running hard

I had the 21 3500 Silverado with the 10 speed that we put on 194k miles on with out issues. She towed a 40ft goosenecktrailer at all times with a load of 3k to 10k plus 8k trailer. Only fluid changes every 60k or so. She was worked 24hours a day 10 plus hours of ideal and the other time running hard
That's good to hear. When Allison was spun off to private equity, GM kept some of the folks who did the 1000/2000 series. They at least understood what the benchmark for this application was. Of course they didn't have a clean sheet on this new 10 speed design as a lot of it had been laid down by Powertrain (Hydramatic).

Back