GM 1.4T turbo replacement

It looks like my parents stolen 2015 Hyundai Sonata is gone for good. They‘re down to their 2011 Chevy Cruze with 55,000 miles. About two years ago the check engine light came on while driving. It was time for an oil change so they brought it in to the dealer. They check the code and it was related to the turbo. They said the turbo needed to be replaced for $2K. After that I told my parents to only drive it in town and for longer drives take the Sonata. The Cruze has been fine since that dealer visit, the check engine light hasn’t come back on. When I was down at my parents last week I gave the engine a look over and I didn’t see any oil leaks or coolant leaks. The coolant bottle was at the full line, they always change the oil when the olm gets between 20%-30% with synthetic.

I know these 1.4T have their fare shares of problems, cracked turbos, coolant leaks, pvc issues. My parents really can’t afford a new car at their stage in life. With the Cruze only having 55,000 miles after twelve years, they ”should“ have plenty of life left in it. I suggested they take the car to a local mechanic and have them give it a thorough inspection and see if they find anything that needs replacement. My parents live in the desert, so after 12 years, I would imagine the plastic pieces in the engine bay could be brittle. You think replacing the turbo would be a wise choice at this point? I just don’t want my parents stuck on the side of the road if the turbo craps out while they are driving. I was quite surprised that KBB shows their car is worth $4300. I was thinking it was worth about $2K.

Any chance you remember what the code was? Other than that, the 1.4 leaks and leaks, eventually it will need a thermostat, the water outlet at the driver side of the engine, VCT solenoid seals, valve cover, intake manifold, and the turbos are definitely known for breaking the outlet housings, although usually don't code. Frankly if it isn't leaking coolant or oil, the code hasn't come back in 2 years, and it seems to be running fine, I'd drive it like I stole it and wait for the known issues to eventually pop up.

Leave it....The housing cracks by wastegate, and you get a low boost code. They will go a long time like that. Look real close at plastic coolant housing at drivers side of head. They are bad for leaking. Use OEM only. Valve covers are common for PCV going bad. Stick OEM they are cheap. Plugs should be done....stick to AC delco. Watch up inside coil boots for corrosion on both side of spring.
We sold a ton of these as used cars , so got to know them well. They are a pretty solid car IMO

They said the turbo needed to be replaced for $2K.

A GM turbo from Rock Auto is under $500 and just about stares you in the face when you open the hood. Takes maybe an hour to remove.

Chevy 2012 Cruze LT #2 turbocharger.JPG

I would get a second opinion on the turbo for sure, usually they throw a permanent code which cannot be cleared and only go away after the problem is fixed (Obviously a problem in states with inspections).

A family members Cruze had a bad turbo it was giving the "turbo under boost" code but it drove for years with it before the transmission finally started acting weird at over 200,000 miles and it was traded in.

I’ve read that the turbos oil supply line is poorly routed behind the manifold and the heat can cause the o rings to leak or the oil to coke up in the line and reduce flow. There is supposedly an updated unit with a heat shield available.

I’ve read that the turbos oil supply line is poorly routed behind the manifold and the heat can cause the o rings to leak or the oil to coke up in the line and reduce flow. There is supposedly an updated unit with a heat shield available.
I read that too. I replaced mine on my 2015 Trax with 100,000 miles and it was clear as can be.

I was quite surprised that KBB shows their car is worth $4300. I was thinking it was worth about $2K.
$4,300 seems low IMO given the mileage, and it sounds like no known problem other than a check engine light two years ago, assuming the car has been otherwise taken care of, just my $.02.

A GM turbo from Rock Auto is under $500 and just about stares you in the face when you open the hood. Takes maybe an hour to remove.

View attachment 155395
Yeah what he said. The whole oem assembly is actually reasonably priced and its not buried under intake manifolds or anything like that. I would just roll with it the way it is and if it needs it its not a huge deal if you can do it yourself.

I read that too. I replaced mine on my 2015 Trax with 100,000 miles and it was clear as can be.
Considering where you are posting, you will have tell us what oil brand and the change interval. you also have to tell us the filter. Extra credit fr pictures. Then we can argue the merit of your choices It is a rule. extra credit is you install a catch can

Just a wild guess but I know from experience that the ground lugs on the battery must be very tight or the car will give random codes. Could be that the previous CEL was caused by something like that ?
FWIW, I would drive it and not worry about it. Other than the water outlet on the drivers side of the engine I would just keep maintaining it and driving it. I think some of the issues with this car are from neglect and abuse as much as bad engineering.

My parents found the paper work from 2 years ago. p0299 turbo under boost.

IMG_0287.jpeg

Have you taken it out for an Italian tuneup type drive? See if it stores any faults. I assume you have a code reader? Or pop into a parts store and ask them to scan it for you.

Idea being see if that under boost code comes back.

Back