Serpentine Belt - When To Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the pulleys and idlers on the engine are aligned well and it doesn't spend all its time in a super harsh environment (salty, dusty, freezing cold and super hot), a good EPDM serpentine belt can easily do 100k miles. I changed my original factory belt at 100k just because that's an easy mileage to remember, it still looked great. Kept it as a spare.

My 02 Ranger had its belt replaced under warranty at around 27K miles due to noise, but the replacement lasted around 100K, might have been longer. I replaced it only because it would squeak a little on sharp turns. I replaced it again with a Bando when the water pump went out.

Both of my older trucks were purchased with the belts in poor condition and I replaced them during initial old vehicle shakedown. I put a cheap house brand belt on the 94 Ranger and ran it about 30K until the belt tensioner started screaming, then put a Bando on when I fixed that. The Explorer has the Bando I put on it last December after I drug it home from the auction. I like Bandos, cheap and quiet. I will run them until they show signs of wear.

My wifes 2011 Nissan Quest is still sporting the factory serpentine belt at 92k miles.
It recently started making a bit of squeaking and chirping in damp or cold weather, so I have a new one coming and will change it soon when I change the oil.
I generally Use Gates or Bando belts, got a Bando for the Quest, Put a Gates on my F350 last summer.

Originally Posted by DGXR
If the pulleys and idlers on the engine are aligned well and it doesn't spend all its time in a super harsh environment (salty, dusty, freezing cold and super hot), a good EPDM serpentine belt can easily do 100k miles. I changed my original factory belt at 100k just because that's an easy mileage to remember, it still looked great. Kept it as a spare.

^^^^^^^

This is good advice.

Though I didn't change mine until 175k miles
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back