Scotty Kilmer: All for Catch Cans on GDI (8/2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave1251
I don't buy into a catch can doing much of anything.

+1 for me.

Originally Posted by philipp10
If a catch can is beneficial why do 't the manufacturers put them on?

It can't be very beneficial if it was all the GDI engines with issues would have it installed at the factory. Its less expensive and takes less time then to reenginer an engine with both port and GDI.

Originally Posted by StevieC

Because it's hard enough to get people to change their oil and air filter and no one wants to have to empty a canister of oil.

but couldn't a catch can be set up with a drain....right back to the sump?

It could but sometimes the stuff that the cans catches is more condensation than oil and that would contaminate the oil. Plus it's another part for the automaker which means additional cost and over millions of units that's not going to happen especially when engines last past the warranty without them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251

It can't be very beneficial if it was all the GDI engines with issues would have it installed at the factory. Its less expensive and takes less time then to reenginer an engine with both port and GDI.

Understandable reasoning but as explained by StevieC and others, including Engineering Explained, people are just lazy and this is another maintenance item needing regular service...

It could but sometimes the stuff that the cans catches is more condensation than oil and that would contaminate the oil. Plus it's another part for the automaker which means additional cost and over millions of units that's not going to happen especially when engines last past the warranty without them.

The car business is way too competitive to think a car manufacturer is just striving to "get past the warranty". That's GM thinking from the 1980's....not happening in 2018. If catch cans prolonged life to any discernable degree.....we would have them.

It's not about prolonging the life, it would be for preventing valve build-up in some cases. Second every automaker skimps where they can get away with it to save costs some more than others. Need I mention the GM ignition switch fiasco where they wanted to save $0.50 per switch and caused deaths because they were being cheap?

It's not about prolonging the life, it would be for preventing valve build-up in some cases. Second every automaker skimps where they can get away with it to save costs some more than others. Need I mention the GM ignition switch fiasco where they wanted to save $0.50 per switch and caused deaths because they were being cheap?

but in the GM ignition switch case it was not being cheap. It was just a mistake. Big difference.

Mistake, sure... Not what undercover consumer shows up here uncovered. They knew about the problem and swept it under the rug. But whatever ...

Originally Posted by clinebarger
It's funny that GM has incorporated a factory-self draining catch can into their DI LT1 engines......

Chrysler is using a centrifugal PCV valve in the PentaStar engine that rides on the camshaft. Neat design and seems to work well. I pulled the hose on mine and it's dry in there.

https://youtu.be/mxwC5vVqidM?t=580

Last edited:
BMW has used a self draining PCV style system since the 90s. Funny how they had big problems with their DIG motors. I think the catch can is a waste of time despite what some YouTube yahoo thinks.

but in the GM ignition switch case it was not being cheap. It was just a mistake. Big difference.

GM has been behind the curve on ignition switch technology for what, forty years?
wink.gif

Catch cans are somewhat disproven by the millions of cars running fine without them. A great thing for the DIY mechanic who imagines he has the cleanest intake around, but no real proof of any benefit to a GDI engine's deposits on the valves.

I happened to have purchased a service manual for my 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv. The Skyactiv engine incorporates a self draining catch chamber into its PVC system. You can access it or the PCV valve without removing the intake manifold.

I meant to say you CAN'T access it without removing the intake manifold. I suppose it's part of Mazda's strategy to reduce the valve deposits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back