One good looking serpentine belt

Serpentine belt, even a used one, is the best thing since sliced bread for a metal lathe belt drive!~

Im getting a chirping noise replaced the idler pulley and noise is still there. Cant be the belt since its only done 18k miles. All other pullies are fine doesnt make sense?

Some belts make noise. Dayco Drive-Rite are awful. Spray the belt with water, if the noise goes away, it's a belt problem.

I once had a chirping belt that would make most of the noise in the morning, then went away when it warmed up. It looked fine with no cracking. I checked my records and found that it was an original belt with 11 years and 60K miles on it. When I bought the new belt, I compared the two and found the old belt had stretched quite noticeably and beyond the tensioner limits!

11 years and 160k on my Touareg's original serp belt and it still looks new.
170k miles and 11.75 years on my 2012 Honda Fit’s serpentine belt and it looks very good.

Here’s the kicker, 3 out of 4 spark plug survived past 170k miles but one burnt off at the tip and the car pits itself into limp mode. AAP and AZ ran diagnostic and kept saying it was either battery or alternator. Resetting the battery fixed thr problem for a few trips but it finally wouldn’t go out of limp mode so I had it towed to my mechanic and he pulled the plugs, which I suspected due to time and Mike. Sure enough, thr tip broke off and not found. Engine sounds perfect so the filter must have caught it before it went anywhere. Never again and it was my total screw up.

still original belt on a 2007 camry at almost 310,000 miles....
***? At least it is an item one can check. I am saving my OEM with 170k in case of emergency. Probably need to learn how to change it in a pinch too. With the right tools, it is completely easy but I definitely don’t have the right tools.

I just checked my receipts, the belt i got at the moment making the noise has done 18k but was put on in 2014 so its 10 years old. Should changing the belt stop the noise seeing as how changing the idler didnt stop the noise.

Odd i just put a tiny bit of water on the belt and the noise is gone. Driven 5 miles and still not a squeek. Maybe i was hasty in ordering a new belt?

Back