Interesting failed 2018 Nissan 5.6L video

GDI has been a mainstay since 1998. GDI is more taxing on oil. But it is ABSOLUTELY Nissan's or OWNERS' fault for inappropriate design or neglect, not GDI's.
Euro OEM's accounted for this in their OE approvals IMHO, while the domestics marques didn't do DI until quite a bit later and the Japanese marques just recommended API oil, which we know appears to be well behind the curve on dealing with this stuff.

The engine oil gets very sooty, very fast in that particular engine. It also seems as if it doesn't get good enough manifold vacuum, thus poor positive crankcase ventilation. IMO, the newer GDI 5.6 is suffering the same thing.
I can attest to that, our old Armada darkenedthe oil very quickly. Same when I changed The oil on my brother's Titan, within 500 mi it was noticeably darker

I am quickly disliking that motor. I have a 2014 Infinity QX80 here now that I have to do the timing chains along with the infamous *worn all the way thru* lifter bucket and high press fuel pump etc. Terrible design. If anybody has an tips due tell!

GDI has been a mainstay since 1998. GDI is more taxing on oil. But it is ABSOLUTELY Nissan's or OWNERS' fault for inappropriate design or neglect, not GDI's.
Which mainstream domestic or otherwise vehicle in the US came with GDI in 1998?

The first I know of was the 2004 or 2005 Isuzu Rodeo with the optional GDI 3.5L engine. The last production year for Isuzu passenger vehicles in the US.

Which mainstream domestic or otherwise vehicle in the US came with GDI in 1998?

The first I know of was the 2004 or 2005 Isuzu Rodeo with the optional GDI 3.5L engine. The last production year for Isuzu passenger vehicles in the US.
Mitsubishi/Volvo had GDI engines in 1998.
By 2005, numerous companies were using it.
GDI is not the culprit. Poor engineering or neglect is.

• Helpful
Reactions: JTK
Mitsubishi/Volvo had GDI engines in 1998.
By 2005, numerous companies were using it.
GDI is not the culprit. Poor engineering or neglect is.

On this side of the pond Peugeot/Citroen had a GDI version of their standard 2.0 4 cylinder petrol engine called 'HPI' and Ford did the same to their 1.8 Duratec and called it 'SCI'. This would have been in '99 to '00.

Last edited:
I am quickly disliking that motor. I have a 2014 Infinity QX80 here now that I have to do the timing chains along with the infamous *worn all the way thru* lifter bucket and high press fuel pump etc. Terrible design. If anybody has an tips due tell!
How did it look internally? Any idea on the oil change interval?

I didn't realize the QX80 used the GDI 5.6L, I thought they were still MPI at that time.

On this side of the pond Peugeot/Citroen had a GDI version of their standard 2.0 4 cylinder petrol engine called 'HPI' and Ford did the same to their 1.8 Duratec and called it 'SCI'. This would have been in '99 to '00.
That was on that side of the pond. In the US they were few years late bcs. NOx emissions requirements.

This thread is making me want to trade my Titan before it self-destructs. Unfortunately I got such a good deal on it I doubt I will be able to do as well today. Plus, I’m not really loving any of the choices in my price range now.

How did it look internally? Any idea on the oil change interval?

I didn't realize the QX80 used the GDI 5.6L, I thought they were still MPI at that time.
Typical for the miles with quick lube changes (160k) meaning not overly dirty but not spotless. The cam lobe is an issue they have that wears thru the lifter bucket then they lose fuel pressure at the high pressure pump. To replace the cam lobe the timing chains come off so that is why all new goes on. The cam lobe that drives the hp pump is actually chain driven and not attached to the actual camshaft.

This thread is making me want to trade my Titan before it self-destructs. Unfortunately I got such a good deal on it I doubt I will be able to do as well today. Plus, I’m not really loving any of the choices in my price range now.
Maybe step up to "good" oil, on short intervals, and hope for the best? I'm not sure what "good" is but I'm sure it's known here somewhere.

If you got it for a good deal, and it dies in a few years, and it's "best" to just stick a fork in it at that point... would you still feel like you got a good deal? If so, just run it. Maybe in the future a better deal will come along--and maybe you will get lucky and it'll simply last.

You bought your Titan new, so you know how it was treated and maintained from day one.

I wouldn't sweat it. Just be very conscious of your OCI and don't plan on keeping it forever.

You don't see the 5.6 failing all over the place. It's high mileage ones with issues and ones that stretched their OCI out too far for this particular engine.

You bought your Titan new, so you know how it was treated and maintained from day one.

I wouldn't sweat it. Just be very conscious of your OCI and don't plan on keeping it forever.

You don't see the 5.6 failing all over the place. It's high mileage ones with issues and ones that stretched their OCI out too far for this particular engine.
Well, I’ve had it for six years and only driven it 43k miles, so I figure I have a way to go. I bought the AA Platinum warranty when the factory one expired, but I would bet they would deny a claim for the infamous cylinder 7 scoring because they would classify it as a “known and acknowledged factory defect.”

This is all just idle speculation and hand-wringing on my part. So far I haven’t had a single problem with it. I guess I need to occasionally start using M1 0w-40 to keep the insides clean.

I’ve had the same whispers in my head regarding my f150 with the 10r80. But I look around and wouldn’t want any of the other models either, and I enjoy driving it every day. There’s nothing to solve and it’s just rolling the dice to another vehicle. And mine might could last a long, long time. I’ll keep driving it….. it still meets all the needs for which I bought it.

Back