Serpentine belt tensioner creekjng

Hello all. I have tracked down my noise in my car. It’s coming from the tensioner for the serpentine belt. When I put my wrench on it and move it through its motions, it creeks and squeaks. It’s not belt related. What causes this AND how long can I leave jt like this? It just seems like an annoyance to me mainly, as the tensioner keeps great tension on the belt still. Can I leave this alone for a while? Can I fix it? It’s a 1st gen ls400 and the tensioner is discontinued, and aftermarket ones all appear to be junk. Maybe I could swap my oem Toyota pulley onto the aftermarket assembly of the tensioner and it will make it like oem again? Any advise helps

It has a constant force spring that may have some debris on it along with rust . Or maybe the pivot point is the area causing the noise. Spray some WD forty and see if that hepls to clean it up. If the noise stops that is your culprit. As long as it has good tension you should be fine. You then may want to spray something like fluid film on it or chain lube which is tacky and in theory will stay put after about a minute of some flow. But do not get any of this on the pulley or belt. That should go with out saying, But I will still say it.

Since the Toyota part is discontinued, you might try the Continental 49433 from Rockauto.com.

The picture for the Continental 49433 shows the casting as made in Canada. Probably mfg by Litens. I would roll the dice with that one before Gates or random white box part.

I realize that the picture guarantees nothing, and it could just be an old picture. However, Continental generally makes or subs out decent parts.

Hello all. I have tracked down my noise in my car. It’s coming from the tensioner for the serpentine belt. When I put my wrench on it and move it through its motions, it creeks and squeaks. It’s not belt related. What causes this AND how long can I leave jt like this? It just seems like an annoyance to me mainly, as the tensioner keeps great tension on the belt still. Can I leave this alone for a while? Can I fix it? It’s a 1st gen ls400 and the tensioner is discontinued, and aftermarket ones all appear to be junk. Maybe I could swap my oem Toyota pulley onto the aftermarket assembly of the tensioner and it will make it like oem again? Any advise helps
I'd change it. An aftermarket tensioner is better than an original one on its way out.

It is very hard to precisely diagnose these things off a message board. However, If the Tension is fine as reported and the noise goes away after cleaning it, I would not conclude it is bad. With that said, If the higher quality Continental part on RA is cheap enough then replace it and be done. You have to decide what your time is worth and a judgement as to how much longer it may last.
An individual car owner doing his own repairs has a different thought process, value system, concerns, skills and motivations than a repair business. At the end of the day only you can decide what is best for you.

Sprayed some wd40 in the crack of the tensioner pivot arm, problem solved. I’m leaving it. All the aftermarket ones are junk and the continental is just a rebranded gates/dayco. If I ever replace it I’ll just swap the Toyota pulley with an nsk bearing onto it

Sprayed some wd40 in the crack of the tensioner pivot arm, problem solved. I’m leaving it. All the aftermarket ones are junk and the continental is just a rebranded gates/dayco. If I ever replace it I’ll just swap the Toyota pulley with an nsk bearing onto it.
WD40 "may be" effective, but it won't last long. Be prepared for repeated applications.

It is a band aid at best.

Back