ridiculous consumption of GDI engine oil 110k miles

Tengo un hilo aquí sobre un remojo de pistón que hice en mi Kia 2.4 de mis hijos. Estaba usando un litro de petróleo en unas 500 millas. Tampoco sale humo del tubo de escape. ¡Hasta ahora, el remojo del pistón ha ayudado mucho! Ha recorrido 500 millas y no ha usado aceite. El aceite también se volvía negro oscuro muy rápido, lo que supongo que era por el soplo en los cilindros. ¡Espero que tengas tanto éxito con el remojo de tu pistón como yo hasta ahora!
Thanks, I know the piston soak is very risky but I hope it works as much as it worked for you. My mechanic did several extra things that I will tell you about here in a few days. Today I received the car after the entire process and the engine feels stronger and responds much better when accelerating. As the days go by I will tell you. I have learned a lot here at BITOG, I have dedicated several hours to reading many experiences about engine oils and gearboxes in this incredible community, I hope to be able to contribute with my experiences as well.

The oil consumption has nothing to do with the engine being GDI, and everything with how it was designed and manufactured.
Kia/Hyundai grew too quickly for their own good and now it’s becoming clear where they cut corners to do so.
Yeah I always knew there was a good reason why Hyundai/Kia vehicles are so cheap compared to most other brands. If you want a vehicle that is (mostly) trouble free long-term, it probably won't be a Hyundai or Kia... spend a little more and get a lot better.

Decided to top off the '18 Accent ( 1.6 Ltr. w/ G.D.I. ) with 2 ounces of P.P. 5w-20 . Close to 4,000 miles on oil and has strong odor of gas . Won't be long for O.C.. Close to 48,000 miles since new .

Last edited:
Decided to top off the '18 Accent ( 1.6 Ltr. w/ G.D.I. ) with 2 ounces of P.P. 5w-20 . Close to 4,000 miles on oil and has strong odor of gas . Won't be long for O.C.. Close to 48,000 miles since new .
IMG_3801.JPG
IMG_3804.JPG
IMG_3805.JPG
IMG_3806.JPG

We have had many Hyundai kia vehicles.....all of them were great.
Proper fluid changes and good top tier fuel.

They were all better than our last Honda. That thing was a real dog.

I'll never buy another Honda again.

hey how are you all? I was trying to research this more and it seems to be typical for these GDI engines, it consumes about 2 quarts or more every 1000 miles, it's ridiculous (it consumes even using much more viscous oil than recommended). Ultimately I'll have to change the engine or just scrap the car haha it has 108k miles and it's silly for it to consume all that oil. I have a 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander with double the miles and the oil consumption is zero, ultimately I'm not a fan of GDI.
I see your location is El Salvador. Do you have emissions inspections?

2qt/1000 miles is the edge of “normal” according to oems. Not cheap to keep feeding it, but cheaper than a new vehicle.

I’d probably look to get the oil that is as gentle on the emissions system as possible, then live with it. A Kia with 110k miles doesn’t have much value, and I’m not sure how much longer it will last. Just run it.

Of course you can always check compression, do piston soaks, etc. Not hard on a 4cyl. But when you find bad news then what.

A lot of vendors won’t even look at warranty until it’s worse than 1qt in 500mi… so you’re not horrible

I see your location is El Salvador. Do you have emissions inspections?

2qt/1000 miles is the edge of “normal” according to oems. Not cheap to keep feeding it, but cheaper than a new vehicle.

I’d probably look to get the oil that is as gentle on the emissions system as possible, then live with it. A Kia with 110k miles doesn’t have much value, and I’m not sure how much longer it will last. Just run it.

Of course you can always check compression, do piston soaks, etc. Not hard on a 4cyl. But when you find bad news then what.

A lot of vendors won’t even look at warranty until it’s worse than 1qt in 500mi… so you’re not horrible
Yes, I'm from El Salvador and we don't have emissions inspections you can drive a V8 without catalytic converter and it'll be ok haha.

My Rio was drinking 4 qt/900 miles literally, it's insane! but I'll tell you piston soaks worked. I'm waiting to drive 1000 miles... I'm just driving and waiting :)

Back