2018 Durango will be getting a new radiator this week

Took the family out for my sons birthday dinner tonight, was backing into the parking spot when I smelled coolant and saw the steam. Couldn’t find the leak at first only a potential location. I keep a gallon of coolant in the trunk area, topped off the reservoir, had dinner then limped it ten miles home.

Pulled up to the garage and saw a small amount of fluid on the ground, touched it/tasted it. I was like yeah, that’s coolant. Searched around for a few minutes checking hoses over thinking a spring clamp had relaxed and began to leak, then I shined the light on the inside fins and saw all the coolant on the drivers side radiator fins.

117,364 miles on the 2018 Pentastar V6, always had to top off the reservoir every 10k as I thought it was burning or evaporated just a little bit but maybe it was a pinhole leak that eventually got worse.

C9B3B5AC-57EF-4DF4-8170-60FB00F42AE3.jpeg

55D7024C-A520-4A6F-94D8-0B505266F11B.jpeg

05874212-6740-4DBB-88B6-78378FE152A8.jpeg

D9B73544-F316-4670-90D2-52161599B8C2.jpeg

Last edited:
That is where 90% of every radiator leak I have seen is at. The tanks are plastic and attached to the aluminum core which is the weak point. Reminds me I should go check the wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee and make sure her radiator is ok - it's at 167k miles.

That is where 90% of every radiator leak I have seen is at. The tanks are plastic and attached to the aluminum core which is the weak point. Reminds me I should go check the wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee and make sure her radiator is ok - it's at 167k miles.
Look over for a missing fin at the edge of the aluminum, appears to have started as a pin hole leak and got worse.

6986FA6D-A57B-4ED6-AD72-9E9779B836FD.jpeg

4.4 hour job by the book. I did plenty on Durango's and GC's, they aren't fun.
I've only done a KL Cherokee and that wasn't exactly fun. I have to wonder if Stellantis/whatever wasn't using a substandard manufacturer for their radiators around this time?

For the KLs I found reports of people doing them at 30-70k, and the one I did failed around 98k.

I feel like there's plenty of vehicles with plastic-tanked rads still going 200k+ on the original radiator? Maybe I'm out of touch or overly optimistic, but I don't think plastic tanks have to mean a short life span.

I've only done a KL Cherokee and that wasn't exactly fun. I have to wonder if Stellantis/whatever wasn't using a substandard manufacturer for their radiators around this time?

For the KLs I found reports of people doing them at 30-70k, and the one I did failed around 98k.

I feel like there's plenty of vehicles with plastic-tanked rads still going 200k+ on the original radiator? Maybe I'm out of touch or overly optimistic, but I don't think plastic tanks have to mean a short life span.

No idea who the OE supplier for Stellantis was at that time. Probably Valeo or Denso, but it could have been cheaper than that.

Looks like Mopar shows 2 radiators (well, 4): both a standard and a heavy duty (either w/ or w/o 1234yf). Can you (if you don't already have one) swap to the HD version?

Good ole stronger than steel plastic. Isn't that what all the plastic auto parts sales people always say?
I know power tool ones say it.

Good ole stronger than steel plastic. Isn't that what all the plastic auto parts sales people always say?
I know power tool ones say it.
Not sure steel was ever the material of choice for automotive rads?? ;) Maybe for the old timey house heating rads -- ya know the ones to which you chain the recalcitrant children?? Not that that was ever me...... ;)

No idea who the OE supplier for Stellantis was at that time. Probably Valeo or Denso, but it could have been cheaper than that.

Looks like Mopar shows 2 radiators (well, 4): both a standard and a heavy duty (either w/ or w/o 1234yf). Can you (if you don't already have one) swap to the HD version?
I did on the 2014 Grand Cherokee last August. Fit just fine. I did have to trim a small piece off the plastic bracket so the fan shroud wouldn't rub the radiator but that was easy.

Wasn't the easiest job to do overall but definitely do-able.

IIRC we used the Nissens 61040. Wasn't really inclined to order a Mopar replacement. No idea if it was a wise move but it fit well and it's working (shrug)

Not sure steel was ever the material of choice for automotive rads?? ;) Maybe for the old timey house heating rads -- ya know the ones to which you chain the recalcitrant children?? Not that that was ever me...... ;)
I was talking about the materials, not where, or what they were used on. Just mentioning their sales pitch.
And yeah a custom aluminum radiator would be better than one with plastic tanks.

Reactions: D60
Back